Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-26-06, 04:00 PM   #1
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I keep blowing fuses when I connect my trailer.

Everytime I hook my boat trailer into the connector it will blow the brake light fuse when I put on the brake, and the turn signal fuse when I use it. I just had my F-150 rewired for a trailer connection, so I don't think the truck end is the problem, I also don't see any frays in the wire on the trailer, what do I need to look for?
Old 03-26-06, 06:22 PM   #2
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Check for corrosion in your trailer lights. Take the cover off and look at the actual lights. Some trailer lights, especially older ones, leak when you back your trailer in the water and over time that will corrode and cause a short. There are many places to start, but if you know for sure your F-150 is re-wired "correctly" I would start there. If your not for sure get a mulit-meter and check your connection coming from your truck.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 07:23 PM   #3
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a auto light tester on the actual prong on my truck, and it lights up when the brakes/signals/lights are engaged. What is a converter for trailer lights? I read about them on another forum and I'm not sure what they are.
Old 03-26-06, 10:15 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've completely rewired my trailer. If your lights aren't LED's I would reccommend you buy the packaged set, and just rewire them. Not to horribly exspensive, and you will get new wiring harmness with them. It's actually pretty simple and quick. Just get the waterproof connectors. I haven't had 1 problem since I did this about 2 years ago. Before that I was fixing them weekly it seemed. Just a suggestion. I guarantee you'll save money and lot's of time in the long run.

There are lots of issues, but Hef touched on a very good one(I've had the light bulbs full of water). Another is check where all the clamps are holding the wiring, it can wear through there. Just gotta start from the top, and check all the lines all the way through. Grounding is very important also.

Lizards
Old 03-28-06, 08:52 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First make DOUBLE sure your truck was wired correctly. I assume you have no problem till you hook up the boat but that still doesnt mean its the boat. I've seen it before in fact last week had to fix a so called professional wiring job done by a dealership. Anyway get a friend to sit in the truck and with a test light make sure that your light lights up when the brakes are applied and then try the turn signals then try the lights. If all checks out with out blowing no fuses hook up the boat and pull all the bulbs on one side and try the brakes and turn signals. No blown fuse try the other side. That will show ya where the culprit is. If it blows bon both sides start at the tongue of the trailer rip out the wiring to the rear. Go to wally world spend 49,00 and rewire and WHOLLA problem solved. On the marker side lights and the clearance lights on the rear center of the trailer make sure they are clean connections. When rewiring make absolutley sure that that littlwe white wire you always see dangling on everyones boat is wired to the frame of the trailer and making good contact.
Old 03-31-06, 08:12 PM   #6
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

we kept on blowing the bulbs on our trailer but we found out they went water proof bulbs

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.