Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-23-12, 10:38 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crankbait made soft

I have a little thing I do to my crankbaits that I’d like to share and since I probably won’t be fishing against any of you in tournament….what the heck. I’ve always wanted to make my cranks as life like as possible. I simple coat my cranks with aquarium silicone. I know what you’re thinking but hear me out. I simple take a small brush bought from Wal Mart or even Harbor Freight tools and some clear drying silicone. I usually try a dab on my workbench first just to make sure it dries to my liking and is soft. I run a thin bead down the back and both sides and run the brush from nose to tail creating a thin even coat. I leave the hooks on (at least the rear treble) for this makes it easier to hang the crank to dry. You do have to be careful when doing the nose and belly as to not get silicone on your split rings but it’s fairly easy to get off if you do get some on them. I did an experiment where I took two cranks that I had applied silicone to (I cut the trebles off at the bend) I threw those two cranks all day and was a little fascinated by the results. The bass were holding onto the crankbaits there was no barb to stick them. Several bass held on long enough for me to almost belly grab them. I was blown away. Here’s what I can say about what the silicone does. It gives the body a soft/mushy feel. The silicone changes/alters the sound of the rattle….I think this helped to change the sound that some bass may have become accustom to. The silicone greatly increases the sent I apply to my cranks. I actually have two jars filled with bang (in the oil version) that I allow my most used cranks to just sit in and soak. The silicone losses its nasty smell after about 4 hours of drying and I often prep my cranks the evening before I go out. I haven’t done a crank yet that the silicone changed the action of the crank. You can vary the thickness sometimes I’ll apply a 2nd coat to some cranks that I know I will be throwing against riprap. I even throw some up on the bank (structure permitting of course) and pull the crank back into the water. The silicone not only helps the crank from cracking but also preserves the finish. When the bass tear up the silicone (a single coating usually lasts a couple of seasons and I fish Jan to Dec 25. Sorry long post but wanted to share this because I’ve gotten so much from this forum. I know this may only appeal to some of the diehard crankers but it worth a look at even to the occasional cranker. It’s cheap and easy. Got any questions hit me up. Here’s a crank that has silicone on it

Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 11:00 PM   #2
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thats an interesting idea that I'd be willing to try on a few cranks....thanks for the tip.
Old 08-24-12, 06:36 AM   #3
kennethdaysale

Thanks for the tweek CB. Kinda reminds me of a product Berkley(?) came out with 20+ yrs ago that came in a tube.......was supposed to put like a slime coat on lures......washed off after a couple of casts......had an owl snot type of feel....can't remember the name. I can imagine when you put scent on a "silicone" plug it would be slick.

BTW all the cranks I've got with the sure set hooks are rear mounted. Want to say something about why you've got yours moved up front?
Old 08-24-12, 06:59 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First off, it's good to see you back in here in the forums again! Interresting idea for sure. I just might have to play with that idea a bit.
Old 08-24-12, 08:27 AM   #5
IUbass

I'm definitely willing to try this out! I have a question thought. I can't tell if you coated tw lip or not, did you?
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-12, 07:00 PM   #6
bassinbob

This is one great tip. Gotta try it. Thanks Crankbait.

Owl snot?
Old 08-25-12, 03:17 AM   #7
Crankbait

Thanks KDog I’m about to jump back into fishing……head first…Kenn I actually used to put them on both…..depending on the depth of the crank I use I put a larger treble on the back and a smaller sure set on the the front… I have good success that way. Also that particular crank I throw around a lot of structure and run it down laydowns and it doesn’t get snagged…IUbass no I don’t coat the lip. Any silicone I get on the split ring or lip I rub off.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 07:08 PM   #8
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have seen this in play before I guess I can say I can see the benefits. In most of the tournaments I either fish as a boater or non boater any kind of smelling sauce as a matter of personal preference and pure pickiness of my own boat - I don’t allow any kind of sauce or dies on the boat, some of the guys I fish with as a non boater has the same rule. So if the sauce holds longer then I guess someone could use this method before boarding to his or her likings. Thanks for the tip.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.