Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-13, 08:47 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Shaky head fishing.

Plan on doing a good deal of shaky head fishing early this season.

Tips and advice?
Old 04-07-13, 08:51 PM   #2
keithdog

I'll be watching this. I'm planning on using the shaky head rig this year more myself.
Old 04-07-13, 09:29 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Click image for larger version

Name:	fin-tech.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	8675

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-Man Finesse.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	8676

I don't always throw a shakeyhead but when I do, this is one of my high confidence setups. The floating Z-Man is impossible to "screw" on most standard screw heads but these Fin_techs work good. For some reason I seem to do better with short little hops and slow swims and long pauses rather than actually shaking them like the book says. I also really like Big Bites Squirrel Tail (the tail wants to float)
Old 04-07-13, 10:35 PM   #4
MIbasser

It's one of my go to baits all year long. I use one color and one jig head.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 07:24 PM   #5
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I absolutely LOVE fishing with a shaky head. I alternate small hops with just a short, even drag with pauses in between. I have used a number of different baits and have had success with almost everything, including a super hog on a shaky head. Hope you have lots of luck. I will look forward to a report.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 08:44 PM   #6
keithdog

What would be the ideal rig for this. Best type/style rod and reel? Size and action? I am assuming a spinning outfit would fit the bill perfectly.
Old 04-08-13, 08:56 PM   #7
Dave63

4 inch french fry worms on a shaky head were all we could get bit on Sunday. 6'6" or 7' medium action casting rod is what I usually use.
Old 04-08-13, 11:01 PM   #8
MIbasser

Keith I use a 2500 size shimano reel and a crucial 6'8" M fast action rod. Yellow power pro in 20 lb and either an 8 or 10 lb leader. And will use that in gin clear water with 20'+ of visibility. I've won lots of club tournaments with this setup.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 02:39 AM   #9
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fish shakyheads a lot during the year. Some of my favorite baits are Netbait T-mac worms, Zoom Trick worms and Magnum Finesse worms, BPS 4" stick O's, and french fry worms. I fish them on my home made shakyheads on a St.Croix LTB 6' 10" M/F with a Shimano CI4 Stradic 2500 and 10lb Seaguar Red Label.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 02:21 PM   #10
b.a.s.17

I love fishin with the shaky head it's one of my favorite techniques! I mostly use zoom trick worms on a 1/4 or 3/8 oz omega shakey head. I also use bigger tackle than most I use a falcon aoy rod 6'8" mh with mf flex and an Abu Garcia stx 7.1 with 10# line. I fish it like a jig I'll hop it or drag it and when I find a brush pile I keep it in there a long time pulling it up to make contact with a branch then setting it back down after doing that a few times I'll pull it over the branch and move on to the next branch
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 06:17 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Keith I use a 2500 size shimano reel and a crucial 6'8" M fast action rod. Yellow power pro in 20 lb and either an 8 or 10 lb leader. And will use that in gin clear water with 20'+ of visibility. I've won lots of club tournaments with this setup.
I have a rig very similar to that which will work well I think. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-11-13, 08:05 PM   #12
Bassboss

Thanks for the info guys!

Keith, I use a 7' M St. Croix spinning rod. I've got a 2000 okuma spinning reel, which I'm looking forward to using this season, loaded with Nanofil and 6lb AbrazX depending on the spool. The rod does the job very nicely, can't speak for the reel since I haven't used it much yet though.
Old 04-11-13, 08:17 PM   #13
bluebasser86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks for the info guys!

Keith, I use a 7' M St. Croix spinning rod. I've got a 2000 okuma spinning reel, which I'm looking forward to using this season, loaded with Nanofil and 6lb AbrazX depending on the spool. The rod does the job very nicely, can't speak for the reel since I haven't used it much yet though.
Have you used the Nanofil for shakyheads before? I love it for swimming grubs and wacky rigs but hated it for shakyheads.
Old 04-11-13, 08:25 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
Have you used the Nanofil for shakyheads before? I love it for swimming grubs and wacky rigs but hated it for shakyheads.
Cannot say that I have. I do do allot of grub fishing and wacky rig fishing with that though. Big reason I got it is for smallie fishing in the streams around here. Stuff casts like a bullet so any extra distance I can get when casting light spinners or rapala's to them is a bonus. Hopefully I like it for shakyheads though! If Not I always have the fluorocarbon!
Old 04-12-13, 05:14 AM   #15
SaminVa

I use a 7'medium action Damiki Spinning rod with a Lews spinning reel.
Filled with braid and then a 10# flouro leader.
I use lots of diff. worms... yes the Z mans are a pain with the screw locks... but work great with the lock system pictured above.
I have found most success with the worms that actually float
Old 06-02-13, 08:57 AM   #16
wallywallace

Picked up a 7'2 crucial on a symtre(sp ?) will be first time I use a rod this long to shakey head. My old falcon hd and Okima trios were monster nice to. But for some reason all my stuff is becoming shimano. Oh my I i am turning into one of those guys lols
Old 06-07-13, 09:06 PM   #17
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
What would be the ideal rig for this. Best type/style rod and reel? Size and action? I am assuming a spinning outfit would fit the bill perfectly.
For an interesting change of pace during the summer doldrums or dead of winter try a big 1/2 oz + head and a Magnum Trick just bounced an inch or two at a time with long pauses. I've boated some decent fish that had ignored my deep cranks and football jigs etc just minutes before.
Old 06-09-13, 07:50 PM   #18
Fish30114

I like the spot remover head-the pro model-I find that the spring on the pro model works a lot better holding the bait on than the standard model with the 'screw'. I have had a lot of success with the various crawfish soft plastics, really good luck with the Yamamoto 'H' Grub, for Hula grub. It is a craw style that has a 'built in' skirt that is very tantalizing on the fall. I have had a lot of big boys hammer this bait on the fall on the first cast. I do a large majority of my shaky head fishing with this head, and like the heavier weights in it for farther casting.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 09:16 PM   #19
OkobojiEagle

What do you guys think... has the shakey-head technique taken playing time from the skirted jig in your fishing???

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 02:09 AM   #20
bluebasser86

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
What do you guys think... has the shakey-head technique taken playing time from the skirted jig in your fishing???

oe
Yes it has without a doubt. I love fishing a jig but some days the bites are just too few and far in between. Plus since I jacked my thumb up on my left hand (reel palming hand) it starts to hurt sometimes after fishing a jig for long periods of time.
Old 06-14-13, 08:58 PM   #21
Rebbasser

Keith, I use a Shimano Symetre 2500 with a Falcon MH action spinning rod. I like the MH for more backbone. My main line is 20 lb Powerpro with an 8 lb Fluoro leader. I fish them on a Spot Remover jighead-flat on the bottom so they stand up. Any "shakey head" worm will work-Zoom or a V&M Pork Pin are my favorites. Easy technique that really produces.

I wil also fish one on a MH baitcaster with 50 lb Powerpro, 12 lb fluoro leader-I actually use Vanish for this-and fish bigger staight tails on it in heavier cover.

You will enjoy shakey head fishing.
Old 10-17-13, 06:34 PM   #22
jchez444
BassFishin.Com Member

i have had great success with the following setup:
denali rosewood shakyhead rod with stadic ci4, 8lb fluoro seaguar red label
hooks a owner ultrashakyhead or gama skipgap
jchez444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.