Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-12-11, 04:55 PM   #1
Boris
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bass boat questions from sweden :D

Hi everyone in new here and i have some questions about bass boats
im from Sweden and i want to get a bass boat for fishing but i wonder how do u store ur boats do u keep it in the water all the time or do u trail it and keep it in a garage ?

the reason i ask is some summers we have really bad weather and it rains alot
and does it rain in the storage "boxes" and all u gear will float around in water? or do u cover it with something?

and how does the boat work in rough water ? ofc it depends on what type u have but general?

so sorry for my bad English but i cant find any forums about bass boats on Sweden sites
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 05:25 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

No need to apolagize for your English, we are able to understand what you are meaning and that is all we need to help. Personally I keep my boat in a storage facility that is just a few miles down the road from my house because once we get my wifes truck and my tuck in the garage we have no place to keep it and I won't leave it outside. Some people keep their boats in their garage, others keep them in storage facilities like I do, some people are lucky enough to live on the lake where they keep them in their own covered docks, some people rent boat slips at a marina on their home lake and the boat will stay there. There really are a lot of choices but you need to choose the one that protects your boat the best while being convenient for you. A boat cover is a great investment no matter where you keep the boat because they will do a great job at protecting the boat as well as keeping people out of your stuff. If you pull the bilge plug in your boat then the water should drain out of the boat if it should rain while it was uncovered (be sure that the nose of the boat is jacked up to where it is higher than the back of the boat). How a boat will perform in rough water really depends on a lot of factors. The bigger the boat the better it will ride for starters (a 21 foot long boat will handle rough water much better than a 18 foot boat in the same water). There are different designs in boats that will give one boat an advantage over another boat of the same size. Hull design and weight of the boat are two of the biggest factors (the heavier the boat the better it's going to ride generally speaking). There are also some options in boats that will help keep you comfortable in rough water, for example my Triton 21x has SAS seats (spring loaded seasts) which take all the abuse out of running in rough water.
Old 01-12-11, 05:31 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow, we're going international....sweet!
Welcome to the site, Boris. You'll definitely need to either keep the boat in a garage or cover it with a good cover. Staying wet means it will grow mildew and ruin a lot of stuff. I trailer my boat back home and park it in the driveway, with a decent cover. Most people don't leave their boat in the water all the time, unless they live right on the lake. Even then, they'll put it on a hoist of some kind to get it out of the water if they plan on not using it for a long period of time.
To clarify, what do you mean by rough water? 1' swells, 3' swells, and so on? Most bass boats aren't meant to handle really big waves, because they're built to be fast and low to the water. Generally, anything over maybe 3' is pretty serious, at least it is to me. Of course, the bigger the boat, the better it will do in rough water.
By the way, your English is just fine. You're actually doing better than a lot of Americans on here...
Old 01-12-11, 06:10 PM   #4
Boris
BassFishin.Com Member

hi and thanks for fast answers. i live close to my mooring like 5 min walk or 1 min ride with car and i don't have any type of garage or marina that can offer covered docks.
but my father works as a upholsterer and he works with cars and boats to so he can help me make a good working cover for the boat. do u think it could work to have the boat in the water whit a good cover and if u check it on rainy days ? and don't have your fishing gear in the boat?

i really want a bass boat it looks like the perfect fishing boat, but if i gotta have it in a garage or storage place I'm afraid i have to consider a different kind of boat
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 06:50 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the BEST fishing site on the web boris. i have ot agree with my 2 friends. COVER IT with a WATERPROOF cover if at all possible pal. it will be ok if oyu leave it in the water during the SUMMER months over there, but NOT DURING the winter my friend. you get a LOT of ice on that water buddy. i would either hoist it up or take it out completly.frozen waters can crush the hull of a fiberglass boat. if oyu really want a bass boat, great, but as carolina rig stated as well as mississippiboy, if oyu have really big swells on oyur water, a bass boat is NOT what i would recconmend. you need a high wall rig. there are some rigs made that are just right for those types of water. look at what some of our fishermen use on the GREAT LAKES here. they are capaable of fishing for bass, as well as many other species of fish. good luck with your purchase buddy. and yes..your english is MUCH better than some of ours. over here we are a people seperated by a common laungage, haha.
do not be afraid to ask us ANYTING!! here we truly believe there is NO STUPID qwuestion, jsut stupid answers. also, don't get mad if there is a little joking around. we mean NO HARM. we just like to have alot of fun with each other. kick off your shoes, loosen oyur belt buckle, grab your favorite drink. and get redady to laugh alot. and above all.....HAVE FUN!!

ps. as you can see i can't type worth a crap, hahahaha.
Old 01-12-11, 07:34 PM   #6
lilmule

They also get a lot of rain,if left on the water some sort of auto bilge pump,even with a cover.
From what I gather from my finnish friends,something like an aluminum v hull is most commonly used in that part of the world.Somewhat akin to canadians and walleye and lake trout fishing,not bass fishing.
Bass boats with wood transoms need to be cared for kept dry,not a good choice to leave on or in the water,brought home even stored in the front yard and covered minimal but ok.An aluminum one can be stored on the bank and flipped over so it wont hold water.light easy to reflip and launch,also easy to steal,unless chained to something.If with motor can be covered and left on water,it wont rot.
Your english is better than my soumea.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-12-11 at 07:47 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 11:39 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Hi, Boris. Welcome to the site!

I thought I would put up a couple pictures to show you some of what we're talking about here.

This first picture shows our boat out of the water with its cover on. In our case it is stored in a garage during the winter, which is the only time we have it covered with the cover you see here.

During the warmer months here (May thru October), it's either out on the water being used or it's kept up on a boat lift that sits right beside our dock. We don't keep it covered with the actual boat cover when it's on the lift because we can put it up as high as we need to up under the canopy so it can stay dry inside.

Good luck in your search for a boat. I hope you find one that will work well for you!

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.