Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-06-13, 09:37 AM   #1
NewfoundLakerMal
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Rod & Reel rigs for Different baits.

Is there any source out there that lists the best rod and reel configuration for different types of Baits? I have both bait casting and spinning reels on 6' to 8' rods. However, I need to figure out rig what is best for drop shotting, lipless crank baits, jerkbaits, spinner baits, spoons, topwater, swim baits and Mepps type spinners. I would appreciate any link to a resource on the web. BTW, the lakes I fish on in NH have mostly smallmouth bass, lake trout, landlocked salmon and pickerel.

Last edited by NewfoundLakerMal; 03-06-13 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added fish types
NewfoundLakerMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 10:49 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a wide open question. Ask 5 guys what their favorite setup for spinnerbaits are and you're likely to get 5 different answers. The ratings written on most rods and reels will give you a good starting point. You could use the search function at the top of this page and type in "drop shot" for example and then read all the posts etc. The best and fastest way to figure it all out would be to find a local guide or tournament angler or experienced fisherman to share their knowledge with you. Invite yourself to their house and pick their brain about the equipment choices they make and why. Pick up and handle their stuff to see for yourself.
Warning: some of their choices might not work for you. For example I prefer a much softer rod for buzzbait work than most people but it just works well for me and I have success and confidence using it.
Old 03-06-13, 11:21 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There really is no best choice. Aside from a few basic guidelines, it's pretty much all personal preference. I wrote an article a couple years back about some basic guidelines that you might find helpful.

http://basschat.yuku.com/topic/5/Rod...e#.UTdek1fgwnM

BB
Old 03-06-13, 12:40 PM   #4
joedog

And I'm going to tell you my advice.
Read BigBassin144's post.

That is one of the BEST rod threads I've ever read.
I'll go so far as to say, "Every Pole salesman should have it on the wall right next to the rods."
I actually have read it numerous times and just did again.
And ya, I got a rod or two.

Like Ken said, rods are such a personal feel type of thing but should be somewhat easier for you cause you've used your poles.

Just curious, what poles you trying to match up.
Doesn't sound so much that your shopping for a pole but want to use what you have to their best potential.

May help to match if you tell what the options are.

Anthoney thanks.
Old 03-06-13, 01:18 PM   #5
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ken hit it on the head. I have guidelines I follow, but they aren't strict guide lines, and some wouldn't even call them guide lines, some would call them just basic common sense and knowledge. For example if I'm gonna tie a Bama rig on its a 7'6'' or 8' heavy or extra heavy with 65 lb braid, I wouldn't go out with a spinning real with 8 lb fluro and throw it.

Now back to what Ken was saying, look around, shop around, ask around. Find what you feel is comfortable and what you have confidence in. I'm a firm believer in a positive attitude and 100% confidence you will succeed. Just because someone has a $700 dollar combo they just got from a sponsor and have never used it before their confidence in that specific combo wouldn't be that great (at least in my mind. Hell in that situation it would prob be the 5-6th rod on my deck I use). Now if you have a combo you love and have the feel and confidence in that's way cheaper (for example my $300 dollar combo before I got the $700 one) use it. I would rather use something I feel comfortable with and have had success with. Yeah, I would use the other combo, but it would take time for me to develop 100% confidence in it. (unless I'm just slaying bass on it and have a 25lb bag in 30 minutes, which has never happened to me or anyone else I've known).

Another example is flipping and skipping docks. When I flip I like to use a 6'6'' vs 7' again just a personal preference, but I feel confident in it. Skippin docks is another story, some how I have perfected skippin with a spinning reel LOL. But hey it works and I'm confident.

So to sum up all my rambling nonsense. I would just talk to some people, read reviews on rods/reels, test it out, feel it in your hand if you palm a baitcaster put it on a pole and feel it, if it doesnt feel right and you wont have confidence in it dont buy it keep on looking. Now a days there is something out there for everyone.
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 06:59 PM   #6
IowaBasser

2 or 3 years ago... (I think?) ...Skeet Reese put his name on a series of rods made by Wright and McGill. You probably know the ones I'm talking about; they're bright yellow. I don't own one and am not endorsing them, but I did like the way they felt when I held them in the store. The rods have the technique they were designed for written right on the rod. It's interesting to see what rod length, action, line weight and lure weight Skeet reccomends for different techiniques:

