Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-10, 09:04 PM   #1
jbiasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Question fishing tips for late august

Hey guys are they there any fishing stragies that work better in late agust??? Will regualr senko fishing and spinnerbaits work effectivly this time of the year?
jbiasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 11:47 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This time of year, I throw the spinnerbait a lot in the mornings. I only toss the senkos into weeds and trees where the water is deep. I always try to hit the shady side.
I use a lot of jigs, IKAs and tubes this time of the year. The crawdads are active in my neck of the woods.
While I don't use them as often as I should, deep cranks have been productive as well.
Old 08-22-10, 11:47 PM   #3
tharper2202
BassFishin.Com Member

i caught my PB this afternoon on a chartreuse spinner. i usually throw soft plastics. i think im gonna start throwing the spinner more
tharper2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 05:30 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

when it is really hot like it has been this year.......i like ot throw..............ummm, nevermind. might be a water cop somewhere, hahahaha. kidding.

for real, when it is hot as it has been fish slower and look for a/c spots. meaning look for a spot where their is an inlet of water movng into the lake or river. this is gonna be cooler than water standing still. so therefore, the fish will be more active here. at least this is what i have been told.lol.
Old 08-24-10, 07:09 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

From what I've read in the past, by the time mid to late summer arrives, the deeper water regions will contain less oxygen which will not support fish, especially in the south where the lakes get even hotter than up north here. So like Bama said, find moving water where oxygen is mixing into the water. Also, weeds give off oxygen into the water, so working shallower water weedbeds is a pretty good idea. This is a good time to pitch heavy jigs and t rigged creature baits like a beaver down through the heavy weed mats and work for bass below.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 08:36 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

From my observations the LGMouth are already keyed into shad.. the frogs are now silent and the cicadas have just about stopped singing. So the top water poppers in silvery colors have been the ticket in low light. As well rapala minnows and stick baits that suspend work well for the next couple of weeks..

Senkos and worms in day time..

Capt Mike
Old 08-24-10, 02:49 PM   #7
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
From what I've read in the past, by the time mid to late summer arrives, the deeper water regions will contain less oxygen which will not support fish, especially in the south where the lakes get even hotter than up north here. So like Bama said, find moving water where oxygen is mixing into the water. Also, weeds give off oxygen into the water, so working shallower water weedbeds is a pretty good idea. This is a good time to pitch heavy jigs and t rigged creature baits like a beaver down through the heavy weed mats and work for bass below.
I actually heard the opposite, the hot water at the surface (90ºF+) extracts/evaporates/relases most of the oxygen so the fish go deeper, typically 6-20 feet where there is a good balance of warm water with good oxygen. The only exception as you mentioned is close to vegetation which helps regulate the nearby water temperature and oxygen release...

but who knows without actually testing the oxygen levels at various depths...

Lets just go fishing and enjoy ourselves
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 03:06 PM   #8
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've been having some luck with spinner baits, chart, white, red. Money craws in June bug, watermelon, rigged on 1/4 and 1/2 oz football jigs in the wood and slop have been taking a few. My main bait as of late has been Horny Toads, weight less and Texas style have been producing well in the late afternoon and evening. !/2 0z lip less cranks in chrome and blue or chrome and chart, have been doing strong as well. The water here has been rising quite a bit from rain and it has been spotty at times. When the bass fishing has been slow, we've been having some fun with some pretty hefty northern, always a blast to catch.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 08:24 PM   #9
jbiasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Red face help??

Well I live in massachusetts and water is starting to cool down up here and the lakes are still very weedy, the lakes up her don't have many inlets from brooks, and throughtout the summer I have been doing really well fishing docks with senkos our curly tail worms, will the bass still be in shollow this time of year??? What other parts of the lake should I try fishing???? Weed edges anf rock piles are what I'm thinking but i m not to sure where the bass are at this time of year, they only bass I cought recntly was on a black and cooper spinner bait........any tips or suggetions??? I have a girl I'm trying to impress but my usual bass techneques arnt working as well haha
jbiasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 09:13 PM   #10
lilmule

Water temp is weird at time here on ky lake we have the murry state water station over on barkley that monitors both lakes.Recent temp had the surface at 85.7 and three meters down was 85.3,with considerably less oxy.
Green vegetation either topped or under moving water all help a great deal,this is a ledge fishing area yet I catch most fish in less then 4 ft of water,may and june being the exception,but still shallow fish available.Those months the ledge bite can and does produce 30 lb five fish bags,right now about a 12lb one and any grass bite a good one over 14 to 18.Water temp currently 87,but almost all the preferred oxy levels are at those shallow depths,and im finding fish in the shady sides and where a small creek enters or on the edge near deep water.Unweighted senkos,ten pd power pro is getting best results.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 12:24 AM   #11
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Shad shad shad. Seriously. Shad.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.