Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-27-12, 09:18 PM   #51
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i fish these today & they work awesome. better then drop shotting i think because u feel more connected to the bottom of the lake.

hey tav i really like your design & them weights. a lot better then the owners jig design that cost $6.29 for 2 hooks.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 09:44 PM   #52
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bassmaster29 View Post
Alright, I have a couple of questions:

1.) When/why would you fish this rig?
2.) How do you fish this rig
3.) Where would this rig be most effective?

Thanks guys!

I will try to answer your questions,but keep in mind that this is a new technique to all of us, so we are learning it as we go.

When/Why?

I throw it anytime I think about throwing a jig, it works well as a football type jig, and comes through the cover and structure very well. I like to throw it because it lets you present your bait in a different way. Unlike a jig, the bait has the ability to free float, giving it allot more lifelike action, when you kill the action the bait can freely float up like a craw in the defensive position. It looks allot more natural than a standard t-rig, and it lets you present the bait in a more horizontal manner than vertical.

How do you fish the rig?

I fish it much the same way you would pitch or flip a t-rigged plastic, then I drag/swim it back much the same way you would a football jig.

Where would this rig be most effective?

I think it has allot of possibilities, but as of now, I am using it like I would a pegged t-rigged plastic, or a jig. It also works well if you sort of slow crawl it across the bottom, keeping contact and letting it bang on rocks or branches on the bottom.

This rig has been fun to fish, with the heavier weights it is easy to feel it on the bottom, it helps you create a mental image of what the bait is doing. I plan on fishing it allot this year and I am sure we will all learn more about how it works best as we fish it more.
Old 03-29-12, 06:49 AM   #53
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You have compelled and influenced me to build a couple of these. I had $50 giffy from TW and ordered and few things to do it yesterday. I even got some split ring pliers I have been putting off for a while. I also threw in a few Hag baits and a KJ topwater and a Gunfish. I only went $51 over my giffy (I had to get that free issue of Bass Angler you know). So if my wife goes to griping, I will give her your phone number and let you handle the heat.
Old 03-29-12, 07:23 AM   #54
coldbasser

Are you asking Tavery5 to help you get the monkey off your back? I have heard that Betty Ford helps with that kind of stuff!!!!!!!!!!! Just saying.[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE][/COLOR] [/I]
Old 03-29-12, 11:20 AM   #55
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
You have compelled and influenced me to build a couple of these. I had $50 giffy from TW and ordered and few things to do it yesterday. I even got some split ring pliers I have been putting off for a while. I also threw in a few Hag baits and a KJ topwater and a Gunfish. I only went $51 over my giffy (I had to get that free issue of Bass Angler you know). So if my wife goes to griping, I will give her your phone number and let you handle the heat.
Yeah, go ahead and give her my number, don't worry I will smooth things right over.
Old 03-29-12, 12:57 PM   #56
IUbass

Ah Tav, youve created a new follower, gonna throw the Jika this weekend. Ill keep ya posted on results!
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 12:58 PM   #57
IUbass

Also everyone, there is a great video on youtube that shows the Jika rig vs. the texas rig. Amazing how different and more life like the Jika is
Old 03-29-12, 12:58 PM   #58
MississippiBoy

I made up a few of these in preparation for our weekend trip to Guntersville. See what you think...

John had the bright idea of painting them with my wife's nail polish. I forget the names of these colors, but I can find out for you tonight, if anyone's interested.

This one I call the "Bamabassman Special." It's hard to tell from this cell phone pic, but it is a pretty shade of PINK...
Old 03-29-12, 03:09 PM   #59
bassboogieman

Is that your VERY OWN nail polish there Danny Boy? You'll probalby claim you borrowed it from Louann but I think it may be from the "personal stock".

