Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-04-12, 02:19 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default how do you turn a frog hook

been missing alot and people are talking about turning hooks, i beleive i read it on here before aswell, cant find the thread. So my question is? whats the best way and pliers to do it. i mean do i just grab the tip and make it parraly with the frog or do i point em out more towards the outerside. i dont wanna mess up those LT and Iobees are a bit expensive
Old 06-04-12, 02:42 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I take a pair of pliers and turn the hooks up about a 1/16"-1/8". You don't need much. Just enough so the point is above the back of the frog. I have all spro's and it seems to work well for me. Also, it really helps to put a blindfold on when frog fishing. that way you don't get too excited when you see the blowup...
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 03:02 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When you have a blowup or take do not set the hook,point rod at direction bass was going reel up slack then set the hook ,like as in 123 count,hooks as made are sufficient any bending is due to operator and their likes or dislikes,but they work fine as is providing you point reel up then set.This is for floaters ribbets,horny toads are no different than a buzz bait bite.Any change in up position while it may be easier to hook up at times has the drawback of catching the cover like as in veggies.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 09:27 PM   #4
wallywallace

thanks mule, i do the 123, just not the point, but i will try that instead of doctoring up my frogs,

and yea MI, usally the first 3 blowups i miss, becasue of excitment, after that pure concentration
Old 06-05-12, 07:06 AM   #5
Dogmatic

Perfect example for the case of waiting when it comes to frog bites...I was fishing yesterday with a R2S frog. Tossed it out, let it sit, gave it a little tug. Then the damn bugs started to really swarm, BAM! nice 3 lb'er blows up on my frog, and I was too busy swatting flys to react to the bite right away. By the time I got around to setting the hook a few seconds ticked by, but low and behold, the fish was stuck. I don't mess with my hooks, weedless is more important for me. Ya just gotta wait on the set.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.