Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-12, 03:55 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Cold weather high pressure system

Now I know the challenges of clear bright sunny days (high pressure) and fishing.
But now that where I fish (Wisconsin) the weather is cold.
I also know that as much as one degree change can trigger a feeding instinct or stop a feeding instinct in my beloved bass.

So shouldn't the bite actually get better in the cold with the HP system bringing all the sun and hence shoreline water temp. increase.
Very little change on a cloudy day.

Wouldn't later in the day be better than early morning? Again, sun heating up the shore line water.
Wouldn't darker water be better than clear water?
Wouldn't the east end warm more than the west end? I know the west end warms faster, they say, in the spring but in Nov. is this the same?
Logically it should but for some reason in my mind, the east gets the sun at the 'warmest' angle for a longer time in the winter. (sun distance, angle, etc)? The west end ices usually before the east end.

Thoughts are welcome from everyone whether your deep south or out west or right here in the countries best, the Midwest. Ya you easterners are welcome too!
Old 11-19-12, 06:39 PM   #2
bassboogieman

I haven't a clue. This time of year I take my combos apart, clean them and put them away for the winter. My tackle is boxed and in the basement. Boat is winterized, the kayak is stored. I am not thinking about fishing until sometime in March. A five month hiatus, that's what it is.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 08:05 PM   #3
joedog

Thanks Bruce.
Old 11-19-12, 08:56 PM   #4
woody

Joe, the north shores warm quicker than the southern shores; because of the angle of the Sun during the winter months.

Joe, I respect your desire to learn about fishing.. we have much in common.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 09:14 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I haven't a clue.
What, did I read this right? Is that a typo Bruce? Does anyone else see this? I'm making a note of this one for future use.
Old 11-19-12, 09:19 PM   #6
joedog

Woody thank you for your input.

But is my thinking right, more sunshine is better, hence the high front maybe more active?
Especially in the afternoon?
Old 11-19-12, 09:56 PM   #7
keithdog

I would think that sunshine would help attract bass to the shallows durring extended cold periods such as we have now. Much as it would in the spring. However, the bass are already programmed to move into the shallows in the spring to spawn. So I doubt it would be as strong a draw this time of year, when heading deeper is what is on the minds of northern bass right now. A few warm sunny days could make a difference though, especially if the warm weather continues followed with some overcast skies. My boat is put away now, but I did hook into a large bass last weekend on a jig in about 8 foot of water. So I know they are still there if you want to give it a try. I would work the north shore myself. And if you have several "warmer" days accompanied by wind, hit those wind blown shorelines. That warmer surface water will be blown against those banks. That will draw baitfish which will draw those bass.
Old 11-19-12, 10:32 PM   #8
joedog

I believe I read something in this months BassMaster mag. that the plankton gets churned upwards due to the wind churning against structure and shoreline. The bait fish follow and....you all know what happens next.
But that angler was talking after a winter rain I believe.
Worked with stained water I think.
I've only read it once so I haven't put it to memory yet.

Keith thank you.
Old 11-19-12, 10:32 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

What's the water temp up north now? 40-45? Down here it's 53-54 and dropping gradually, been catching them pretty good but they seem to be bunched up instead of scattered like they were just a month ago. That tendancy to "tighten up" will increase as the water gets colder. Sometimes a degree or two might draw them shallow but it seems that (at least down here) they've already got deep on their mind.
If you have access to a clear water lake with a dark bottom in the shallows on the north end AND is close to a deep drop or channel....good. I hate fishing cold dirty water so bad that I'd just as soon sit out in the shop pouring rubber worms for next year than fight it.
Old 11-19-12, 10:38 PM   #10
joedog

Thanks Ken.

I can just barely tie my shoes on my own so no way am I taking up that hobbie.
Me and hot plastic....hope the hospital allows me to bring my lap top so We ALL can laugh about that tale together!
Old 11-21-12, 02:08 AM   #11
Rebbasser

1. yep

2. Not necessarily. Depends on the degree of stain. If muddy look for the clearest water, if gin clear look for a little stain.

3. North side of the lake for the reasons Keith stated. If you can find a pocket protected from any wind so much the better.
Old 11-21-12, 02:43 PM   #12
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

joe

from my experience, warm sunshine in the winter is very helpful as far as shallow bass. you are also right in your thinking that most of the time that later in the evening might be better. just like any rules, sometimes there are exceptions. i have seen winter bass many times bite just as it is getting light, and by the time the sun actually appears the bite is over for the day.

here on table rock i deal more with deep bass than shallow bass. right now most of the bass i am catching are 35 to 40 ft. deep, except at night. the night bass are from 20ft. to the bank. deep bass do not relate to warm or cold days. they relate more to what the shad are doing. cloudy days will scatter the shad, and sunny days will gather them up better. even on lakes with color such as grand lake, where bass do tend to stay somewhat shallow, never pass up trying a shaded bank. i have had many days that every bass we caught came from a bank with shade on it. that means we were fishing south banks, not north banks. but, sun and warmth is good for the most part.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-12, 03:21 PM   #13
joedog

Bo, Reb, Thanks for the input!

I'm currently shore fishing and very clear to a touch of stain. 3-4 foot visibility.

Mornings are just to cold here, 30's.

Two days left of fishing.....CRAP!!!!!!
Then highs will maybe hit 30 followed by a 3 month cold front..
Did I mention...CRAP!!!!!!
Old 11-21-12, 05:29 PM   #14
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

joe

since you are fishing from shore, i would try to concetrate on areas that have the steepest drop within casting distance. cold water bass tend more to elevate up and down rather than travel up and extended flat. i as with you, winter so cold you can not fish is a bummer. it would be nice to pack up and go south for the winter and fish, wouldn't it??

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-12, 09:12 PM   #15
pig n jig

The size of the body of water your fishing is most likely too large for the sun to warm up this time of year.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.