Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-01-08, 10:21 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Stupid trolling motor...

Ok, to start out, we've got a 2001 motor guide TM, don't know the model though. 43lb thrust. It came on the boat we bought. I noticed about 3 months ago that it did always turn on when I pushed the botton. And then it got worse since.

Now it hardly works when I push the botton, and it doesn't work a lot of the time on the continuous setting either. I've noticed it too that when it does work, it'll quite when I turn the motor to point straight. I think there is a short somehwere, but I have no clue where.

Any ideas or suggestion? we can't afford ot replace it right now, but I'd like to replace it with a Minn Kota. Is replacing it the best option?

Thanks,

BB
Old 09-02-08, 12:12 AM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I have the same problem with mine. We have blown many fuses and a few trips back the plug in complety melted. As for what the problem is I couldnt tell you, but if I remember right we have the same boat with yours being newer I have a 2000 pro team bass tracker with the same trolling motor and the same problems . Some days it works then other days you have to play with it a little .

But for me it was almost always something with the fuse ...so check that out !
Old 09-02-08, 05:28 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB144 sounds like your having problems that will be fixed by the foot switch replaxced. The one under the switch you step on to make it come on. As far as melting the plug please do not EVER run those motors on continuos unless you have changed out the original plug and wire going to battes. That cheap wire and plug wikll cause a melt down everytime. Have to have at least 6 gauge wire and one of the plugs that looks like a 220 plug in order to keep from a meltdown.
Old 09-02-08, 07:26 AM   #4
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If it's a plug in type, I'd say you have corrosion on the plugs, or the female end is worn and making intermittant connections. I had the same problem on the boat I just bought. I've since replaced the plug w/ a heavy duty one like laser suggested.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 08:11 AM   #5
Titleman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
If it's a plug in type, I'd say you have corrosion on the plugs, or the female end is worn and making intermittant connections. I had the same problem on the boat I just bought. I've since replaced the plug w/ a heavy duty one like laser suggested.

Replace my original with a part from West Marine, where the saleman looked up the part for me and said the part was universal and would be ok for my application. Afterward, I had TM fuses blowing quite often. Went to an TM repair shop and the tech that works there laughed at what I told him West Marine saleman had said. He said "the wires within the universal connectors is not the right gauge wire". Made corrections, no more blown fuses. Just another piece of info for your use. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Titleman; 09-02-08 at 08:14 AM. Reason: grammer
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 09:43 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

MoJo, Close, our is a Tracker Deep V, but probably the same TM.

Laser, that's what my dad had though. Can we get a new switch from BPS, or do we have to get it through Motor Guide? We hardly ever run it on continous unless we're fighting the wind. And I still don't like ot cause as soon as I take my foot off the petal it changes directions.

robert, I though about that or maybe having a short in the wiring somewhere, but the weird thin gis the motor wil work if it is turned one direction, then as soon as I turn it straight, it quits again. And it'll do this 95% of the time.

The other thing that rules out the plug is that the front Fish finder is hooked into the same plug.

Thanks again guys,
BB
Old 09-02-08, 05:20 PM   #7
zooker

bb
they only make ONE replacement button for moterguide. it will fit..

takes 5 mintues to change..

zooker
Old 09-02-08, 09:46 PM   #8
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

I once had a Johnson 12/24 that had a wire break under the TM head and every time I turned it it would short out/stop because wire had cut into the sharp shaft edge inside under TM cover.

You might want to look under head cover of TM to see if wires are kinking or shorting out on the shaft edge.

Mine had a bundle of wires that went from inside shaft down to the motor.

It's either this or a switch that is shorting out under pedal when you turn in one direction possibly because of wires under foot pedal moving.
Old 09-03-08, 07:52 PM   #9
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Ok Thanks ....two more questions when I use my trolling motor the postive wire smokes ...and one time even melted part of the battery....And this one is off topic my bilge pump stoped working one day. It doesnt light up any more when I press the botton im guessing its wiring ?
Old 09-03-08, 08:43 PM   #10
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You better stop before you set your boat on fire....If wires are getting so hot that they are melting and smoking then either you don't have the proper fuse/breaker sizes for the wire, or the proper wire size for the fuse/breaker you are using and the equipment it is servicing. Either way, if you are melting things, then the wires are pulling too much current for their rated ampacity. This could be due to corrosion, shorted wires, improperly sized conductors, etc. If the wires have gotten hot, they very likely could have melted the insulation anywhere in the boat and you run the risk of futher corrosion and/or shorts. I just rewired my Glasstream that I bought and the entire DC common wire from front to back of boat was melted from the previous owner. Their first clue...The bilge quit working.

As for the trolling motor, what's the rated amps on the motor and what size wire feeds the motor? And, is it fused or does it have a thermal breaker in-line?
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.