PS - have a great time at G'ville, fishing should be hot, HOT, HOT about now and stick your tongue in 'Bama's ear for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 04:18 PM   #60
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
PS - have a great time at G'ville, fishing should be hot, HOT, HOT about now and stick your tongue in 'Bama's ear for me.
Man, I sure hope so. Both of us are foaming at the mouth to get out there and catch some.
And no, I'll let you do the tongue thing to Bama....
Old 03-29-12, 04:19 PM   #61
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I made up a few of these in preparation for our weekend trip to Guntersville. See what you think...

Those look great, what bait you thinking about fishing on them?
Old 03-29-12, 04:20 PM   #62
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUbass View Post
Ah Tav, youve created a new follower, gonna throw the Jika this weekend. Ill keep ya posted on results!

Can't wait to hear how you do, make sure you post some details so we can all learn what is working well with these baits.
Old 03-29-12, 04:32 PM   #63
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Those look great, what bait you thinking about fishing on them?
Probably Paca craws, lizards, Berkley Havoc Pit Boss and/or Craw Fatty, plus some Berkley beaver-type baits I picked up, can't remember the name...I got them mainly because they're pure white, in case we do any sight fishing. I'll probably completely replace my T-rigs with this, at least for this trip, to give it a good workout.
Old 03-29-12, 07:15 PM   #64
bassboogieman

Ok, I see how you did this. Tried a couple myself, but I used a different hook - a 4/0 Gamagatsu skipgap hook. Maybe my plastics will stay put without glue or pegs. We'll see.
Old 03-29-12, 08:04 PM   #65
Tavery5

Quote:
Ok, I see how you did this. Tried a couple myself, but I used a different hook - a 4/0 Gamagatsu skipgap hook. Maybe my plastics will stay put without glue or pegs. We'll see.

Great idea, Pro Reel and I talked about using these hooks a little while back. We thought that no only will it help keep the bait in place, but the pull line for the skip gap hook is much better than the regular EWG.
Old 03-29-12, 10:03 PM   #66
Jrob78

Quote:
These are the hooks I planned to use as well, at least on some of my rigs. I love Skip Gap hooks for beavers and craws especially. They keep the bait in place and have great hookup ratios, I just wish they made them in a Super Line hook. I got my weights, hooks and split rings ready to go. I'm going to try my hand at powder painting tomorrow.
Old 03-29-12, 10:52 PM   #67
bassboogieman

Is this the point where we can say: All Great Minds Think Alike?

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-30-12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-01-12, 12:28 AM   #68
WallStreetAmigo

What size split rings are you guys using on these?
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 02:45 AM   #69
Jrob78

I painted about 25 weights yesterday and made up a few on a variety of hooks. I used 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2oz weights. I did notice that some hooks require a really small split ring so that the ring can move freely through the hook eye, this is where the ringed hooks would be really nice. I am going to order some, I couldn't find anywhere local that sells them. I see why the swivels on the weights are nice too, the powder paint prevents the weight eye from spinning. I don't think that will cause too much problem though. I am also going to find some different craw style baits that have a hollow body that will accept foam ear plugs to make them float. I know I can use tubes and Biffle Bugs and the Lake Fork Craw has a hollow body too. I am going to see what else I can find.

Last edited by Jrob78; 04-01-12 at 02:55 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 09:30 AM   #70
Tavery5

Those look good Joe, I am sure they will fish great. Post a pic or two to the fish you catch.
Old 04-02-12, 10:58 AM   #71
IUbass

Well guys, didnt throw it a ton. The tourny was pushed back due to storms, and I went with more crankbaits and spinner baits. However, I did catch one on the Jika. Threw it on a 3 size Gama hook with a 3/8 cylninder drop shot weight with a 2 size split ring. Went with the two because the opening for the drop shot weight was small, but still gave great action. Had tied on a 4" Powerbait chigger craw in green pumpkin. Awesome movement though. Cant wait to throw it more when I dont feel rushed
Old 04-02-12, 02:49 PM   #72
Mumpy

I fished with the Jika Rigs I made this weekend and used a Black and Blue Tube on them. The action that this Rig gives these tubes are amazing! Caught a 3LB Male in 2' of water on it. I'm 100% sold on these things now.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.