Casting Rods
Skeet Micro Cast Rod 6'3" MH Finesse Worm/Fluke
Fast 10-20lb 1/4-3/4oz

Skeet Micro Cast Rod 6'4" MH Football Jig/Big Worm
Fast 10-25lb 1/4-1oz

Skeet Micro Cast Rod 7' Finesse Worm/Fluke
Fast 10-20lb 1/4-3/4oz

Skeet Micro Cast Rod 7'2" Jig/Worm
Fast 10-25lb 1/4-1oz

Skeet Micro Cast Rod 7'6" Pitchin' Stik
Fast 12-30lb 3/8-1 1/2oz

Skeet Micro Umbrella Rig Rod 7'5"
Fast 15-40lb 1-3 1/2oz

Tessera Cast Rod 6'4" Med Hvy Jig/Worm
Fast 10-25lb 1/4-1oz

Tessera Cast Rod 6'6" Mag Crankbait
Med-Fast 8-18lb 1/8-3/4oz

Tessera Cast Rod 6'8" Jerk Bait/Topwater
Med-Fast 8-17lb 1/8-1/2oz

Tessera Cast Rod 7' S-Glass Crankbait
Med-Fast 10-20lb 1/4-3/4oz

Tessera Cast Rod 7' Spinnerbait/Worm
Med-Fast 10-20lb 1/4-3/4oz

Tessera Cast Rod 7'2" Jig/Worm
Fast 10-25lb 1/4-1oz

Tessera Cast Rod 7'2" Senko/Toad
Fast 8-20lb 1/8-1/2oz

Tessera Cast Rod 7'6" Pitchin' Stik
Med-Fast 12-30lb 3/8-1 1/2oz

Tessera Cast Rod 7'6" Swimbait/C-Rig
Med-Fast 10-25lb 1/4-1oz

Tessera Cast Rod 7'10" Mag Cranking Rod
Med-Fast 10-20lb 1/2-1oz

Tessera Cast Rod 8' Flip/Pitch
Med-Fast 15-30lb 3/8-2oz

Spinning Rods
Skeet Micro Spin Rod 6'10" Finesse Tube Jig
Fast 6-8lb 1/8-3/4oz

Skeet Micro Spin Rod 7'2" Med Lt Shaky Head/Senko
Fast 6-15lb 1/8-3/8oz

Skeet Micro Spin Rod 7'2" Med Hvy Jig
Med-Fast 10-25lb 1/4-1oz

Tessera Spin Rod 6' 4" Medium Spinnerbait
Med-Fast 8-17lb 1/4-3/4oz

Tessera Spin Rod 6'11" Shakey Head/Senko
Med-Fast 6-15lb 1/8-3/8oz

Tessera Spin Rod 7'2" Drop/Split Shot
Med-Fast 6-12lb 1/16-1/2oz
Old 03-06-13, 08:39 PM   #7
MIbasser

Take a look here...

http://www.bbcboards.net/rods-reels/

You will see what others are using for rods, reels and even type of line. And as Ken said, you will get 5 people with 5 different answers.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 11:30 PM   #8
Bassboss

As a general guideline, the shorter more accurate of a cast you need to make, the short the rod you want. Shorter rods allow for more accuracy. A longer rod is good when you need to lavage or a longer cast.
Old 03-08-13, 11:01 AM   #9
Rebbasser

I try to keep it pretty simple. For a single hook bait-jig, T-rig, spinnerbait, etc. I us a medium heavy or heavy action rod. Treble hook baits get a medium action rod. Bottom line, though, is it really all comes down to one thing: Use what feels right to you, not somebody else. Do that and you will be happy with your decisions.
Old 03-08-13, 11:17 AM   #10
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
As a general guideline, the shorter more accurate of a cast you need to make, the short the rod you want. Shorter rods allow for more accuracy. A longer rod is good when you need to lavage or a longer cast.

lavage???

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 11:27 AM   #11
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
lavage???

oe
Only thing I can come up with is "leverage," which makes sense if he's talking about flipping/pitching into heavy cover, and you need to horse the fish up and out before it wraps the line around a branch. However, "when you need to leverage" doesn't make any sense.

