Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-22-06, 12:44 AM   #1
bassin4ever
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassin4ever
Default Aluminum or Fiberglass

what are the pros and cons of these two kinds of boats, any help is appriciated
bassin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 06:32 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Very wide question there bassin4ever but let me try and narrow down. First off you need to figure out where the majority of your bass fishing will be and as well the size of your piggy bank so as to better pick a boat with the available options that you want. There are several differences comfort, speed, resale value available options. The newer boats like the xpress, wareagle, G3 have very similar pad style bottoms that are capable of approaching the same speed of glass boats but at the sacrifice of comfortablility. They run close to the same speed in calmer water but forget the rougher water. They just cant do it, aluminum has a surface that is almost impossible to keep straight. Yes there is more work to keep the glass boat in good shape but the resale will be higher in the long run. The glass boat as a rule handles loads better and a BIG plus when fishing in the wind will track better instead of spinning like a top. There are more options available in glass boats. The only real big plus that I personally see is that a can boat will take bumps and bruises better than glass BUT try and straighten out a can boat that has hit a stump or rock at higher speeds. You can just about forget it.
Old 01-27-06, 12:31 AM   #3
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm a young guy and If I was in the market to get a boat I would get aluminum! A lot cheaper, really good lookin, weigh less, less fule consumption, and they can still move pretty good. I love X press boats!
Old 01-27-06, 03:37 AM   #4
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Glass boats fish much quieter. Glass boats ride better in heavy water,Glass baots dont get blown around on a windy lake like a metal boat does. glass boats are not as hot or cold as metal boats. The list goes on. fish2win
Old 01-27-06, 05:34 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

One thing I did fail to mention and fishin fool reminded me. I VERY STRONGLY suggest that if you are buying your first bass boat and have never piloted some of the faster hulls please for your own saftey DO NOT buy the biggest baddest boat you can afford for your firrst boat, or at least get into a boat with someone that has run the faster hulls and take lessons. More than once I have run into (I am noot saying all younf people do this) the macho young bass angler who gets on the water and runs the crap outta his rig cause HE'S THE MAN. The next time you see him his boat is trashed or even worse he is hurt or the worst scene dead. Boats AINT cars they dont have brakes. There are handling charecteristics that only time in the seat will teach you. Just this past Tuesday a younger angler who I have known for years (he is 28 now) he bought a allison hull with a 200 Merc on it. The wind n this particular day had no real direction. He was running on a lake that is known for beig rough with 4mph winds and we had gusts to 30mph. Well to make a long story short. He thought since he was running a $38,000 boat HIS boat could do it. Well he stuffed a wave running over 60 and is now gonna be off work for probably 2 months or better. The moral is LEARN THE BOAT FIRST and dont take NO chances till you get some seat time because they CAN and WILL hurt or KILL you or someone elde.
Old 01-27-06, 07:14 PM   #6
bassin4ever
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassin4ever

thanks for the advice guys, im only 17 so IM not in the market for a boat but our family is looking into a fish/ski boat
bassin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 09:45 PM   #7
1FASTLASER

Do you have any idea what models and/or boat companies they are lookin at. I would definately check out the staratos lineup of fish and ski boats.
Old 02-12-06, 02:29 PM   #8
Fish2win

Laser , Your comment about learning to drive a boat before you get a high speed boat is so true. The Allison is not a boat for a beginner,In fact it is more racing than fishing. Otherwise the decks would not be so small. I have seen the same thing you are talking about, Thanks for pointing that out to everyone. Fish2win
Old 02-12-06, 09:47 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win
The Allison is not a boat for a beginner,In fact it is more racing than fishing. Otherwise the decks would not be so small.
Rode on my first Allison Saturday with a 20 year old driver. He did fine driving. But that was the worst boat I've been on as far as fishing from in the tournaments I've fished. But boy did that thing fly, thought we were gonna be airborne a couple of times, like a bird flying they are REAL FAST.

Lizards
Old 02-12-06, 10:28 PM   #10
Fish2win

Extremely well designed pad and very light boat. If you were in a 21 it pronbably only weighed about 1000 lbs.They use a steel beam in the transom for strength. The rear deck can be a bit testy , It rolls off towards the water . It would be very easy to walk off the back. The concept of two guys fishing off the front deck is impossible. They are very fast even with a small displacement motor like a 150 or 200.
Darrus Allison is one of the smartest guys you would ever meet when it comes to high speed hulls. The strange thing is that every year when they have the bass boat drag races at Loudon Res, in Knoxville the Allisons get beat by the Bullets and sometimes by the Norris Crafts. Theoretically that should not happen. Of coarse they will all build you a boat as light as you want and the ones that get sent to the race may not be exactly what is normally built.
If you really look at the hull on any of these high speed bass boats they are simply a wing that is designed to lift and cut the wind. The higher they lift on the pad and the more they cut the wind the faster they go.The traction that holds the boat down is all in the prop. The Allison is designed to run transom up nose down.Low water resistance and low wind resistance.By the way Lizards, How did the tourney go? Fish2win

Last edited by Fish2win; 02-13-06 at 08:07 AM.
Fish2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 06:31 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win
By the way Lizards, How did the tourney go? Fish2win

That about sums it up. 0 fish for me, and only a barely legal 12" bass for the boater.

