Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-08, 02:19 AM   #1
jenner307
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New boat- wondering what you guys think!

Do you guys have any good/bad comments on my new 1987 1710 basstracker? It has a Black max 150hp. We just re clear coated it and it looks alot better I will show before and after's of it. I paid $1600 for it, was it a good deal? We hooked up the hose and it seem to run fine. I hope to get it on the water soon. Please let me know all you thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 029.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	2597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 030.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	2598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 031.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	530.4 KB
ID:	2599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 033.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	2600   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0465 (Medium).jpg
Views:	517
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	2601  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0466 (Medium).JPG
Views:	509
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	2602   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0467 (Medium).JPG
Views:	544
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	2603  
Old 08-27-08, 05:20 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off welcome to the forums. Second NICE JOB on that boat. Makes her look all new again. That 150 is prolly one of the toughest motors out there. That 2.0litre does a nice job pushing hulls with very little problems outta them.
Old 08-27-08, 11:43 AM   #3
jenner307
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah i have little experience with boats but i think it will be a good boar. That is good to hear about the motor, thats what I was worried about the most.
Old 08-27-08, 11:44 AM   #4
jenner307
BassFishin.Com Member

Can't spell boat* LOL
Old 08-27-08, 05:26 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the older glass bass trackers are nitros with a differant wrapper..

decent boat ok price..

zooker
Old 08-27-08, 05:53 PM   #6
bamabassman

looks great to me pal. and welcome to da house of bait monkey fodder!!! you are well on your way like the rest of us.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 09:50 PM   #7
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Looks like a good deal to me.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 11:03 AM   #8
jenner307
BassFishin.Com Member

Default huh

bait monkey fodder?
Old 08-28-08, 11:16 AM   #9
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner307 View Post
bait monkey fodder?
Welcome aboard man You'll understand all the bait monkey comments soon enough ,
Old 08-28-08, 03:31 PM   #10
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Depends on where you are. In this part of the country near lake of the Ozarks seems like a steal after what I am seeing. Aluminum Jonboats are bringing that kind of money. Looks good hope it serves you well.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 04:21 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuskin View Post
Depends on where you are. In this part of the country near lake of the Ozarks seems like a steal after what I am seeing. Aluminum Jonboats are bringing that kind of money. Looks good hope it serves you well.
yeah it seems like a good buy to me
Old 08-28-08, 04:27 PM   #12
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

o no, he asked about the monkey, it's probobly running towards his house at full speed right now. quick, throw some money you saved on that boat at him right now!!!!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 09:53 PM   #13
bamabassman

hahahaha lowrider, yea and his wife is gonna FREAK!!! hahahahahhaa.
Old 08-29-08, 05:41 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Mr Jenner,
You might look around the site particularly the Boat and Trailer forum and find out that I enjoy helping folks with boat problems and I do beleive that there a couple on here that will tell ya that I in fact am fairly knowledgable on boats and setting them up. What I am getting at is this.......After you take her out a few times and get comfortable with it take the time to get her dialed in for optimum performance. Not only will you get better gas mileage but also enjoy the boat awhole lot more becomes it does perform well. What I will need to help you out is the answer to a couple of questions and we can go from there. First off I assume that the boat has a water pressure gauge and tack of course. When running flat out hell bent for leather what are your WOT (wide open throttle) rpms and GPS speed and what water pressure readings are you getting. What prop are you running and how high is the engine. Do a search on this site and I have explained as long as others have explained how to measure engine height. All thats needed is a level and tape measure. I already see you have a jackplate so this is gonna be easy. I already know that these boats dont jump on plane reral well so I wont need a time from dead stop to when the boat lays over. Reason is I just got through earlier this year setting up 2 of these boats. They are heavy but they do ok when setup correctly. I also already know the lower unit ratio so with the answers to the questions I asked I can tell ya what ya need to do to get maximumn outta her.
Old 08-29-08, 07:39 AM   #15
jenner307
BassFishin.Com Member

I will try and get that info asap. I hope to get it registered soon. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-29-08, 07:42 AM   #16
jenner307
BassFishin.Com Member

Also what do you mean jackplate? Is that the aluminum thing between boat and motor?

Im pretty much clueless with all these boat terms.

thanks,
Mike
Old 08-29-08, 11:47 AM   #17
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yep, thats your jackplate. you'll notice that your motor is actually mounted to it instead of the transom (back) of the boat. it allows you to adjust the motor up and down and get the prop exactly where it needs to be for optimum performance. this is where that level and tape measure will come in to play later.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 02:01 PM   #18
bamabassman

jenner ol buddy....LISTEN to ol lowrider, 1fastlaser, zooker, 3d among a few others pal. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!! now as for the bait monkey.....he is the little guy that makes you buy all KINDS of fishing tackle, wheather you need it or not. he has a cousin...the boat monkey. you have already met him see, you have a boat now. he'll make you spend a fw bucks as well. then their distant uncle...the RV GORILLA will get a hold of ya too pal. all 3 have a hold on me, hahahaha. wanna buya travel trailer? pontoon boat? kidding. but stay on board friend, you'll learn alot about all the above here from the best group of folks i have EVER been around. askk anything you want and you'll get alot of answers pal. WELCOME ABOARD!!
Old 09-01-08, 01:18 PM   #19
1FASTLASER

Thanks bama for the kind words.....LOL the kind I like to hear. I just quack myself up sometimes. Anyways Mr. Jenner that actually is one of the best lookin basstracker glass boats I have seen in years. She had to ave been taken care of fairkly well for you to be able to make her look that good. Most of the ones I see are pretty ugly but that one has a damn good look to her. Now I want to let ya know before we start dialing her in DO NOT expect to set the water on fire. That boat is NOT a fast runner. High 50's maybe low 60's is all she is gonna do and thats if everything is up to snuff. The very fastest one I have ever seen actually had 150 on the cowling but was a VERY warmed up 200 under her hood and even then 71 was all we could get that boat to run. It didnt matter what we did that boat would not run any faster. That SAME motor on another 18ft boat (a stratos) turned 76 everyday on GPS and on good days and the speed prop on her dialed in a healthy 81. So you see the boat is just not a fast hull. BUT I aint saying she doesnt look good or there is anything wrong with her. Thats all I am saying is that she is not a fast hull. They actually fish very well in rougher water. They do ride a little rough in the rough water but then again you have to remeber that that boat was made when fiberglass boats where just really coming on strong and those hulls where real new to the scene. Only the richest folks had the fast hulls when your boat was made.
Old 09-02-08, 12:41 AM   #20
jenner307
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks laser,

Yeah the most important thing for me will be catching fish and trolling around on this baby. Not to worried about the speed thing, but im sure i will open her up and she what you guys are talking about.

Thanks

Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.