Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-12, 12:11 PM   #1
the pyromaniac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default multi-species angling

So, who goes after stuff other than bass? Personally, while I love bass, and pursue them more than anything else, I also love to fish for multiple species. I've never met a fish I didn't enjoy catching, and it's my goal to catch 200 different species and subspecies before I croak or Jesus comes back, whichever comes first. Here's what I've caught so far:

Sunfish (19): largemouth bass, northern largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, northern spotted bass, black crappie, white crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed, warmouth, flyer, green sunfish, redbreast sunfish, redear sunfish (shellcracker), longear sunfish, orangespotted sunfish, dollar sunfish, rock bass (redeye), Roanoke bass (redeye)

Catfish (10): blue catfish, channel catfish, flathead catfish, white catfish, black bullhead, flat bullhead, stonecat, yellow bullhead, snail bullhead, brown bullhead

Salmonids (3): brook trout, rainbow trout, brown trout

Suckers (2): golden redhorse, river redhorse

Cartilaginous fish (1): Atlantic stingray

Drums (3): Atlantic croaker, spot croaker, white mullet

Perch (2): yellow perch, apron du Rhône

Minnows (17): common carp, common shiner, golden shiner, redfin shiner, striped shiner, whitetail shiner, cutlips minnow, fallfish, bull chub, bluehead chub, river chub, creek chub, central stoneroller, hornyhead (redtail) chub, steelcolor shiner, streamline chub, spotfin shiner

Herring (1): alewife

True bass (2): striped bass, white bass

So far, that's 60 species & subspecies. I hope to run that number up over 70 this year.
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 12:14 PM   #2
the pyromaniac

The question will undoubtedly arise, "What the expletive deleted is an apron du Rhône?" Well, I'll tell you! It's a small fish, basically the world's largest darter, looks like a cross between a perch and a sucker. They're found only in the Rhône and Saône Rivers in southern France, and they're critically endangered. I caught one on something similar to a mealworm in August 1992, when I was 14 years old.
Old 01-25-12, 05:02 PM   #3
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

will always love bass, but catfish is my first, when it comes to cats, lo i am the one teaching, lol catfish all the way, bass are fun but when ya fighting a big flattie on a live gill..

fishin for gills for bait is fun too on ultralight. salt water fishng is creeping up on me.. catching river fowl a close 4th, lol had a heron or some big bird, picl up a yo-zuri popper before.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 06:26 PM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thats an impressive list so far. I prefer LMB but enjoy them all. Toothy fish conspicuously absent? Northern Pike-Muskellunge-Pickerel-------Long nosed/Shortnosed/Alligator and Spotted Gar. 5 or 6 of those should be doable this year, keep us posted.
Old 01-25-12, 06:41 PM   #5
the pyromaniac

I have northern pike, muskie, walleye, sauger, longnose gar, spotted gar, and possibly shortnose gar within 40 minutes of where I live, so I'm hoping. There's also 2 trips to Florida and possibly a trip to Brasil on the agenda for this year, which would open up possibilities of Florida gar, bowfin, paiara, piranha, pacú, and traíra. I'm disappointed in the lack of toothy stuff too, but those would help...
Old 01-25-12, 06:48 PM   #6
the pyromaniac

I'm also hoping to catch an Ohrid trout, which have been stocked heavily in northeastern Tennessee, not far at all from me.

Probably next year, I'm looking at a trip to La Piedad Cabadas, Michoacán de Ocampo, Mexico. One of my fishing buddies, Tóño the Mexican, just built a house there. His brother Carlos pastors a church in nearby Puerto Vallarta, and is a habitual saltwater angler...

