Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-07-11, 02:04 PM   #1
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default chatterbaits

question when, where and how do you use them . i have been given several different ones but not really sure how to use them
Old 08-07-11, 02:17 PM   #2
bassboogieman

Donald, they work best for me in spring and fall and anywhere you would throw a crankbait or spinnerbait. I like them over emergent grass in spring, around stickups, or the edges of established weed lines. I like a fluke as a trailer, but you can try several plastics, similiar to what you'd use with a spinnerbait, like a single or twin tail grub, even the split-tail trailers that come with the "original" is good. Work them as you would a spinnerbait or crank, stop & go, irregular retreive, or let it drop to bottom and rip it back up. Very versitile bait.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-11, 02:42 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They work well when it's early spring when the grass is just starting to grow. I'll start out with lipless crankbait, and when they stop hitting that, I'll switch to the chatterbait with a lift-drop presentation. When they fall into the grass rip it out... same thing like a lipless. The reason I go to the chatterbait, rather then move, is because they'll still there they just got used to the lipless. Split tail grubs, and flukes are good trailers.
Old 08-07-11, 10:15 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

A lot of guys use them around grass, but we don't have grass around here. I have caught a lot of fish on them around boat docks when the sun gets high.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 09:49 AM   #5
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Chatterbaits are a good night time bait. You can just cast and retrieve and vary your retrieve, fish them like a jig, or let them settle to the bottom and rip them off the bottom and let them fall again. I did not know they would work in extremely hot weather like we are having but a friend won a tournament using them last week. At least that is the bait he said he used the most.
It is my understanding that the 3/4 oz works the best at night.

Last edited by mike234; 08-08-11 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Add last sentence
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 12:19 PM   #6
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

I like them in the summer in river systems. Another technique is to take the skirt off the bait and thread ur favorite swimbait on there. I have found this to be very productive. Good luck!!!
Old 08-09-11, 03:13 AM   #7
Ground Pounder

+1 on what Bassman96 said. I've also had some success putting a frog trailer on there and pulling them fast through lilly pad beds at dawn and dusk.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 08:57 AM   #8
mrmuskie5

Its real hard to fish them wrong. A steady cadance with small wrist twitches (like a swim jig) Is very productive around all the cover everybody has mentioned. I love to use them with the skirt removed and replaced with a fluke or a small boottail swimbait for smallies.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:41 AM   #9
oglejust

ive caught a lot of fish on mine, basically it can be as easy as casting and steady retreive but a lot of times ill use an irregular retrieve. and the cool thing about them is that if u get in some moss and u feel it stop "shaking" u can rip it and ur back in buisiness
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:38 AM   #10
keithdog

I primarily use chatterbaits early spring after ice out. I make long casts, let it sink to the bottom and then use a slow gentle retrieve. When the water is that cold, I can use this for a slow presentation that still has enough lure action to draw interrest and lots of strikes. After the water warms above 50 degrees I'm usually switching to a spinnerbait.
Old 08-11-11, 09:43 AM   #11
3dkicker

In and around grass is great location to use them. I catch bass all year long in grass but the bite can slow a little in the summer. I also catch fish off of laydowns and pads too.
I use a 5:1 speed baitcaster and use a varied retreive speeding up and slowing down the bait. I also twitch the bait along with random snaps of the rod tip especially over grass. Another thing I do is to kill it when I come to a hole or off an grass edge.
I do add a paddle tail trailer to my bait which slows the bait down even more. Bass Assassin makes a good one. I like the Yum Money Minnow, the small fat one, but haven't tested one out yet....$$$ expensive. More expensive than the custom baits I bad hand poured which are my go to trailers.
Old 08-12-11, 06:24 AM   #12
SaminVa

I've been fishing them year round... I fish them where I would fish a rattle trap... its a quieter presentation... I have been putting a fluke on the main hook at times... the darker skirt & head color ones work well at night.. I fish them with confidence in slightly dingy to stained water. I have found that if they dont like it on a steady retrieve I really have to slow it down to where the blades just start vibrating... reel reel reel pause.. they have CRUSHED it on the pause.
Old 08-12-11, 09:51 AM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Never tried them..

Capt Mike
Old 08-12-11, 10:06 AM   #14
bassboogieman

You should Mike, I've had very good success on the Potomac with them. Especailly along the edge of weed beds and those pads back in Mattawoman. Ike busted a few nice keepers on one during the FLW several weeks ago.
Old 08-14-11, 02:49 PM   #15
3dkicker

Caught a few bass yesterday in scattered grass off grass edge. Creek channel is to the left. Missed a nice one that would have pushed me into the top 3 for the day. Couldn't get them to eat topwater or wake bait but they ate the chatterbait.

Couple nice fish caught on customized bait

Old 08-19-11, 09:00 PM   #16
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

sorry to invade, but what setup do you use, i got a small i believe 1/8 oz and been using a 7ft M spinning rod, or should i use a baitcaster, again not to hijack
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 09:06 PM   #17
3dkicker

I use a 1/4oz with custom skirt (shad) and trailer (shad) and I fish it on an 6'6" All-Star medium fast baitcaster (spinnerbait rod) with a old 201 Curado 5:1 and 15lb Izorline.
Old 08-20-11, 07:26 AM   #18
bassboogieman

Same setup for me as for a spinnerbait, and I throw both 1/4 & 3/8 oz (and I make my own) on a 6'9" MH/f baitcaster, but a spinning rod will do ok also. I use a fluke for a trailer most times. White works very well for largemouth, chartruse/white for smallies, if you have pike in your waters - they'll smash any color, snakeheads (aka "Potomac pike") also.
Old 08-23-11, 01:34 PM   #19
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
if you have pike in your waters - they'll smash any color, snakeheads (aka "Potomac pike") also.
Yes the snakeheads do like chatterbaits. Got pics to prove it too.

Realized that I only use 3/8 oz and not 1/4 oz..... One day I'll test out other sizes and colors.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.