Lizards
Old 02-13-06, 08:05 AM   #12
Fish2win

Early season pre spawn can be that way. Some dayswe win, most days they win. Good fishin . Fish2win
Old 02-13-06, 09:59 AM   #13
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

The boat I'm using now is a 1999 Bass Tracker 165. I bought it when I was 16 for $7000 with money from a couple of summer jobs. It's still my first boat and it doesn't have a lot of horsepower (25), but it gets me from A to B. This has been the perfect beginner boat since it's very easy to operate and maintain, and it also doesn't cost much to operate/maintain (7-8 miles to the gallon, which is easier on the wallet). It gets blown around in the wind since it's so light, but it does have an up-side. I can take this boat that most anglers with fiberglass or bigger/heavier engined aluminum boats cannot take theirs. I have hit just about every type of underwater and above water obstruction and this boat cannot be sunk (the hull is riddled with dents big and small). I like it when guys with $40,000 boats look at mine and laugh because many times I get the last laugh and take what would've been a payment or two for their expensive craft. So, if you want a boat that is safe, cost effective, and can take you anywhere, then think about a low drafting aluminum boat. And remember, it's not the boat that catches fish, it's the fisherman and his/her preparation. Good luck!
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-06, 09:36 PM   #14
bass kicker

thats the truth every boat we have owned has been is aluminium and the biggest one was a 16 6 foot boat with a 25 and we never had any problems catching fish
Old 02-17-06, 05:48 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Now that every or alot of folks have told us bout there botes think of this. Remember when all you had was a 10 or `1 ftr with a paddle and you had toput the boat in close to where u was fishin so you wou;dnt be paddling all day long to get to the spot to catch fish. And remeber how many fish you use to catch cause you had to fish slow and you had to fish the area you picked and you had to fish it throuroughly. Just something for ya to think about.
Old 02-17-06, 11:56 AM   #16
Fish2win

So true lazer. The first boat I had was a 14 ft John with a 12 horse Elgin. I could not cover a great deal of water so most of my fishing was done with-in 2 or 3 miles of the house.I caught a lot of bass out of that little boat . No trolling motor depth finder just a 12 hp tiller a paddle and an anchor. I still have the boat. It is 45 years old . I just ordrered a 9 horse Rude for it. It is for my son to learn to fish out of. He has grown up fishing with me in a bass rocket. Now it is time for him to start really learning on his own. He is 15. We all run past a lot of fish getting to our honey hole.The small slow boat will make you work harder and think more in order to figure out the bite where you are.Fish2win
Old 02-18-06, 06:01 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

Fish2Win

I commend you with your thinking on the boat and your son. Hopefully he has the right mental attitude to handle "going back in time" so to speak and really getting down to the roots of things so he canlearn the best possible way to catch them thar basses.
Now that the ice is broken I can say that I firmly beleive that ALOT of people as you stated fly right past bass in the hopes of getting to that secret hole that is 22.3 miles away and need 150+ horses to beat the next guy to the hole. A classic example is a lake in Pa that I just love to fish Lake Wallenpaupack. Everyone in the club of course had 18ft + boats powered accordinly and the lake was 13 miles long. On the north end of the lake is where the river came in. But to make a long story short I won several tourneys sitting there at the ramp and never firing up the black mota and as soon as the rest of the guys hit the throttle I was fishing. Always and I know this sounds a little exaggerated BUT ALWAYS caught at least a couple right there at the launch. Had everything a bass needed plus the fact 89% of the tourneys on that lake used the Capri launch and guess what they also dumped there catches there after weigh in. Get the picture??
Old 02-18-06, 03:01 PM   #18
zooker

laser so agree when ever i get a chance i fish in the launch areas. tourny release fish normally return to the first available struture in many cases it is the wash out hole at the bottom of the ramp.i have been cussed more than a few times while easeing thru the launch ramps chunkin a c rig..

zooker
Old 02-21-06, 09:49 PM   #19
bass kicker

we have never had any problems with our aluminium boat in rough water and our rough water is probaly worse then the people that live in the southren states
Old 02-22-06, 07:56 PM   #20
zooker

i agree kicker i used to fish the point breeze area on lake ont. i have been out 12 miles with a 16 foot open lund aluminum boat. mind you point breeze is the most apply named chunk of land i have ever been on..

zooker
Old 02-22-06, 08:04 PM   #21
bass kicker

thank you zooker and how did the boat handle
Old 03-31-06, 10:06 PM   #22
Bass tracker Bubba
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I Like my Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin4ever
what are the pros and cons of these two kinds of boats, any help is appriciated
I Bought a 2004 Bass Tracker Pro team 175, with a 50 horse Merc, plenty fast for me, I don't like to go too fast on the water. Waited 22 yrs to buy it and its been worth the wait. Have fun! I'll be on the water Sun AM! BooYah
Bass tracker Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 10:03 PM   #23
Devilhorse
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Devilhorse

idk i gotta wood stauter built

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.