Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-16-08, 06:37 AM   #1
bassinri
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Customizing A Crawdad

Hello all. I'm new to the forums but not to Bass fishing and just wanted to say hi and glad to have found the site. OK, my question is I have an 11 foot Coleman Crawdad as my smaller boat to get into farm ponds and for restristricted resivour lakes. Right now the boat is pretty much stock. Im looking to do some custom work to it like I see countless aluminum boats done. Does anyone know if its OK to do work like raising the floors and other mods in these boats or not? I have seen countless metal Jon boats done up but never the ABS plastic type boats. Is there a reason? Does anyone know anybody who has? Any help would be appreciated as the winter is comeing fast up here in New England and I want to start getting so wood etc. Thanks so much!
bassinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 09:20 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

is that a small v hull boat or a canoe??

welcome to the board

zooker
Old 08-16-08, 08:15 PM   #3
bassinri
BassFishin.Com Member

Its a flat bottom Jon Boat.
bassinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 09:09 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

then your boat can be customized my friend. zooker, laser and a few others can help ya out real good. go back and look at some of the boat jobs done from members on here. do your research first...and then you will be ready to do yours. good luck and post pics for everyone, ok? oh yea.... WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF NUTS AND BAIT, BOAT MONKEY FODDER!!! also the RV GORILLA!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 09:24 PM   #5
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Biggest problem when customizing the small boats is getting to high. Raise the floor to high and it becomes unsteady or top heavy.
Old 08-20-08, 01:28 AM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Biggest problem when customizing the small boats is getting to high. Raise the floor to high and it becomes unsteady or top heavy.
The Center of Gravity issue is VERY critical here. Raising the COG by so little as an inch or two can increase "tippiness" to a noticeable (and perhaps dangerous) degree. The dangers increase proportionately with the height and weight of the person(s) on board. Also...mods mean increased weight=less freeboard=increased risk of swamping.
"Crawdads" and others of that ilk were designed to be used as built. Modifications can, and often do, increase safety risks to an unacceptable level.
I urge you to use your craft as designed and save up to purchase a bigger and safer rig later on. If you insist on making any mods that raise the COG or otherwise affect stability, wear your PFD 100% of the time, insist that a partner do the same, and carry only such tackle you can afford to lose. And...Carry a cell phone in a water-proof pouch that floats!
When nature calls, beach to tinkle rather than standing, especially if alone.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 12:00 PM   #7
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

[quote=flfireman;201974]Biggest problem when customizing the small boats is getting to high.quote]

Amen, brother. I have that problem also
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.