Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 01-25-11, 09:00 PM   #26
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
My only issue with the Pete Rose thing is that they did tell him that his ban would be lifted if he admitted and appologized for his actions. He kept up his end of the Bargain and the HOF committee is balking on their end. I dont think he should be in teh HOF, but if someone makes a deal like that, then they should stand by their word.
I think MLB did uphold their end. I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the lifetime ban was lifted and Rose is eligible to appeal for reinstatement. I believe he has done so twice thus far, and his appeal has been rejected both times. I don't think there was ever any agreement or deal in place that said if he admitted to gambling on baseball that he would automatically be eligible for the HOF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Pete Rose has always been one of my favorite athletes. He is one of the greatest baseball players to ever step on the field. In my opinion the HOF is a place to honor people like Pete Rose for their sports related accomplishments. There are many other awards for fantastic people. It would be funny to see someone denied the Nobel Peace Prize because they only batted .116 on their little league baseball team. Don't confuse the two, HOF is for great athletes not great people.
I agree with you Tav, except that Rose broke a baseball rule, not some non-baseball related rule or bad behavior off the field. I guess Hank Aaron's comments from 2004 pretty much capture my thoughts on the whole Rose fiasco. Here is Aaron's quote from a 2004 USA Today article -- "I just think it's hogwash to say that he should be put back into the game just because the public wants it. A rule is a rule, and the rule is on every clubhouse door that you can't bet on baseball. It doesn't say that you're excluded if you have 4,000 hits or 700 home runs."
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 09:42 PM   #27
Tavery5

I agree with the whole he broke the rule thing and there must be some type of action taken against him to help enforce the rule in the future. But I also think that the punishment must fit the crime. A lifetime ban, come on, look at all of the things that go on in professional sports today, many people have been punished and given second and third chances, don't you think Pete might deserve the same consideration.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 10:00 PM   #28
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sorry to disagree with all of you on keeping rose out of the HOF. look at who is in there now, look who holds the home run record.....and so on and so forth. CHEATERS!!! put rose in there folks. this is another reason i REALLY don't caer about pro sports anymore.
Old 01-25-11, 10:15 PM   #29
WatterBoy

Quote:
I agree with the whole he broke the rule thing and there must be some type of action taken against him to help enforce the rule in the future. But I also think that the punishment must fit the crime. A lifetime ban, come on, look at all of the things that go on in professional sports today, many people have been punished and given second and third chances, don't you think Pete might deserve the same consideration.
In this case, though, the punishment was already well-known beforehand for anyone who chose to commit this particular "crime."

"Under MLB rules, players, umpires and club officials or employees who bet on baseball games in which they have 'no duty to perform' are subject to one-year suspensions. Players, umpires and club or league officials and employees who bet of games in which they have 'a duty to perform' are subject to lifetime bans." -- taken from this article

Players have been punished with a lifetime ban from baseball since back in the 1800s, so this rule and the consequences for breaking it are not new.

I know the opinions will be all over the spectrum on what is right or not right for Rose and the HOF, and I respect that. I just happen to believe he is getting exactly what he deserves, even if I loved watching him play and think he's one of the best hitters and competitors to ever play the game.
Old 01-25-11, 10:34 PM   #30
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sorry to disagree with all of you on keeping rose out of the HOF. look at who is in there now, look who holds the home run record.....and so on and so forth. CHEATERS!!! put rose in there folks. this is another reason i REALLY don't caer about pro sports anymore.
Barry Bonds is not in the HOF and there is certainly no guarantee that he ever will be. Same goes for Big Mac, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc.

Do you really think pro sports have more cheating going on than college sports do? There are college teams getting penalized and put on probation all the time for breaking the rules -- USC, Alabama, Michigan, Texas Tech, etc., but maybe you see this as different than in pro sports?
Old 01-26-11, 06:53 PM   #31
bamabassman

TOUCHE DEAN! i feel ya there man. i see what you mean.
Old 01-26-11, 07:28 PM   #32
Bob Smith

Ok, I have to chunk in my two favorites, Roger Stauback and Troy Aikman
Old 01-27-11, 12:07 PM   #33
Abbeysdad

"Frankly Scarlet..."
Old 01-27-11, 12:30 PM   #34
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Barry Bonds is not in the HOF and there is certainly no guarantee that he ever will be. Same goes for Big Mac, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc.

Do you really think pro sports have more cheating going on than college sports do? There are college teams getting penalized and put on probation all the time for breaking the rules -- USC, Alabama, Michigan, Texas Tech, etc., but maybe you see this as different than in pro sports?

You know the difference between Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro, is that they all used an illegal drug to enhance their ability to produce on the field. They all lied about it to some degree and Sosa was even caught using an illegal bat. While they have not been elected into the HOF, they still have that opportunity. Their piers, sports writers and coaches will in the end make the decision about their worthiness to be inducted. Pete on the other hand, was not found guilty of anything that changed the way he performed. It is not a just system that lets any one person, be the judge, jury and executioner, and that it was we have with the commissioner of baseball. Why not reinstate Pete and let the people decide his fate.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:45 PM   #35
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
You know the difference between Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro, is that they all used an illegal drug to enhance their ability to produce on the field. They all lied about it to some degree and Sosa was even caught using an illegal bat. While they have not been elected into the HOF, they still have that opportunity. Their piers, sports writers and coaches will in the end make the decision about their worthiness to be inducted. Pete on the other hand, was not found guilty of anything that changed the way he performed. It is not a just system that lets any one person, be the judge, jury and executioner, and that it was we have with the commissioner of baseball. Why not reinstate Pete and let the people decide his fate.
I agree with you Tavery.

I can't honestly see how Barry Bonds could possibly be inducted into the Hall of Fame knowing what we know now. At the same time as a life long die hard Cardinals fan it hurts me to say it but McGwire, Sosa, and Palmeiro, probably shouldn't be inducted either. But what I can see happening is baseball keeping all of them out except Bonds. I can see where Bonds could be let in for no other reason than fear of Jackson and Sharpton screaming racism. I'm not trying to bring race into this discussion but I honestly can see this playing out to where Bonds is allowed to be inducted while the rest of them aren't and it happening for reasons that aren't baseball related. That would be the biggest travesty in baseball history possibly excluding the Pete Rose situation. If one goes in than they all should be eligible to be inducted, if one is considered to be ineligible then I have no problem with all of them being ineligible.
Old 01-27-11, 10:02 PM   #36
nofearengineer

Heck...I think Bonds should be kept out on financial reasons alone.

Do you know how much the bronze will cost to cast his over-sized, steroids inflated head?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.