Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-17-07, 11:26 AM   #1
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Golf Course Ponds.. How To Get Access?

I have been searching local fishing holes by using Google Earth. I can see that within a 5 mile radius of my work, there are 13 different ponds! 7 of those are within 2 miles. There is a golf course across the street from me that has 4 ponds.

Does anyone know of a way to gain access to golf course ponds? Should I approach the greenskeepers and ask them? I would think that they would flatly deny anyone access to any part of the facility due to liability issues.

Anyway, this golf course is well established and has been in business since the late 60's. I would have to assume that the fish are there, and living quite happily just waiting on me to come and catch them.

Anybody have any ideas as to how I might gain access LEGALLY? I don't want to have to go on a "night fishing" expedition.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 11:28 AM   #2
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Some of the golf courses will allow you to fish their hazards during the off season, or off hours. Talk to the greenskeeper. Be courteous and polite, and you might get somewhere. Make a good impression that will let them know you are responsible, and you stand a better chance.
Old 08-17-07, 11:50 AM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

If the golf course is a public city course, then you may have trouble getting in. I have been chased off many times from one public course, but the huge fish keep me coming back lol. If you can get into a country club course, then just walk on and start fishing. They will assume you live there and not say anything. Around here, they close on mondays to do work, try then. The golf course I fish is a private community, so fishing is allowed.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 11:55 AM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Is this Golf Course lined with houses? I used to do quite a bit of Golf Course pond fishing. Now a lot of Golf Courses that are more upscale and have a big reputation will most likely deny you whether or not you are polite and curteous. If this Golf Course isnt so well-known, then you may have a shot. Just ask the greenskeeper or go to the clubhouse. If there is any ponds that border houses than you just have to ask the home-owner if they ahve a problem with you fishing the pond. Usually they dont care, and the Golf Course people cant say anything to you, because you arent on Golf Course property. My uncle lives in a ritzy neighborhood that includes a Golf Course, and honestly I used to just go out there and fish the ponds. I'd always stay out of the way and never leave any trash. Golfers would often come up and ask me if I was catching anything, they were usually very nice. I got ran off once, then again and stopped fishing it.

Now there are things to be considered when fishing Golf Course ponds:
-Remember that you are a guest there, so always be polite to anyone and everyone who comes into contact with you, even if they are being d*cks or kicking you off.
-Know the Course, you dont want to be fishing ponds on the greenway[meaning golfers will have to hit the ball over you to the next hole] that is the quickest way to get kicked off. If you stay out of the way, most golfers wont think twice about it and they will continue to golf, while you continue to fish.
-Never leave trash near the pond or anywhere for that matter [this includes anything from line to plastic worm pieces] and make sure to pick up any trash you do see.
-Dont run away from anyone approaching you, even if its the Golf Course security or what not.

If someone does report you, or they notice you and decide to kick you off, they arent going to be mean to you about it. They will ask you politely to leave the course, usually explaining why [legal mumbo jumbo] and as long as you ralize they are doing their jobs and be polite there wont be a problem. I had Golf Course security come up to me once and we sat there and chatted for awhile, he mentioned he had no problem at all with me fishing there, but due to rules and what not he had to ask me to leave, and if it was his way he would let me stay. so they are usually pretty nice about it, as long as you are to them.

Next time I make my way down to Orlando I'll be fishing the Golf Course ponds of the Ritz Carlton, one of the best Courses in Central Florida. I have a friend who caddies there and he has permission to fish. And what is interesting is that they actually have guided fly-fishing trips on some of their ponds, pretty cool.
Old 08-17-07, 12:01 PM   #5
bassfisher02

PS: even if they do kick you off, you can usually go back out there in a few days and not have any problems, just stay out of the way and dont be seen. And even if they do kick you off again, they wont do anything different from the first time, usually they wont even remember you. [Although if you give them a reason to remmeber you, in a negative way, they will most likely make a pretty big problem if they catch you again]. Thats why its good to be nice to whoever is kicking you off, they may just turn the other way if they happen to spot you again.
Old 08-17-07, 01:07 PM   #6
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

This is most definitely a private course, with homes surrounding some of the ponds. It appears that where the homes are located, there are no golf holes anywhere near where I would be fishing. I guess I will have to get the homeowners permission to fish there and see what happens.

