Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-08, 02:36 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Exclamation Have you voted yet?

I'm not asking who you voted for, I'm just encouraging all of you to go out and exercise your rights.

I didn't get to this morning, so I'm probably going to have to stand in line this evening after work. The wife voted this morning, however.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 02:55 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

No, I actually am not going to vote. I know some people say it is a civic duty, but I disagree respectfully. I think you do have a duty to vote your conscience. But I don't think I can give either major candidate my approval, so in order to choose I would have to violate my own judgment and conscience. I refuse to do that. If I choose between these 2, I lose.

I'm sittin in the wrong county and McCain will win this state by 30% anyways.
Old 11-04-08, 02:55 PM   #3
MIbasser

I'm stuck at work till 5, then an hour drive home which puts me in line around 6:30ish... oh how I love to stand in line!!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 03:01 PM   #4
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl View Post
no, i actually am not going to vote. I know some people say it is a civic duty, but i disagree respectfully. I think you do have a duty to vote your conscience. But i don't think i can give either major candidate my approval, so in order to choose i would have to violate my own judgment and conscience. I refuse to do that. If i choose between these 2, i lose.

I'm sittin in the wrong county and mccain will win this state by 30% anyways.
ditto.......
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 03:06 PM   #5
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yes I was there at 6:30 and still and still had to wait 25 minutes.
Old 11-04-08, 03:55 PM   #6
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I am not going to make this about which person you voted for and which is better, but i will say this, Its your choice to vote, however, its hard to comprehend people who choose not to vote and then complian...i am not saying this is anybody because i don't know you all that well, and i don't know if yall will complain, however, its just does not seem right for a person to complain if they do not choose one....so rather Obama or McCain, whom ever gets elected does something in the future in which you disagree with, then you have nothing to complain about, because if you voted against him, then you can say that you didn't even vote him to be in, and if you did vote for him, then you can complain that that is not what you voted for....again i am not trying to start anything, i am just stating my opinion....
jcw1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 03:55 PM   #7
jcw1503

by the way was there at 6:30 and in line for a hour!!!!
Old 11-04-08, 04:28 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
I am not going to make this about which person you voted for and which is better, but i will say this, Its your choice to vote, however, its hard to comprehend people who choose not to vote and then complian...i am not saying this is anybody because i don't know you all that well, and i don't know if yall will complain, however, its just does not seem right for a person to complain if they do not choose one....so rather Obama or McCain, whom ever gets elected does something in the future in which you disagree with, then you have nothing to complain about, because if you voted against him, then you can say that you didn't even vote him to be in, and if you did vote for him, then you can complain that that is not what you voted for....again i am not trying to start anything, i am just stating my opinion....
I have heard this argument many times over the years, but can not agree with it. I have found that over the years I have almost as much to complain about an individual who received my vote as one who did not. The right to voice our opinions, to include our complaints, is one of the things that help make our country what it is.
In my case, I did vote for a presidential candidate as well as other items on my ballot. That being said, I very much respect the ones who did not vote because they simply did not like any of the choices. I would actually prefer that situation than to think that their vote came down to a coin flip or the fact that they were voting against someone rather than for someone they want to be president.
Old 11-04-08, 04:33 PM   #9
jcw1503

actually if you look i said complain both ways, and i have heard your argument too alot, and a great thing about this country is that you have an opion on who runs your countries, alot of other countries do not, and when you waive the right to vote then you have no argument, because you can not argue with or against a presidents decision if you never make a discision in the first place....
Old 11-04-08, 04:35 PM   #10
WTL

I also think it is dangerous to say that everyone should vote. We all know there are some people who have no business voting, they choose candidates cause they like their hair or cause they are young, old, pretty, from their state or any number of shallow reasons. We need to promote intelligent democracy, not shallow democracy.
Old 11-04-08, 04:38 PM   #11
WTL

Quote:
when you waive the right to vote then you have no argument, because you can not argue with or against a presidents decision if you never make a discision in the first place....
Really, I have heard that said and I'm not sure what makes that true.

To quote Rush,

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose a path thats clear
I will choose free will"

I like the line "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Just consider it.
Old 11-04-08, 04:43 PM   #12
doc

Quote:
actually if you look i said complain both ways, and i have heard your argument too alot, and a great thing about this country is that you have an opion on who runs your countries, alot of other countries do not, and when you waive the right to vote then you have no argument, because you can not argue with or against a presidents decision if you never make a discision in the first place....

Unless you decide to not support either canditate.

I'm a registered voter, who does not like either of the only 2 viable choices. So I made the decision to not vote. That in my opinion is the greatest thing about being a registered independent, your not pigeonholed in to 1 party that you have to vote for.

Do I have a right to complain? just as much as you do, I took part in the primaries but the candidate I supported did not win. So instead of just jumping on someones band wagon without truely supporting either candidate I'll sit this one out.
Old 11-04-08, 04:46 PM   #13
jcw1503

yes, you have made a choice, a choice to waive your right to complain.....seiously, come on and i quote

"Allison Hantschel"

"The system" may be unfair and it may be fixed for rich people and it may be overrun with corruption. Guess what? By walking away and shrugging, you're not taking some rebellious position (sophomore, please), you're just ceding control of that system to the people who, in your view, have screwed it up. Nice job, slick. Enjoy your ironic detachment and your Amstel Light.

A lot of stuff in politics is hard. Volunteering, canvassing, phonebanking, running for office, covering those running for office, dealing with those running for office, all these things are time-consuming and tough. But the baseline for participating in American democracy is painfully minimal: every four years, show up, poke a stick through a piece of paper (puch a button). Give that much of a darn. Or shut up.

