Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-09, 10:36 PM   #1
bassangel
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lady needs help

Hi fellow fisherpeople, I am new to fishing and I have a 15 ft smokercraft with side console and I'd like to mount my transom trolling motor up on the side of the bow so I can bass fish from the front. A friend told me that Minn Kota makes a bracket so that I could attach the motor to the side of the hull, but I can't seem to find this bracket anywhere. Do you know where I could find one? Also my friend says there is a way to turn the head of my motor so that it will be turned in the right direction for doing this. Otherwise the handle is facing the wrong way.
I don't want to invest money to have a bow mount installed since I already have this transom mount. I have a 25 HP 4S attached for all the speed I need but I don't like to troll with it.
Thanks for all your help...
bassangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-09, 10:45 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome bait monkey fodder lady. i ain't the one to help ya out on this one. but you just wait, there will be others that can help you. just keep watching the post. we'lll get you fixed up in a jiffy.
Old 02-21-09, 06:28 AM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Its basically the same problem as offset transom mount but compounded.The motor sitting to one side makes you steer like a drunken sailor.Then moving it up front to the side adds dereases water depth and a lighter weighted section so the trolling motor lifts upward and thrashes the surface water.I built a mount with a drop section so the handle will still clear over the sides to turn 350 degrees if needed and it sits center on the bow. It is worlds better than side mounted but on high you still have to stand near the nose of the boat or the blade lift and thrashes on the surface . P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 08:17 AM   #4
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You may want www.tinboats.net It's a good site and a lot of the fellows are mounting trolling motors to their bows with home made brackets.....probably the aluminum clad block of treated wood with the aluminum feet flanges would work well.....a lot of them bend and weld aluminum structures for bracing as well as brackets. If you could join there, I'm sure you could post and get a lot of good advice. Hope this helps and Good Fishihng, Mac

Once there, just click on Forum....the registering is free.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 12:51 PM   #5
bassangel
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, I will check out that site Mac and see if I can do this thing.
Meri
bassangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 01:33 PM   #6
woody

I just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum and Make Yourself at Home here on the Boards.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 02:51 PM   #7
Jim80

Welcome aboard, bassangel you found a great site . you could try looking through past topics in the boats and trailers section .

Jim
Old 02-21-09, 06:20 PM   #8
zooker

wellcome to the site by the way meri...

jimbo
there is not a subject like that on there.. she is asking about a transome rig for the side of the boat.. they do make several brackets to rig a transome mount on the bow.. but not all that sure about side mounts-having never used them....

zooker
Old 02-22-09, 01:19 AM   #9
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I did this with my first home made bass boat. I created a 2x4 shaved down to 2x2 except for the end 4 inches. I mounted it on the front of my boat then attached the transom mouth minkota. I attached a 3 foot wood handle to the handle of the minkota by way of precision ball barings, so it would spin 360. I then created a peddal (actually a plastic ramp from a hotwheels set) with an on off button attached which went between the power and the motor. Basically I had a foot controled as far as on and off trolling motor that was guided by hand.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 07:17 AM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
I did this with my first home made bass boat. I created a 2x4 shaved down to 2x2 except for the end 4 inches. I mounted it on the front of my boat then attached the transom mouth minkota. I attached a 3 foot wood handle to the handle of the minkota by way of precision ball barings, so it would spin 360. I then created a peddal (actually a plastic ramp from a hotwheels set) with an on off button attached which went between the power and the motor. Basically I had a foot controled as far as on and off trolling motor that was guided by hand.
dam you are sayin that there more than ONE redneck in the land of fruits and nuts cass being the other....

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.