Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-19-15, 12:17 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Leaping bass lost.

Fishing yesterday from my boat for the first time this spring, it was a pretty day and fishing was ok. Caught about a dozen small bass which were at least fun to catch after a long cold winter. At one point, I was working my NU-JIG black/blue with craw trailer through the branches of a nice laydown. At one point, I was sowing pulling the jig over a twig which was about two feet above the water. As the jig dangled a few inches above the water, a bass about 3 pounds came out of the water and snatched it in mid air. My pulse quickened, but five seconds later, it was gone. I believe the bass just grabbed the trailer as half of it was torn from the jig when I got it back to the boat. But it sure added excitement to the day.
Old 04-19-15, 12:34 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have had bass come out of the water after a jig being crawled over a log, it can startle you as you do not expect that. I also had one of those mentally impaired Canadian bass come out of the water after a spinnerbait hung up on a low hanging bush after a rare errant cast...
that one got itself hooked and freed the lure for me. I yo-yoing the spinnerbait trying to free it and it hit the water a few times, about the third time the bass went for it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 05:05 PM   #3
bassinbob

That's cool. I've tried dangling baits like that before but never had a taker. I've had bass take buzzbaits before they hit the water though. Glad you got to enjoy catching them.
Old 04-21-15, 10:34 AM   #4
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've never had a bass come out of the water after a lure. But I have had numerous sunfish chase a popper or other fly out of the water. Most memorable of those was when I had wrapped a fly around a branch a foot or so above the water. I had a nice sized bluegill jump up and hook itself on the fly. Since it was wrapped, I had to move the boat over to it to get it off the branch.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 08:58 PM   #5
lilmule

I have,tossed a spinnerbait over a limb,bass came up and out 1 ft to get it,yes hooked but not large enough to be a keeper here-15 in was 14 1/2 and not enough weight to bring both down, had to in and get it the hard way.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.