I like the line "Give that much of a darn. Or shut up."
Old 11-04-08, 04:51 PM   #14
jcw1503

why do people say that about having to vote for that one specific party, i do vote one party, and i am a registered republican, but i can still vote either way on my ballot.
Old 11-04-08, 05:02 PM   #15
doc

Quote:
why do people say that about having to vote for that one specific party, i do vote one party, and i am a registered republican, but i can still vote either way on my ballot.

So did you cross party lines and vote democrat?
How many times in the past have you gone aginst your political party? There is a reason there are different parties so people can choose sides. As a general rule a republican votes republican, and democrat votes democrat.
Old 11-04-08, 05:04 PM   #16
1/4 stick

Why those who don't vote can complain....

"When one of those guys gets in office and screws things up, those who voted put them there. It's their fault. They have no reason to complain. Those who don't vote, on the other hand, who voted for none of them and had nothing to do with it; have every right to complain about the numb-skulls those who voted put in office."

George Carlin once stated something along those lines. I tend to agree.

Seriously though, it's human nature to complain. Vote or not, people complain, and it's their right.

I also agree with WTL. I won't choose between two people that I don't think are qualified.
Old 11-04-08, 05:06 PM   #17
WTL

Haha, like the Searchers quote.

We have a Constitutional right to complain no matter what. That actually should be enough.
Old 11-04-08, 05:08 PM   #18
doc

Quote:
yes, you have made a choice, a choice to waive your right to complain.....seiously, come on and i quote

"Allison Hantschel"

"The system" may be unfair and it may be fixed for rich people and it may be overrun with corruption. Guess what? By walking away and shrugging, you're not taking some rebellious position (sophomore, please), you're just ceding control of that system to the people who, in your view, have screwed it up. Nice job, slick. Enjoy your ironic detachment and your Amstel Light.

A lot of stuff in politics is hard. Volunteering, canvassing, phonebanking, running for office, covering those running for office, dealing with those running for office, all these things are time-consuming and tough. But the baseline for participating in American democracy is painfully minimal: every four years, show up, poke a stick through a piece of paper (puch a button). Give that much of a darn. Or shut up.

I like the line "Give that much of a darn. Or shut up."
So, even if you dont support either candidate you should settle for one and go vote for someone you dont support.

Dude you are seriously a politcal nut!
Old 11-04-08, 05:15 PM   #19
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Haha, like the Searchers quote.

We have a Constitutional right to complain no matter what. That actually should be enough.
hehehe, I was watching fox news the other day and they were talking about the election. Flipped the channel to amc just as that scene came up. If that aint a omen, I don't know what is.
Old 11-04-08, 05:19 PM   #20
jcw1503

if you don't vote, thats means you don't care, and if you don't care how can you complain about something, come on guys, how can acutally sit there and say that you choose not to vote for the ruler of your country, and also, the admendments of the country you are living in......

And I quote...

voting is our sacred responsibility! We are fortunate enough to live in a country where people don't have to dodge bullies or risk their lives to vote (not yet, anyway) and a sizable group of selfish people don't even bother to vote! they use excuses...

I'm so sick of this election! I'm not voting!" or "Both of the candidates are the same, why bother to vote?", or, my personal favourite, "Why can't the candidates talk on the issues? I don't know what they stand for!"

And WTL, you said "We need to promote intelligent democracy, not shallow democracy. "

However,

When you say you're not voting, you're saying you are a stupid, selfish example of America. You don't deserve the benefits that have been fought and died for. And you certainly don't have the right to complain. So vote, or shut up!!
Old 11-04-08, 05:22 PM   #21
jcw1503

and as i said previously, i voted all republican, but i am not forced to, i have the right to choose a republican president and vote all democrats to the house and then split the house,

And I quote Doc, "That in my opinion is the greatest thing about being a registered independent, your not pigeonholed in to 1 party that you have to vote for."

No one is forced to vote all one party, they can vote how they please!!!!
Old 11-04-08, 05:25 PM   #22
1/4 stick

The prez doesn't rule this country. The banks and the oil companies do.
Old 11-04-08, 05:28 PM   #23
WTL

Quote:
if you don't vote, thats means you don't care

Thats wrong. Just not true.

I'm an example. I did not vote. Now can you really put the words "I don't care" in my mouth? Would anybody who has ever read my political posts on here conclude that I dont care?

I think I have proven that I care a good bit more than most.
Old 11-04-08, 05:33 PM   #24
jcw1503

I am not trying to be mean here, I am asking a question to try to comprehend this, i am trying to meet you here, question, you don't care who whens this election?
Old 11-04-08, 05:36 PM   #25
cassidyta

This will be my last post on this topic because it is reaching a heated point that i would rather not be a part of.
I do not believe that anyone used any of the excuses listed above for a reason not to vote. I believe that the statement I heard the most was. "I did not like either candidate" You make voting for a president sound like King Solomon and the baby. (1Kings 3) That we are forced to choose to make a choice we do not like because it is the right thing to do.
As far as the benefits fought and died for. This is a topic that you need to tread lightly on. Guess what, those same men and women fought and died for the right to be an American. The right to vote or not to vote. The right to complain and stay silent. At the end of the day, those individuals fought died for the flag and every American's right to burn it. If you disagree, then I respect your opinion on that, but do not say that we the veteran's fought for you as long as you complete this checklist. Doing so cheapens the value of anything we as a country have ever fought for.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.