Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-05-11, 08:20 AM   #1
troygolden222
BassFishin.Com Member

Default need help! johnson 200 venom

I am thinking about buying a 1995 javelin t400 duel axel trailer that looks brand new....one catch he thinks the power head is gone. The last time it was used a year ago he was going 70 and a loud noise came up and the engine stopped. If you try to start it the it turns a quarter rotation then locks up. There are shards of metal in the bottom, but the whole unit looks brand new. What will have to be done? New power head? Im getting it for $1500.
troygolden222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 08:31 AM   #2
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Look it as all you are buying... is boat hull and trailer

Last edited by hardhead; 08-05-11 at 10:01 AM.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 12:34 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i own a 97 cajun rig with a 200 hp johnson venom motor. if there are shards of metal in there, it's done, rebuild from the bottom up. MY suggestion is to get an estimate from a RELIABLE mechanic FIRST! IN WRITING!! these are VERY good motors, mine is doing jsut fine by the way. i would think it would cost somewhere around $2500.00 to $5000.00 to rebuild this motor, JUST a guess now ok?
so.....oyu gotta ask yourself. is it worth spending maybe 5 grand to rebuild a bad motor PLUS the cost of $1500.00 that's $6500.00 righ there. then oyu are gonna want to add new electronics and other things i am sure. NEW gps electronis are gonna run oyu another 2-3 grand if oyu go with the high end stuff. or can oyu find a NEWER model rig that is ALREADY to go for somewhere close to this 6-8 grand price oyu'll be shelling out on rebuilding the 95 model? sounds like it's a bad deal for a boat over 15 yrs old don't it?
now i ain't trying to tell you NOT to do it, jsut giving oyu some REAL numbers to think about here. in todays economy, there are a LOT of rigs out there oyu can get that are water ready for 8-10 grand. and all oyu have to do it go fishing.
like i said, not wanting to make oyu look bad or nothing, jsut some more fat to chew on pal.
Old 08-07-11, 07:15 AM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Rebuild (total)anywhere from 2400 to 3500 depending upon whats done,and what needs to be done,as for the price its good,the boat and trailer is worth that.Regardless of what many think of their rigs thats about what insurance would pay if damaged.
As for the motor consider buying another from a dealer who guarantees his rebuilds for a tad more and trade that blown one in,less trouble.It does have to be omc unless you desire changing out cables ,controls etc.
So figgure on adding 3.5-6k to that price to have a decent working rig.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.