Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-10, 04:28 PM   #1
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Color Vs. Clear Fluorocarbon

I don't want to hijack the line color thread so let's continue the discussion over here.

My question was; "If a Fluorocarbon line tests 100 pounds and is pink, how is it weaker than a clear line also labeled 100 pound test?"

In his post BB144 shows the source of this "tinted is weaker information" to be Seaguar...A company who is a direct competitor of Yo-Zuri, who is the manufacturer of a pink tinted line.

I will add Yo-Zuri's version of the Tint vs. Clear story.

Quote..."Fluorocarbon is only invisible until it gets nicked or scraped up. If this happens, that section of the leader actually lights up from the sunlight. The color pink added to the line helps reduce this problem keeping an anglers invisibility intact. Ultimately the combination of fluorocarbon and the color pink will double your invisibility advantage and increase your chance for hookups!" Unquote.

Personally I think this is just the opposing views of two manufactures about each others products. Obvously either one could make both tinted and clear!

Another opinion was that tinted 100 pound might really only 90 pound test while 100 pound clear could actually be 110 pound test.

I reject this on the grounds that all lines are under rated. (Except for special saltwater lines where World Records are based on"pounds-test line classes.")
It would be sudden death, for any line company, to have their line exposed as not meeting their stated strength.

Therefore if the 100 pound pink is 108 vs clear's 110 so what?! I contracted for 100 pound test and got more than what I paid for, either way.

Now if we can agree that all lines are under rated then we should also be able to agree that this stronger - weaker issue is irrelevant.

The far better comparison, between brands, might be the issue of greater and lessor diameter in a given pound test...But that's another topic...grin.

Please tell me, what you think?
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.