There is also a monster pond across from the golf course that appears to be a neighborhood pond that only has homes built around it. If any of you are good with Google Earth, here are the coordinates and you can view it yourself:

W 95 deg. 31' 5" by N 29 deg 58' 49"
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 01:54 PM   #7
texasbasser

Whats the golf course name?
Old 08-17-07, 04:50 PM   #8
Bass'n'cast

well if you do know if there are fish in there do exactly what O2 said. also some of those ponds may not be stocked because the ponds are man made rather then naturally, but there may be carp to keep the pond clean. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 04:51 PM   #9
hackattack

guys cmon...night fishing
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 04:54 PM   #10
texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass'n'cast View Post
well if you do know if there are fish in there do exactly what O2 said. also some of those ponds may not be stocked because the ponds are man made rather then naturally, but there may be carp to keep the pond clean. Good luck and keep us posted.
pretty much 99% of golf course ponds are man-made, they dont really build around them.. Night fishing there is the worst way to get caught fishing on a golf course!
Old 08-17-07, 05:00 PM   #11
bassfisher02

Ehh, depends really. Night fishing really wont bother anyone unless you are fishing a pond backed up to a house, where the occupant may look out the wndow and see someone standing in there back yard... but if its on the course its actually a pretty good idea, because you wont be bothering anyone and usually anyone there to see you would be people in their houses, but if they can see you are fishing on the course they usually wont care. But Kawabuggy specifically said he doesnt want to night fish them, so yeah.
Old 08-17-07, 10:36 PM   #12
basschamp4

yea i had the same problem with a private pond in my neighborhood anyone hoo said anything i just said that i had pemission from one of the other homeowners and they didnt care
Old 08-17-07, 11:42 PM   #13
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a magic rock in my possesion that allows instant and unlimited fishing access to any golf course in the world. I would gladly sell it to you for the low price of $24.99.

That, or you could do the obvious thing and ask someone at the course.
Old 08-18-07, 12:10 AM   #14
FlyRod

Someone in jail for trespassing in 10...9...8...7...

Why not just pay the darned green fee, play until you reach the pond, pull your Roland Martin Magic Collapsible Wonder Rod outta your bag, and fire away for a about three minutes? Always worked for me in my golfing days.
I always tried to play on lousy weather days during the week. Fewer prying eyes, better fishing.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 12:24 AM   #15
texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Someone in jail for trespassing in 10...9...8...7...

Why not just pay the darned green fee, play until you reach the pond, pull your Roland Martin Magic Collapsible Wonder Rod outta your bag, and fire away for a about three minutes? Always worked for me in my golfing days.
I always tried to play on lousy weather days during the week. Fewer prying eyes, better fishing.

FR
Seems like it would work, BUT now on alot of courses there is that stupid Golf warden that drives around looking for people fishing, doing donuts in a golfcart, wrecking the fairway, etc
Old 08-18-07, 11:41 AM   #16
bassfisher02

Unless you decide to try to work your way onto a world class course and fish without permission, I highly doubt the cops will be called. In fact, they wont even think about it, unless you give them attitude.
Old 08-18-07, 01:50 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
guys cmon...night fishing
ok, That would be trespassing. I have access to a golf course near my house, and when I asked if i could use the ponds to fish, the manager told me not during open hours, but he did say I Could use them anytime other than that. Now if I owned the golfcourse I'd be worried for Legal reason, I wouldn't want to get sewed.
Old 08-18-07, 02:43 PM   #18
bassfisher02

Night fishing or not its trespassing without permission. But like I said, more times than none they just politely ask you to leave, if at all.
Old 08-18-07, 10:13 PM   #19
FlyRod

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
Seems like it would work, BUT now on alot of courses there is that stupid Golf warden that drives around looking for people fishing, doing donuts in a golfcart, wrecking the fairway, etc
Heck, no prob. Just hide behind a tree and when he motors by, brain him with your putter. Sheesh! Do I have to solve EVERYONE'S problems?

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 05:32 PM   #20
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Or when you catch fish bite it's head off and throw it at the Green's Keeper... He'll be to scared to bother you again. *Warning leaves slimy fishy taste*
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 05:47 PM   #21
JB

They dont have any golf course ponds with bass around here that I know of, but I do know that if they tell you once to leave and catch you there again its almost certain the cops will cuff you and charge with criminal trespass, a minimum of $250 bucks first offense. If the owners want to get crappy with ya they may try trespass charges 1st offense.
try at night! lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 07:42 PM   #22
bassfisher02

JB, I've been caught more than once, on a very high scale neighborhood golf course, they said the same thing they did the first time to me. Most of the time they wont even remember telling you to leave before, so they treat it as a first time. [This doesnt apply if you get caught the next day] Which is why if you do happen to get caught, you should wait a week or more and fish a different area. The only time where I cans ee the cops being involved is if you show attitude, refuse, or get caught on some World Renown Course, owned by a hotel or what not.
Old 08-29-07, 10:36 PM   #23
skeeter944

#1-Ask permission!
#2-Tell them you will clean up your mess and other peoples also
#3-Be courteous to the golfers!
#4-Watch out for golf balls!
When I fish Golf Course ponds, I like to fish the last 9 holes in the morning and the first nine in the evening. It's just better to stay away from the golfers, although having an audience while fishing is nice, especially when you get that big bass you've been waiting for! Have fun!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.