Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-21-06, 04:53 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Ever get p.o.'d at your fishing partner

Ya ever have a bad day with a guy in a boat(of course you're stuck with him till ya hit the ramp).
Case in point, a few examples, one being you find a sweet hot spot with large bass, happen to be with a boater the next day and after about 6 casts he pulls the trolling motor up to hit "his spots"
(thats why all of use need a bass boat huh, to make the call rofl)
The incident that really changed me fishing with a guy that coached me for years was his lack of patience...to this day I won't fish with the guy if he asks...depending on his mood, he would occasionally blow up in a tiraid
episodes of "loosing his cool". Another trait I disliked was a last minute cancellation ..ya plan a day on the water, and this guy knew yesterday he couldn't go, but waits till the last second to call ya with the bad news..
I've generally tried to weed out the guys that have problems and take it out on the world...
Ya start to see why many never can continuously win in tourneys, even tho on any given day of pleasure fishing, they can out number ya in the live well dept. ...things like showing up ON TIME to the ramp time after time,
blowing up after a lost fish, or going apesh*t after loosing a contest by mere ounces...lets face it, when you fish tons of tourneys, many are won/lost by fraction of a lb...
Another gripe is a guy that won't share his successful
bait, sure he's getting them on a 5 inch craw and has 200 of them in his box, but try to get him to give ya one and hes a prick! I figure if ya have enough to go around and their hitting' on it, spread em around brother!

Whats yer all's biggest gripe from a past experience of bass fishing? Did it change your view on calling the same person up in the future to go out?

Last edited by JB; 11-21-06 at 05:00 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 06:22 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

last saturday! my first tournament ever,i know the guy really well and we trust each other,but at blast off,he wanted to go all the way to the other side of the lake! we ended up getting lost in a fog for 2 hours and we only had 1 mile left to get to his "good spot". so then we go to another one of his spots,but the water was down and it went from 5 feet to 2feet with stumps all around. then,i tell him we are going to my spot,and on the way back,i see this long point with a bunch of trees and bulrushes in 4 feet of water,and my first cast,i get an 11''er,then 5 minutes later,i get an 8''er! they are small,but we found what they were hitting and where they were. so then,he decides he wants to go to this spot and i am like"noooooo!". so we end up catching nothing back at his"spot" and i tell him,"we have only an hour left,lets go back to that spot where i caught fish". so we went back,and my first cast,i get a 14'',1.9lb largemouth bass,the only one weighed in by my age group,and i ended up wininng the tourney. from now on,i will tell him where to go.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 06:31 PM   #3
zooker

hell yes..
i rarely explode.. i almost went off when i got nannered..

zooker
Old 11-21-06, 06:33 PM   #4
skeeter944

lol! i made my partner throw his nanner out!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 06:38 PM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

yes!
sometimes I fish with a friend who is like obsessed with golf.
anyways well be out on a boat in the middle of the lake, and hell cast and get a birdsnest. he gets mad, and once he fixes it, he doesnt catch anythign for 30 minutes. while he is messing around, i am catching fish after fish.
he gets in a big pout, and demands that we pull the boat to the side of the lake, so he can look for golf balls. im like, the heck with that! im staying here and catching fish. in the end, he just leaves me catching fish on the boat to go get 2 or 3 golf balls.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 07:27 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
hell yes..
i rarely explode.. i almost went off when i got nannered..

zooker
Flyrod nannered me one time. We also had one of our best days on the water-nanner in reverse ?
Old 11-21-06, 08:19 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i used to fish tourneys with a guy that would always say "that bite was a small fish"and shake it off without even seeing the fish.or he'd catch a barely keeper and throw it back without measuring it.i could have killed him a hunnert times.but he's still my friend and i would fish with him anytime.he's now a good friend of someone we all know way down south and fishes with him often...ring a bell, scott?..lmao!please don't tell him i said that.the guy is like a brother to me.
Old 11-21-06, 08:41 PM   #8
pig n jig

Hell no, we get along alright.Why ? Did he tell you we don't get along very well ? Dammit I've had with his attitude.....

