Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-22-06, 08:50 PM   #1
Marky2616
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Which casts further.. baitcaster or spinning reel?

If both rods and reels are top of the line whats casts farther spinning or bait caster?
Marky2616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 10:15 PM   #2
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

baitcaster.......at least for me......
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 10:18 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

spinning, because the line go's out freely, baitcasting it doesnt
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 10:18 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I find it is a baitcaster-mainly because I'm throwing a heavier lure on one as opposed to a spinning reel.
Old 10-23-06, 09:54 AM   #5
skeeter944

yeah,reb is right. i get at least and extra 10 yards when throwing a baitcaster compare to a spinning rod.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 02:09 PM   #6
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Yeah, each type of rig has it's ideal applications, and the rule of thumb for spinning gear is for finesse fishin with lighter line, and lures. A baitcaster's claim to fame is for tossing heavier lures longer distance's or for fighting fish in heavy cover. If you took a spinning rig with a 1/2 lure on it, and used it in comparison with a baitcaster with the same line and lure, you should be able to get a stronger and longer cast with the baitcaster. That's not to say that you can't use a spinning rig with heavier line and or braided line on it, you can, but it's usually used for light duty applications.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 06:09 PM   #7
Fishie1

I don't know about spinning anymore....if you get some of those mL 7 foot rods and med rods a baitcaster can handle the 8lb line.....I might not need a spinning rod for anything except skipping docks and stuff in the future......but 6lb line I will use a spinning rod.
Old 10-23-06, 06:10 PM   #8
Fishie1

My baitcasters deffinately throw dropshots better than my spinning reels...go figure.
Old 10-23-06, 06:36 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Fishie, I bought a Falcon Coastal topwater rod specifically for drop shotting and it does the job extremely well. I just didn't like drop shotting with a spinning rod-downside is I bought a Falcon Low Rider Drop Shot rod and now I don't use it.
Old 10-23-06, 10:25 PM   #10
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

I can throw my spinning rod further but i am more accurate with my baitcaster if i am throwing the same lure.
Old 10-24-06, 05:12 PM   #11
PowerBass

Caster, I have more control on the lure, line, and direction im takin that bait. Im debatin on my next setup, cranking stick or all aorund MH, or finnese caster.
Old 10-24-06, 07:13 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Well I guess I'm the weird one. I have some pretty tough setups for spinning reels/rods. I believe that a spinning reel will out distance a baitcaster, due to the lack of resistance. The line comes straight off the spool with spinning, whereas the baitcaster has a spool, inertia(that can help sometimes) with resistance against the spool, even with a zillion bearings or 2 bearings. The eyelets of the spinning reel are also larger, thereby giving a bette chance of less resistance on that also. I use my spinning reels for just about everything except pitching. I prefer a baitcaster with cranks, but I use them on spinning reels also. If using weightless plastics there is no doubt IMO that a spinning reel will far outperform a baitcaster, but when pitching/flipping the baitcaster outperforms the spinning reel. But for pure distance I have to go with a spinning reel with the same size bait/weight. I do however use LARGE spinning reels also, with bigger spools that also make a big difference IMO.(4000 series)

Lizards
Old 10-27-06, 04:35 PM   #13
Vabass22

It all depends. In a perfect situation, with a perfectly full spool of braid, I find that spinning will wast farther, but casters are more accurate, which is way more important if you fish out of a boat.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 12:30 AM   #14
Skeeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
spinning, because the line go's out freely, baitcasting it doesnt
Sorry but i disagree. The line coming off a baitcaster is spooling "straight out" of the reel.. On spinning gear its constantly getting friction coming off the end of the spool thus creating drag and not allowing for longer casting. Equal weight lure and equal diameter of line, a baitcaster should cast farther with more consistensy. just My opinion.

Skeeter
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 12:17 AM   #15
Jolly

I agree with skeeter. His logic seems flawless in my mind. However, I also believe that if we are talking distance it depends on several other factors as well:

I think it depends on the bait. If your throwing a spinnerbait/crankbait, a baitcaster will throw it farther. Fishing a weightless fry or tiki or a small 1/8 oz t-rig 4" worm, due to the lack of weight, a spinning reel will cast it further.

Also, the quality of the reel and ability of the angler make a huge difference in their ability to cast a specific type of reel. A high quality baitcaster will cast further than a lower quality reel. Same with a spinning. A high quality baitcaster in the wrong hands won't cast as far as a wally world special zebco 33. Same with a spinning. It's not so much a matter of physics as it is a matter of technique, experience and quality.