And it gets REALLY scary if you figure he's talking about the medical definition of "lavage."
Lavage: the irrigation or washing out of an organ, as of the stomach or bowel.
Old 03-08-13, 01:33 PM   #12
bassboogieman

If you figure LEVERAGE and delete TO it makes perfect sense. Let's check with 'Bama to get the definitive answer...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 05:07 PM   #13
flfireman

see above. Most of my rods are 7' MH, my tips is where the differences begin to change. I also have 3 7'6" rods. 2 are heavy with fast tips for my pitchin/flippin/frog rods, the other is MH w/ extra fast tip- one of the best lipless crankbait rods I have. I enjoy my 7 footers, they are whats comfortable to me. My 2 flipping/frog rods were learned from trial and error, the other 7'6" was a mistake that I have fallen in love with. You seem to have a selection of rods, my say would be start trying them out with various baits and see which one feels right for you.
Old 03-08-13, 07:35 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
If you figure LEVERAGE and delete TO it makes perfect sense. Let's check with 'Bama to get the definitive answer...
yeah you need *The leverage. Not "to lavage"

lol sorry.
Old 03-08-13, 09:02 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
And I'm going to tell you my advice.
Read BigBassin144's post.

That is one of the BEST rod threads I've ever read.
I'll go so far as to say, "Every Pole salesman should have it on the wall right next to the rods."
I actually have read it numerous times and just did again.
And ya, I got a rod or two.

Like Ken said, rods are such a personal feel type of thing but should be somewhat easier for you cause you've used your poles.

Just curious, what poles you trying to match up.
Doesn't sound so much that your shopping for a pole but want to use what you have to their best potential.

May help to match if you tell what the options are.

Anthoney thanks.
Thanks Joe, glad you enjoyed the article.

BB
Old 03-09-13, 04:26 AM   #16
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

You actually have less leverage with a longer rod, it provides a leverage advantange to the fish. Think about your hand being the fulcrum.
Old 03-09-13, 07:31 AM   #17
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
You actually have less leverage with a longer rod, it provides a leverage advantange to the fish. Think about your hand being the fulcrum.
For some reason this observation conjures up all sorts of funny images and thoughts in my head.

I get a picture of hoardes of Okeechobie flippin experts headed into the gnarly grass mats armed with 5' sticks and a big grin thinking "I got the advantage now!"

I see one of our fearless engineer types reading that post and being filled with angst for not beating you to the punch

I see fat fisherman everywhere being launched out of the boat and into the air holding their 7' rod and staring amazed and dumbfounded down at the little 5lb bass while cursing the laws of physics, then sadly looking down at their massive hand in disgust and screaming as they fall "you bastid worthless fulcrum-you bastid worthless fulcrum!!"

Thanks T

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 03-09-13 at 07:37 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 09:49 AM   #18
bassinbob

Maybe by leverage he means being able to hoist a bass over a log or something like that. Ken, I am a big fat man and haven't been thrown overboard yet. Even when I'm using an 8ft. rod. I think my fulcrum is stronger then the average 8lb. bass. Although I am getting arthritis so maybe I better watch out.
Old 03-09-13, 12:44 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
For some reason this observation conjures up all sorts of funny images and thoughts in my head.

I get a picture of hoardes of Okeechobie flippin experts headed into the gnarly grass mats armed with 5' sticks and a big grin thinking "I got the advantage now!"

I see one of our fearless engineer types reading that post and being filled with angst for not beating you to the punch

I see fat fisherman everywhere being launched out of the boat and into the air holding their 7' rod and staring amazed and dumbfounded down at the little 5lb bass while cursing the laws of physics, then sadly looking down at their massive hand in disgust and screaming as they fall "you bastid worthless fulcrum-you bastid worthless fulcrum!!"

Thanks T
Ken, that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Archimedes of Syracuse. ... Give me a place to stand and I'll move the earth with an 8ft fishing rod. OK, I added the last bit of that.

Last edited by Tavery5; 03-09-13 at 12:49 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 01:18 PM   #20
OkobojiEagle

Actually a longer rod is able to increase your leverage, as in threatening to beat your boat partner with the end of that 8' flippin stick if he doesn't stop pitching over top of your line!

oe
Old 03-09-13, 02:20 PM   #21
IowaBasser

Funny stuff for sure - it put a smile on my face this rainy Saturday morning!
Old 03-09-13, 02:47 PM   #22
OkobojiEagle

Kirk... Have you found a place to stay when you come to Okoboji this spring?

oe

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.