In all seriousness, we used to fight worse than brothers.I have learned so much from Jeff, yet he hasn't learned a damned thing from me.He finally dumped me as his partner for a guy named Fred. I still fish with him and even help prefish tournaments with, or for him. He and Fred were the Avon angler points champions this year.I got to fish against him once this summer on a smaller open tournament.I found good fish in shallow in the milfoil in less than 3 feet of water 2 days prior. Before the tournament started, I told him I had found them and I told him what depth I had found them at.At the end of the day, I won, he was second, he did not believe that I could beat him.He seen me in fishing shallow, but didn't think I knew what I was doing.It was funny when they asked me what lure I used, it was a jig that Jeff makes and it was the jig skills that Jeff had taught me. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 11:52 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
i used to fish tourneys with a guy that would always say "that bite was a small fish"and shake it off without even seeing the fish.or he'd catch a barely keeper and throw it back without measuring it.i could have killed him a hunnert times.but he's still my friend and i would fish with him anytime.he's now a good friend of someone we all know way down south and fishes with him often...ring a bell, scott?..lmao!please don't tell him i said that.the guy is like a brother to me.
ROTFLMAO

I fish with this guy "EVERY SUNDAY" on his Champion boat. We are starting to fish tourneys together. He is a good fisherman, but is always fishing how he likes, and I just go for the ride. We work well together, becuase he just loves to catch a lot of fish, and I am always trying more for the bigger fish. We are both new to Florida(he's been here about 2 years, me 1 year). We are still trying to figure out the waters, be we still are fishing together "Every Sunday". I won't say a word to him Tom He's actually off after turkey weekend and gonna fish a ABA tourney, I said no, I wasn't gonna fish from the back of somebodies boat, and be in competition with them. I already know how that would turn out, even if I beat him, it would be a bad day on the water I'm sure. I like the buddy tourneys, or if I'm fishing from the back, I wanna be competing against the other backseaters, not the guy in front running the boat, I have little chance of beating them for the cash IMO. Not saying I can't do it, but not gonna pay out money to put myself in that position, and have someone pissed I beat them off their own boat.

Lizards
Old 11-21-06, 11:53 PM   #10
lizardsrule

And yes JB I've been PO'd before at some boaters, and fishing partners. But that's life when you fish tourneys without your own boat. I just keep fishing, and hopefully beat them anyways.

Lizards
Old 11-22-06, 12:38 AM   #11
Jackl

I know what you mean. I have a very good friend, but all he will fish with is those #*&#!#& crank baits. It does not make any difference what kind of cover, whether it is stump fields, submerged grass, floating hyacinths, brush piles, beaver dams or whatever, he fishes those damned crankbaits. I kick his butt everytime we fish together, using my plastics, but he will not change. I will be fishing a bank with heavy brush or submerged bushes and every five minutes I hear, "hold it, i'm hung up". Then to keep from getting hung up, he will cast 30 yards ahead of the boat (across my line) and I am unable to reel in until he gets his lure in or gets me tangled with his #%&#@&%* crankbait. I have told him numerous times that if he wants to fish parallel to the bank that he should cast behind the boat. He says "it's just not the same"
I quit fishing with him except when I am going out of state and can't find another partner to go.

JackL
Old 11-22-06, 03:19 AM   #12
islandbass

Woh, what stories, and here I am, one who fishes alone and from the shore 99.8% of the time because none of my buddies fish. And I have these thoughts about how it would be great to fish with a partner, but after these stories, maybe it's a good thing I fish alone.
Old 11-22-06, 08:59 AM   #13
JB

My best fishing buddy tony has gone to some of my spots with me near Moors on Ky lake and ruined it by going after a used crankbait he saw in the buckbrush, more or less used the trolling motor prop to grind his way into the area and plucked the lure, even tho the days before that cut was giving up some huge fish, but he's the one exception to my "case in pts."
I like and respect him to much to get p.o.d to long at him, besides it was the day after a week of prefishing and a two day tourney, we had to go out just one more time a day after the tourney before we headed back to ohio.
One other issue comes to mind, a guy that "gives up" about by noon ..I've seen guy lay on their back for a few hours while I was up front, they figured the morning bite was all that was happening that day, then come back to life after ya swing a few dinks in the boat, (usually sleepin off that drunk from the nite before I'd say rofl)
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 10:23 AM   #14
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had a buddy one time that was always saying "let's go fishing" and when I would call him to go he would make up some excuse not to go. When he finally went with me, I sarted skunking him, so he got mad and put his rod down and said he was done for the rest of the day. He wouldn't go with me again. Said there was no reason if he wasn't going to catch anything. Needless to say, I don't ask him anymore.