Maybe 300 is a more realistic goal. The guy I was with when I got the apron du Rhône has a house on the Mediterranean coast of France. I have a standing invite to get over there, and we have some unfinished business with the fish there.
Old 01-25-12, 07:21 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Tóño the Mexican,.....that strikes me as funny for some reason? Is it just you that calls him that or is on his DL? Or maybe it's a nickname or stage name kinda like "Larry the Cable Guy" ?
Old 01-25-12, 08:30 PM   #8
the pyromaniac

It's what we call him. His name is José-António, and he's a Mexican chef. He's actually one of the few legal Mexican I know around here. We just shorten it to Tóño because his brothers are José Juan, José Alberto, José Rafael, José Carlos, and José Alfredo. I'm pretty good friends with Rafael and Juan as well. They're a great bunch of guys. Tóño and Juan are chefs, so they're good guys to have around for reasons other than their winning personalities.
Old 01-25-12, 08:43 PM   #9
lilmule

Good luck in catching an ohrid,stocked in 79-86 and tn state record caught in 86,possibly can catch a standard laker as even chillowee gets them but not that sub variety that came from Yugoslavia.
As just didnt pan out,please document if you do catch one.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 08:54 PM   #10
the pyromaniac

I heard of a few being caught last year. All I need is one! Are there any cutthroats left down there? I know they were stocked in your area at one point too.

As for the lakers, I would love to get one, I just need a local to get me to the right spot.
Old 01-25-12, 09:07 PM   #11
lilmule

An ohrid is a laker just a sub variety,and any search for catches on the internet all point to 1986 and back when stocked,lakers in general can be had now state record is much more recent around 2008,most likly your catches you heard about.
Its listed as a (ohrid) on the watoga page as an exotic,and possible as they have a long life,bet if you caught one it would make the papers,as none of the lakers reproduce in Tn.Strictly put n take fishery and the ohrid had its day 36 years ago.If they did reproduce it would not be the pure genetic sub strain it was.
So your chances are slim and none for the ohrid and possible slim on lakers.
Just guessing but doubt if a local has caught one in over 30 years(ohrid).
Like the state record cutthroat trout wont be beaten easily as no longer stocked.
Im much farther west than those eastern tn lakes,but have fished them and for them back around when possible to catch ohrids there.Lakers standard variety can be had in several lakes.
You stand a much better chance at catching an atlantic needle fish in Tn waters than an ohrid.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-25-12 at 09:18 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 09:39 PM   #12
Dogmatic

Man, nice list, I know what I am doing later tonight...compiling my list! In VA, you should have a chance at some nice toothy critters, snakeheads, walleyes and american shad, salmon andfishing wipers too, as well as salt, blues, weakfish, trout, ect. Good luck, I am primarily a bass fisherman, but if it tugs on a line, I catch it.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 12:46 AM   #13
the pyromaniac

So now we need to make some additions to my list:

northern bluegill (subspecies)
bullhead minnow
white sucker
white shiner
Popeye shiner

That's 65. Still no luck on the toothy stuff though! That part kinda sucks...
Old 04-15-12, 03:11 PM   #14
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bass are the main species I target. However, I do fish for musky and certain edibles (walleye, yellow perch, bluegill) on occasion. My dad and I have also made a couple trips to eastern Ohio for steelhead.

BB
Old 04-15-12, 05:17 PM   #15
the pyromaniac

I fish for bass the most too, but I love them all... If it's a fish, I'll angle for it!
Old 04-15-12, 07:09 PM   #16
bassinbob

Used to fish walleye and put and take trout. Now it's only bass for the many different ways of angling for them.
Old 04-15-12, 07:31 PM   #17
AUFred

I often carry gear as a fall back if the bass refuse to bite. I will take crappie or bream if they will cooperate. Bass are my first choice though.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 01:38 PM   #18
3dkicker

Besides bass we catch blue, white, and channel cats, white and yellow perch, multiple sunfish species, crappie, rockfish or striper, blue fish, shad and snakeheads on the tidal Potomac river. Go above the fall line and you add a bunch of fresh water species and if you head further down river you get into all the salt water species.

Just like Forrest says "Fishing the Potomac is like a box of chocolates....."
Old 04-18-12, 01:35 PM   #19
WTL

I always like to add new fish to the list, and plan on adding several this year...

The main ones are
Largemouth
Smallmouth
Spots
Alabama Spots
Suwanee
Shoal
Redeye
Various bream
Chain Pickeral
Redfin Pickeral (NEW!)
Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Atlantic Salmon

Hoping to knockout guadelupe bass, brook trout, golden trout, steelhead and maybe sturgeon this summer as I take the advice of Horace Greeley.
Old 04-18-12, 02:13 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
as I take the advice of Horace Greeley.
Nice reference.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.