Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-14-13, 01:23 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Realized I may have missed a fishing concept/idea/strategy

Ken brought up Trick Worm/ Stick Worm idea.
He brought up a good idea about using white.

Then things went a different direction ....which is fine... but I realized if I was asked to pick up Trick Worms, unless the shop had Zoom Trick Worms I wouldn't know what to get.

I always considered a Trick Worm a 'finesse' worm.
So Unless they had Zoom I would get a 6 or 7in. finesse worm.
And the only time I've used a trick worm was drop shoting.
And I realy don't know anyone who uses Trick Worms. At least no one I'd take advice from.
The original Zooms had bright funky colors, I thought to be able to see them when the fish took it into it's mouth.
I know now they have natural colors too.

Now I hear that a lot of anglers are using them like a Fluke.
So those who do fluke them, why?

Why not put a fluke style bait on?
Do you fish them fluking fast or pause more to let them slightly sink and then jerk, jerk, pause again?
Do you use them cause unless you use a 2/0 or larger hook they float?
Do you use them instead of stick worm over grass cause it won't bury in the vegatation and/or grass?
Does anyone use them with a weighted hook like a fluke set up?
Does anyone texas weighted rig them?
Does anyone drop shot them?

Do you anglers ever just let them sink and slowly crawl them like a stick worm?
Heck, how often do you 'fluke' a stick worm?
How do you decide wether to use a stick worm or conditions dictate the trick worm? Worming or fluking.

Anyway, I have more questions but thought I'd start with just a few.
Old 07-14-13, 05:44 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ken brought up Trick Worm/ Stick Worm idea.
He brought up a good idea about using white.

Then things went a different direction ....which is fine... but I realized if I was asked to pick up Trick Worms, unless the shop had Zoom Trick Worms I wouldn't know what to get. It 's probably a regional thing although I assumed every seasoned fisherman knew "trick" worms meant Zoom Trick Worms.......if all else fails read the bag.

I always considered a Trick Worm a 'finesse' worm. Certainly can be, Zoom does make a 4" finesse worm that has the identical profile.
So Unless they had Zoom I would get a 6 or 7in. finesse worm.
And the only time I've used a trick worm was drop shoting.
And I realy don't know anyone who uses Trick Worms. At least no one I'd take advice from. That's a shame...even if that were true I wouldn't tell anybody
The original Zooms had bright funky colors, I thought to be able to see them when the fish took it into it's mouth.
I know now they have natural colors too.

Now I hear that a lot of anglers are using them like a Fluke.
So those who do fluke them, why?

Why not put a fluke style bait on? Hold a fluke and a trick worm in your hand and note the difference......twitch a fluke and a trick sise by side in the water and note the difference.
Do you fish them fluking fast or pause more to let them slightly sink and then jerk, jerk, pause again? The bright ones you mentioned are usually fished pretty fast between pauses, the naturals are usually fished deeper and slower...deadsticking them can be deadly.
Do you use them cause unless you use a 2/0 or larger hook they float?Only the bright ones want to float and even then they will try to sink once they've broken the surface tension....but oh so slowly even with a light wire 2/0---that's part of the magic.
Do you use them instead of stick worm over grass cause it won't bury in the vegatation and/or grass? Yes and the bright ones are prefered for this because of the visibility and because they are more buoyant and because they are have a denser plastic than the naturals causing them to hold a skin hooked hook in place as you you throw them on shore and drag/twitch them through laydowns and weeds etc as a matter of fact that's the technique that made them a household name down here.
Does anyone use them with a weighted hook like a fluke set up? Not me but I could.
Does anyone texas weighted rig them? Not me but I could.
Does anyone drop shot them? Not me but I could

Do you anglers ever just let them sink and slowly crawl them like a stick worm? All the time!
Heck, how often do you 'fluke' a stick worm? See the above shallow water bright color reference.
How do you decide wether to use a stick worm or conditions dictate the trick worm? Worming or fluking. Trick worms have a very fluid almost snakey attitude and if hooked correctly have the same mesmerizing little shimmy on the fall as a senko on a weightless t.rig- a little different when rigged wacky but effective nonetheless. Some days the fish want one over the other, sometimes they want a trick in the morning and a senko in the afternoon, sometimes they want a senko on the west bank and sometimes they want a trick along the gaza strip, sometimes they just can't stand either. Until I acquire Dr Doolittle-like powers I just experiment.