My wife has a friend who is dating this guy who talks about how good he is at bass fishing, but will never go with me. Everytime they come to the house he says "let's hook up the boat and hit the lake." He always did this on nights that I had to work the next morning, or had somewhere to go, so I called his bluff on it one night. I knew they were coming over so I hooked the boat up and had everything ready to go. He walked in the house, and as usual. looks at me and says it again. I looked at him and said "let's go!! I'm hooked up and ready." He backed down and came up with some excuse about having to mow his yard the next day. I knew he was full of bull!!! The only type of fishing he ever wants to do is go to some d*mn paylake and fish for catfish. I have told him time and time again that I can put him on some big cats in the lakes that I fish if he wants to, but he would rather sit on the bank trying for something he knows he isn't going to catch.
Old 11-22-06, 07:15 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Woh, what stories, and here I am, one who fishes alone and from the shore 99.8% of the time
ib i bass fish by my self 90% of the time now. from my own lil bass rig..

zooker
Old 11-23-06, 11:15 AM   #16
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Flyrod nannered me one time. We also had one of our best days on the water-nanner in reverse ?
Well, I blessed the nanners first, intoning the OU Chant...OOOOOO-KAYYYYYY-ELLLLLL-AYYYYYYYY-AAAAAAAAITCH-OOOOOOO-EMMMMMMM-AY-AYYYYYYY.

Do I get angry with a partner? Not with any of the three I mostly fish with. Do I get frustrated at times, sure, but we all do. Would I let it affect the friendship and respect I share with them, never.

Rod, F.
Saintly fellow (well, mostly.)
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 09:44 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post

Rod, F.
Saintly fellow (well, mostly.)
heard the ham and cheese sandwich is an endangered thing around you fly farter.
Old 11-23-06, 10:04 PM   #18
Rebbasser

Quote:
intoning the OU Chant...OOOOOO-KAYYYYYY-ELLLLLL-AYYYYYYYY-AAAAAAAAITCH-OOOOOOO-EMMMMMMM-AY-AYYYYYYY.

ou chant? I'm surprised the dang boat didn't sink!

Flyrod, you sure that wasn't something Ms. Plug said ?

Last edited by Rebbasser; 11-23-06 at 11:22 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 11:10 PM   #19
BPACA

Only time I get po'd is if they ever disrespect any of my equipment.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 11:47 PM   #20
FlyRod

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
heard the ham and cheese sandwich is an endangered thing around you fly farter.
Ask Reb when was the last time he saw me eat one.
I can't remember it either.
Hope you had a great T'giving and only ate three KrispyKreme (stores) for dessert.

FR
Old 11-23-06, 11:49 PM   #21
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
ou chant? I'm surprised the dang boat didn't sink!

Flyrod, you sure that wasn't something Ms. Plug said ?
That's MISS Plugg to you, sonny.

I say, gig them, chaps! Rah, rah, sisboombah!
Kill the effin' Whorns!

FR
Old 11-24-06, 02:04 AM   #22
Jolly

My only fishing partner is my pop, so there isn't much to get mad at. We fish the same stuff, same equipment same technique... why because he taught me! Only time I got PO'd is when he hooked me in the face with a jerkbait! Hurt, but we caught alot of fish, lol! Other than that, it's nice to have the old man buy the tackle, the beer and the gas! I just buy the breakfast burritos!

Jolly
Old 11-24-06, 09:16 AM   #23
CMorg

Not really P.O.D at my fishing partner , but po'd none the less , One place I fish at ( an old strip pit ) I cought a few 5#'s in , this guy was in the newspaper , it seems that on november 12th. he cought a 10.14 on a pig n jig.. , Im not po'd about that so much as , went there wednesday, and now its posted NO TRESSPASSING , violators will be prosecuted. Well so much for fishing there again..
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 11:51 AM   #24
Rebbasser

Quote:
That's MISS Plugg to you, sonny.
I stand corrected
Old 11-25-06, 05:38 PM   #25
flfireman

Pretty much fish by myself 90% of the time. Bad thing is I still piss myself off from time to time. Have a buddy who tends to go ape sh$t pretty regularly. I've actually witnessed him break a rod because he missed a fish, or the 5 minute tirade of profanities after losing a worm. Love him like a brother, will take him with me anytime he wants. I fish to relax, when I stop relaxing while fishing. I sit down drink a beer or a gatorade and smack myself once or twice. Don't see a need to get mad at having the free time to go out and catch the elusive BASS. There are some that can't or won't even fish. I believe they all come from mental homes.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.