Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > What's New

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-10, 09:15 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the site HarveysMinnow!

While I don't have any problems with these "wicked notches," that is a great idea you've got for those who do.

BB
Old 06-27-10, 07:50 AM   #27
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default follow up

Mac's adaptation with a bolt has merit also. One could even add a couiple of large washers (fender washers I think they are called) and a threaded nut to snug the CD or whatever against the line spool. The trailing end of the bolt could then be clamped to a table, work bench, boat transom, etc. Experimentation will determine what works best for you.
Old 06-27-10, 08:57 AM   #28
bamabassman

welcome to the site harvey. i am sure everyone here will enjoy your input, like the thread you posted here, as much as me. kick off yer shoes and socks and have a good time with us.
Old 06-27-10, 05:30 PM   #29
carolina-rig-01

Hey man welcome to the site and great tip! You just gave me a "why didn't I think of that?" moment.
Old 06-27-10, 05:48 PM   #30
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

that idea can also be implemented in combination of one of these spool holders:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...004000_100-4-0
Old 08-30-10, 08:34 PM   #31
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I find it most disconcerting that a simple design to hold the line in place would cause such a clamity. How many spools of line do you guys use in a year? I guess it never really occured to me that this an issue. I have always just dropped the spool on the antenna of my burbon and reeled the line on the spool. Always label up for some reason unknown to me..

But if you use the dreaded mono or flouro I could see the issue..

I love the cd idea.. but I will never use it most likely (braid).

Good post...

Capt Mike
Old 09-24-10, 10:19 PM   #32
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I hate the blooming notch. So when I'm spooling spinning reels I take the line off the plastic spool and wind it on to one of my custom teak or Brazilian Cherry spools with beveled edges - no problems.
Old 09-26-10, 11:26 AM   #33
BlueDaksi

X2 I am pro-notch. I have much more trouble with line coming off of a spool when I don't want it to than having it catch when I'm spooling it onto a reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think this is a pointless argument. I've never had any problems spooling up with these so called evil notches. However, I don't spool my spinning reels off the side of the spool. I use the same old phonebook trick that I use for baitcasters.

I will be spooling up next time like Kevin suggested to see if this is a real problem or if it's an over exaggerated issue like you see countless times on infomercial demonstrations. You know, when the non-Ronco knives clearly crush the loaf of bread which has nothing to do with him pushing down on the top of the loaf...

In fact, I like the notches better than that stupid piece of white "tape" other line companies use to hold the tag end on the spool. the tape never stays on, and I've lost countless pieces. I find it very hard, or near impossible, to lose the notches on the spool, or more specifically, whatever is used on the back of the spool to hold the line. The notches are there just for one reason only, and that is to keep the line from slipping around the spool when it is clipped/wrapped to the holder on the back of the spool.

I'd like to know if anyone has contacted any of the line manufacturers to ask why they use them. I'm sure its for the reason I stated above, but there could be other reasons.

I beleive if it is as big of a problem as it is made out to be here, then the line companies would have already fixed the problem.

BB

Last edited by BlueDaksi; 09-26-10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-28-10, 06:50 PM   #34
basshunter21

Damn I guess kevin must have a easy life if this is what bothers him. haha I have no problems with the notch.
Old 01-28-11, 04:58 PM   #35
dropshot
BassFishin.Com Member

you can soak your spool in hot water an that will reform the memory an help on spenning rod
Old 02-18-11, 04:15 PM   #36
mrmuskie5

What does my dad say all the time....? oh yeah "son dont sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff" LOL! sorry i had to.
Old 02-26-11, 08:24 AM   #37
pabassfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

@dropshot thanks for the soaking the spool in the hot water works pretty good and never by zebco omniflex line its like a bomb of notches and knots from day it was bought
Old 03-28-11, 09:26 PM   #38
Frogman20
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree notches are annoying and just plain useless for the most part. I like the rubber band, suites the same purpose without snagging line or flipping the spool. It is a much bigger deal for braided line because of the frays that cause massive damage to the line.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.