Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-24-12, 03:03 PM   #1
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Newbie Line/Reel Question??

I was just watching some of KVD fishing videos and most of them he is using a Quantum Pro bait-caster reel with 12lb 125yd capacity using 25lb Fluorocarbon? So that brings me to the question of... I have two spinning reels one with 8-12lb capacity and another with 6-10lb capacity how heavy of a line could you really use?
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 03:31 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

On a spinning reel, you need to keep the line size down. I wouldn't go over 12lb line, maybe 10lb, depending on the size of the reel. Heavier line, especially fluoro, has a tendency to jump off spinning reels and cause a major pain in your backside.
On a side note, are you sure KVD was using 25lb fluoro? That's a flipping/pitching line, and he's not known for that. Just satisfying my curiosity...
Old 04-24-12, 03:35 PM   #3
MIbasser

Mac, you really don't want to go above 10-12 lb on a spinning reel. I stick with 10 lb but I also use FC and a couple of tricks. The biggest issue you are going to run into on spinning reels is with a larger line, it will have a better chance of jumping off the spool and then cause a lot of problems.

By going to a bigger line, it will take up more space and therefore he will use less line on it (maybe around 80-100 yards instead of 125). Also, look at what bait he was using. I would guess he was chucking a spinnerbait in heavy cover. Hence his rod, reel and line were all put together in that nice package to fish a big bait in cover. If you are using a spinning rod and chucking a frog in slop, typically the fish will win. Use your rods and reels much like a mechanic uses his wrenches to fix a car. Different tools for different jobs.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a rant, but just stick to the simple stuff and enjoy fishing.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 03:38 PM   #4
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

He was flipping jigs but just caught my curiosity of 25lb fluorocarbon on a 12lb capacity line I was like WHAT? The video shows the exact tackle he was using. So on a bait-caster with a 12lb capacity how heavy could you go?
Old 04-24-12, 03:42 PM   #5
MIbasser

See my above post.
1) what type of rod are you using?
2) what type of cover are you fishing?
3) what type of bait are you fishing?

These are just a few things to think about when picking out a line. I don't think I've ever worried about how much line a reel can handle.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 03:43 PM   #6
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

The reason for my question is I am looking for get a bait-caster and use 17lb fluorocarbon since it seems to open up a wide variety of different baits I can use but would I be ok with a 12lb capacity bait-caster or should i be looking for one that actually says 17lb capacity?
Old 04-24-12, 03:47 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

The capacity listed on a reel is strictly to give you an idea about how much line the reel should hold. All the ones I've seen say "xxx yards of 12lb monofilament." Feel free to use 8, 10, 12, 17, 20 pound line on most reels. You're not overstressing the reel's structure by using any "normal" strength fishing line.
Old 04-24-12, 03:50 PM   #8
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
The capacity listed on a reel is strictly to give you an idea about how much line the reel should hold. All the ones I've seen say "xxx yards of 12lb monofilament." Feel free to use 8, 10, 12, 17, 20 pound line on most reels. You're not overstressing the reel's structure by using any "normal" strength fishing line.
Thanks! Thats the point i was getting to overstressing the reels structure!
Old 04-24-12, 04:11 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

The only time you might get into harming the reel with line that's too heavy is if you're using tiny little reels like the Daiwa Pixie, or other reels that are meant for throwing lighter finesse type baits. In that case, you better stay in the 6-8lb range. But most quality reels can handle 20+ line just fine.
Old 04-24-12, 04:37 PM   #10
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 25lb flouro????

I can't imagine using flouro that heavy as doing anything but causing massive problems because of how stiff the line is. I guess I'm no KVD
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 09:31 PM   #11
bassinbob

KVD Line conditioner. Works wonders.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.