Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-05-10, 06:33 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Had a good idea.....I think.

I was thinking of some way to keep shad alive in my livewell. They are pretty dumb little critters, and will just crowd into a corner until they suffocate, no matter how good the circulation is in the livewell (mine is really good...I can keep big largemouth alive in it all day long).

The problem is, the shad need a round or oval tank, so they keep going in a circle, as opposed to sticking their noses in a corner.

I was thinking of some sort of flexible plastic sheet, that I could roll up tight enough to put down through the livewell door, but that would then spring out to form a circular divider within the rectangular livewell. The divider would of course have many small holes in it for good water flow through it.

This thing would basically be a temporary divider. Taking it out would help in cleaning out shad scales and what not.

Anyone familiar with anything I could get my hands on easily and fairly inexpensively?
Old 09-05-10, 07:44 PM   #2
rayandrewss
BassFishin.Com Member

I would think just a thin sheet of plexiglass should do it
rayandrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 08:55 PM   #3
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

there would still be a corner between the floor and the plexiglass...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 09:24 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
there would still be a corner between the floor and the plexiglass...
Hilarious, Embry.

However, I haven't heard that they need a spherical live well...just a round one. They tend to swim in horizontal circles, not vertical ones.

And plexiglas is too stiff...it needs to be something more flexible.
Old 09-05-10, 09:26 PM   #5
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Talking

my wife has a plastic rolling broad for making pie doughs and such you can fine them in the house wares dept at wally world .k mart, targeti
Old 09-05-10, 09:29 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Nobass, that is what I was thinking, but I think this thing needs to be about 5 feet long...pi (no pun intended) times diameter for the circumference. And about 18 inches deep.
Old 09-06-10, 07:32 AM   #7
nobass

do you know anyone who dose vinlyl siding work they have rolled metal that is pretty thin and can be rolled up that would also work. ask them to cut you as piece off it comes in 100 foot rolls for about 78 dollars a roll
Old 09-06-10, 07:45 AM   #8
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm thinking bath tub mat....cut into pieces just big enough to round the corners the way you want....the little suction cups would hold it to the corners and the curve you want. Easy in and out as well with plenty of spaces between the cups to cut the circulation holes.
I'm also thinking of kitchen sink pads, already have the holes but no way to keep them in place.....unless you can find those suction cups with the wire hooks, but they would probably rust. Would have to improvise with the cups and nylon wire ties???
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:34 PM   #9
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bryce I/we just use a minnow bait can. It sits on top of the edge of the livewell(s), or we can put it down into the livewell, but it's easyer on top. Works for me/us.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 07:51 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Bath tub mat sounds pretty interesting. And of about the right dimensions and (probably) stiffness.

Harold, I'm after shad for striper fishing. Forty or fifty 6" shad won't live long in a minnow bucket. They really need to be in a 40-gallon livewell.
Old 09-07-10, 03:03 PM   #11
bamabassman

bryce,bryce,bryce..............................alw ays thinking huh? hahahahahaha!!!

actually i like this thread for real. interesting ideas. maybe you could find a clear plastic container from wally world or some place. cut off the bottom and top, drill holes in it to let the water flow? i bet the dollar store or someplace has these.
Old 09-07-10, 10:33 PM   #12
Abbeysdad

I'm thinking sheet vinyl (e.g. flooring) would work ... with some holes drilled of course

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.