Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-12-11, 11:20 PM   #1
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Beetle Spin For Smallmouth

This is my first post but I have been reading a lot. I have encountered something I don't understand and can't find an answer. I live on Blue River in southern Indiana. I catch rock bass and smallmouth usually. Lately I have been using a beetle spin in both silver and gold with different types of rubber on the hook. Grubs-Currly Tails-Tubes. But what baffles me is, when using this bait I have not caught one smallmouth. Lots and lots of Rock Bass but no smallmouth. I catch smallmouths on other lures. I even caught a nice largemouth at Patoka Lake. Has anyone else ran into this? Why do smallies not like beetle spins?
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 11:59 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't have much opportunity to fish for smallies, but I don't see why they wouldn't hit a beetle spin. Maybe try a largeer size. What size are you using? You might want to try a 1/4oz spinnerbait. I know they will hit those. By the way, welcome to the forums!
Old 08-13-11, 12:02 AM   #3
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've caught alot of stream and river smallies on Beetlespins....But I've also seen alot of largemouth and smallmouth bass get into moods where all they'll do is follow it....they won't hit it for nuthing.....Who knows why....The next time ya go they'll be back to killing a Beetlespin again.

Just keep in mind that smallies really, really like crawfish....So when fishing for smallies go with crawfish type baits over minnow type baits.....Just my opinion on the subject...lol
Old 08-13-11, 09:17 AM   #4
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

when you do catch smallies are they holding on the bottom? Can you get them to chase the spin? Try bumping the bottom with the spin and also make sure you are matching the profile and color of the dominant baitfish. The smallies may be on a serious crawfish bite, they get like this on the Green river where i live ,they will be crushing spinnerbaits and swimbaits then the switch goes off and if it isnt a greenpumpkin of watermelon craw style bait being dragged at the speed of snail you are hauling water.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 10:04 AM   #5
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Last week the smallmouth bass would hit a floating tube real good and some times a tube bounced on the bottom. However, the Rock bass never hit anything on the service. I think you are correct the smallies want crawfish bait.
It is amazing how selective they can be. If I find something they both want I might double my catch!!! I will keep experimenting.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.