Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-11-07, 08:12 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Winterizing The 'Ol 14...

Up here in Southern Michigan, I guess you can say that bass fishing is coming to a hasty close with 20-30 degree nights and 40 degree days. Since I will probably not get out but one or two more times, I think it is time to start thinking about winterization for the 14 foot aluminum. I have about three or four main parts I need help on. Hopefully you can explain to me what to do.

Part 1: Battery -- Should I run the battery right near dead, or give it a 100% slow charge? Also, where should I keep the battery for winter? Should I leave it in the boat in the garage, put in in the basement on a piece of wood? I don't know, if you guys can help, type on I say, type on!

Part 2: Gas Tank -- As of right now, she is about 1/2 full. Should I just leave it this way or fill it up and put stabilizer in it? I heard you should fill it up to avoid condensation and rust. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Part 3: Engine, Carburetor, and Fuel Hoses -- Once again, the fuel tank is half full. Should I fill the tank, put stabalizer in it, and run the boat around the lake a while? Also, when I go to pull the boat out, should I disconnect the fuel hose and run the boat until the carburetor is empty, or should I just leave the carb. and fuel hoses full of fuel? As stated above, feel free for a 1,000 word essay.

Part 4: Boat Hull -- Our boat,a 14 footer, has an aluminum hull. Should any special procedures be done to the outside/inside of the boat to remove any weeds, aquatic animal/plant life, invasive species, etc.? As stated previously, feel free...

Just thought I should properly take care of 'er for next year. Never know when you're gonna need 'er...

-ll
Old 11-11-07, 08:36 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

part 1 charge it up..put it in a place that don't freeze-basement work bench would be ideal..
part 2 -burn it up.. gas prices are high as hell right now use it in your snow blower or you car/truck..
part 3 -unhook the fuel line. fire up the moter till it dies.. this rids all of the gas from the system.-gas has 10% or better water in it this WILL freeze and can really mess up hoses and carb parts..
part 4- the boat hull you may want to scrub it down clean it out-use a bleach/water mixture-.. i know i clean my boat every week with soap and hot water..
#5 -you for got this- you need to change the lower unit oil.. this does 2 things saves having to do it in the spring and this removes any residue water in th lower unit which can cost out the butt if it freezes and cracks..
please note ALL lower units WILL have residue water in them. no matter how new the moter is.. older -70's or earlier-moters are almost a flow thru lower unit..
zooker
Old 11-13-07, 10:35 PM   #3
lunker-lander

O.K. Zook, I know what I'm going to do this weekend. But, back me up on what I'm going to do.

1) Scrub outside of boat with warm bleach water...
2) Charge battery ALL DAY on 2 volt, 12 amp slow charge and put on piece of wood on basement bench. Clean terminals on it and clean-up a little...
3) Take to lake and run all gas out of system and fill up gas tank at gas station. Put tanks on piece of wood in corner of shop...
4) Change lower end oil. BTW, what oil do you reccommend to replace it with?

Sound good?

-ll
Old 11-14-07, 06:50 PM   #4
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
3) fill up gas tank at gas station. Put tanks on piece of wood in corner of shop...
-ll
DO NOT DO THIS!! and empty tank wont rust uncap them let them air dry..belive it or not winter is the dryest time of year. water wont get into it. UNLESS YOU LEAVE THE CAP ON IT..

if you fill up the tank now by march you will have 6 gallons of varnish..

zooker
Old 11-14-07, 07:28 PM   #5
lunker-lander

Alright Zook. Thanks for the heads-up! Everything else sound O.K.?

-ll
Old 11-14-07, 07:47 PM   #6
zooker

yep..

zooker
Old 11-14-07, 07:50 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Sweet....Hopefully gettin' her out Saturday night. What baist do you suggest I use? The water is very muddy, like in some of your posts. It has about 8-10" visibility. The weather should be about 30-40 degrees. Any bait ideas?

-ll
Old 11-16-07, 09:43 PM   #8
1FASTLASER

Lemme jump in here and say one thing. Find a can of Deep Creep and just before taking her outta the water for the last time take the cowling off. Then take the can of Deep Creep and spray into the airbox (box in front of the carbs) in intermittent bursts till she starts to stmble. Let it start to idle smoothly again. Do this 3 or 4 times. After she is idling smoothly for the last time REALLY shoot the crap outta the Deep Creep till it finally dies. Your all done till next year now. When you get her out for the spring just remeber to pull the plugs and brush them up real well or better yet go ahead and install a new set.
Old 11-16-07, 10:19 PM   #9
lunker-lander

Sorry Laser, but I just took her out today and ran all the gas out of the carburetor. Going to empty the gas can and charge the battery tomorrow. Then going to wash the outside of the boat with hot bleach water and cover her up for the year.

-ll
Old 11-18-07, 08:30 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Well, I flushed the boat with some soap/water at the car wash today. Just need to drain the gas tank(uncap), charge/clean the battery, put new clips on the depth finder wires that connect to the battery, get new rope for anchors, and cover 'er up.

-ll
Old 11-25-07, 01:20 PM   #11
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

How I winterize my boat: if it is not 20 degrees I take it out as often as possible,fish slow. if it is teens or single digits I remove my lower unit take it to the basement for the winter and sand and repaint it repace the water pump and lower unit grease run stabil though it the last time out just waiting for that first 20 degree heat wave so I can run her again
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 06:01 PM   #12
zooker

boater
your running a titus lower are you not?

zooker
Old 11-25-07, 08:27 PM   #13
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

no Torque master with a bobs sportsman addition nose cose but close off all the top water inlets
boater is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.