** over the many many years since Trick worms gained popularity lots of companys have introduced their own version and I've used most of them and like a couple (Havoc-Big Bite).

** the original Creme Worm was pretty much the same worm just not quite as flexible and pre-dated the Trick by decades.

Anyway, I have more questions but thought I'd start with just a few.
.................................................. ..............................................
Old 07-14-13, 09:37 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lots of good questions, and lots of good answers. I especially like the soft spoken comments in small print. haha This discussion gives me lots to think about as I have never really used trick worms much, but did yesterday. I've never used a trick worm as a fluke, but will sure give it a try. The way the fishing was yesterday, what could it hurt? Using it as a stick bait wacky rigged though seems to look awfully good. I was using a weighted weedless wacky head in 3/32 oz. Seemed to work very well. No fish though.
Old 07-14-13, 12:26 PM   #4
joedog

Ken thank you.

You covered every question....and covered them well!
As mentioned, I have more and your great answers gave me even more.

I'll wait cause they may get covered by someone.

Ken, thanks again.
Last thing I probably need is a new strategy but I may need some trick worms.

Keith, I've never used a weighted wacky hook either.
With a weighted wacky hook couldn't you almost use a flick shake type of retreive?
I know they are meant for deeper water wacking but in shallow 5 feet or less...a finesse flick shake type of retreive?
Old 07-14-13, 01:34 PM   #5
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I will throw a question, best hook size for a trick worm, I always use 4/0 normal worm hook, saw a guy day before yesterday pulling his boat up with a orange trick worm with a wide gap hook, maybe 3/0, I am not that good eyeing a size though
Old 07-14-13, 06:23 PM   #6
Jrob78

I love fishing Trick Worms. To me, a "Trick Worm" is only a Zoom Trick Worm. All the others are straight tailed finesse worms, not to be confused with a Zoom Finesse worm. It somehow makes sense in my pea brain.

I fish Trick worms 3 ways. The first is t-rigged weightless, (usually on casting gear.) These baits are awesome this way. They sink slowly and the slightest twitch makes the worm dance. I never fish them fast like a Fluke. I will fish them from painstakingly slow, deadsticked on the bottom, to semi fast with small twitches as it sinks through the water column. I've never been one to fish soft plastics in wild, bright colors, I know they work, I just don't do it.

I will also fish Trick Worms wacky rigged with a weighted hook or a Flick Shake style jig head. Mustad makes a weighted EWG hook with a weedguard that is awesome for this technique. I hook the bait through the egg sack and fish it in "pulses" off the bottom. Pretty much a standard wacky rig retrieve.

The last way I fish Trick Worms is on a shaky head. Pretty self explanatory.

I do use other finesse style worms for these techniques but the Zoom Trick Worm is still my favorite.

These are the Mustad hooks I like for wacky rigging. They are great in shallow water.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Musta...age-MIWWH.html

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-14-13 at 06:29 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 07:26 PM   #7
joedog

Joe, thank you.
Old 07-14-13, 09:05 PM   #8
lilmule

Ive caught fishing on a senko fluking it,must have been a fluke,does work well in the pads.
When in rome do as
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 09:17 PM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post

Keith, I've never used a weighted wacky hook either.
With a weighted wacky hook couldn't you almost use a flick shake type of retreive?
I know they are meant for deeper water wacking but in shallow 5 feet or less...a finesse flick shake type of retreive?
Joe, I think what I have is a weedless flick shake hook. I'm calling it a weedless whacky hook, lol. But I know it works in shallow water weed beds in say 10 foot of water. We have a lot of milfoil in my lakes, when the officials that be don't kill it. Tossing it in the pockets seems to work. I havn't used it much at all so I am still playing with it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.