Bottom line, that's a pretty broad question that could only be answered with specifics; but in most applications (in my case, and by skeeter's logic), baitcaster casts further.

Jolly
Old 11-01-06, 12:25 PM   #16
Christopherkeene9

I'm with lizards on this one. I like the spinning for distance and believe it will go alot further than a caster with the same line and lure. But I do have to give props to my caster for its accuracy ability, to stop the line when I want and throw right where I want to. If I couldn't do that this past Sunday I would've been only 1 for 1 instead of 2 for 2!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 01:08 AM   #17
islandbass

It absolutely depends on what is being tossed. I think bc reels have the potential to cast farther for the sake of casting distance and not fishing but I will leave it to someone to google the long distance casting record. This will end the debate.

Back to my point, it depends on what is being tossed. Given the same line and rod, and for this example 8# test and a 1/16th oz rooster tail, the spinning reel will win hands down. If you had a pixy, maybe.

Yes, bc reels can be more accurate, but with quality practice you can be just as precise with a spinning reel. You can feather the line just as you would a bc reel. With that said, it is more involved to do so and why bother when a bc reel makes it more convenient.

I am willing to be most folks here probably don't use spinning gear enough to attain that level of proficiency.

In addition, there are heavy duty spinning reels out there that can handle marlin class fish so the notion that spinning reels is only for light stuff is true only in the realm of general fresh water fishing.

Personally, I think I cast them about the same distance.
Old 11-02-06, 11:44 PM   #18
Jolly

Agreed islandbass, depends on what is being tossed on what type of line with what grade reel and how experienced that person is with that specific rig. Guaranteed with enough practice and the right type of bait/line combo most could outdistance a baitcaster or spinning with a zebco 33!

Also, I googled the long distance cast record and couldn't find anything! Oh well.

Jolly
Old 11-04-06, 02:34 PM   #19
g_mo
BassFishin.Com Member

I Can Cast Further And More Accurate With A Spinning Reel. Sometime I Use A Baitcaster When Fishing A Carolina Rig Or A T-rig Across Open Water. What I Like About Spinning Reels Is That Most Will Come With A Spare Spool. I Keep One Spooled W/ Braid For Fishing Heavy Vegetation, Keep The Spare Spooled W/ Lightweight Flouro For Finesse. By The Way Just Use Your Index Finger To Stop That Spinning Reel Cast And Drop That Bait Right Where You Want It.
g_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 10:38 AM   #20
gangsta34
BassFishin.Com Member

spinning...for me but i think alot of people will agree
gangsta34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 12:11 PM   #21
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

Spinning casts farther if we are talking top of the line here.......a baitcaster is more consistent accuracy wise......high end spinning reels on a high end rod reduces the amount of friction and they absolutely launch.....especially with a long spool......I personally like baitcasters a lot more and that's what I fish with 90% of the time.......But trust me, I have a Chronarch MG and 2 of the new Curado 100's.....They cast far, but not near as far as my 4000 Stradic MG.......I will agree however, that weight does make a huge difference....getting something too heavy for a spinning outfit won't cast far at all.....

Last edited by TackleTester; 01-06-07 at 02:04 PM.
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 09:01 PM   #22
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

if i'm casting my mg it would depend on the line size to how far i can get it to go...as well as what do i have weight wise on the end....when i'm casting my spinning rig....i usually have a baby -1 on the end of the line and i can get it out there a nice distance from the boat.....but i'm addicted to the baitcasters myself.....i love shimano's....even my spinning rig is a shimano sahara....i'm looking at that new shimano on the japan tackle web site .....bet says he would be nervous fishing with such an expensive reel....but i say if your gonna fish....then do it up right......i ain't askeered....
Old 01-06-07, 09:04 PM   #23
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

If you pay for it.... I will fish it.......
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 10:09 PM   #24
Super Fluke

It depends on what I'm throwing.
Old 01-10-07, 03:52 AM   #25
KenDammit

there is definitely friction created on a spinning setup, even if the line appears to be coming off "freely"

First, the line has to change directions when coming off the spool which will immediately creat friction because its pulling over itself.

Second it has to move over the lip of the spool that will then create even more friction.

Third, energy is lost in the "wobble" of the line coming off the spool as line goes out.

Fourth, at least 8 times out of 10 your finger, the one that holds the line before making the cast, will have at least a little bit of grab on the line as you go to release and let the lure fly.

All that said, I think that both styles of reels, when match comparably, will end up competing quite evenly..all other things being equal.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.