Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-24-08, 09:04 PM   #1
Rlbol
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First boat purchase HELP

First off I would like to say hello to everyone. I have been lurking and reading on here for a while and now have lots of questions! I am looking for an older project boat. Something that I can take my son out fishing in as well as take my wife and kids out and put around in. My kids are both still young so size should be much of a problem. So I would like some suggestions on what brand and model to look for. I would like to find a good boat that will fill my needs and hopefully will not be to expensive to buy. I am pretty mechanically inclined and enjoy working on things, so maybe my son and I can redo it together. So what should i look for? I have spent a lot of time on craigslist and have a lot of different bass book listed around me. also I am by Lake Okeechobee in florida so there are lots of boats around!
tanks
Rlbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 10:24 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well if i knew where you were. i know of a ranger, 18' with a 150 merc on it you can get for $3500.00. needs some T L C . but is a great starter. nothing too hard to fis up, carpet and a couple of mods. motor supposed to be in top condition for it's age. forget the year model. i think it is a 350v. would make a great first boat.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 11:21 PM   #3
Rlbol
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry about that I am in Palm Beach Florida
Old 08-25-08, 12:33 AM   #4
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

You could start off new with a Carolina Skiff (suppose to be unsinkable) and a small motor. You would be in a safe boat that is not likely to break down and leave you and you family out on a lake or river somewhere. Nothing will put a damper on your family's enjoyment of boating quicker than being stranded.

I just got a quote on a J-14 ($1893) and a J-16 ($2112). That is boat only. You have to add trailer, troll motor, batteries, and engine. This is a cheap way to start off new rather than have someone's problems.

These are just my thoughts...I wish you luck.

Buddy
Old 08-25-08, 06:13 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well if i knew where you were. i know of a ranger, 18' with a 150 merc on it you can get for $3500.00. needs some T L C . but is a great starter. nothing too hard to fis up, carpet and a couple of mods. motor supposed to be in top condition for it's age. forget the year model. i think it is a 350v. would make a great first boat.
Dang bama............wish I had the money sittin around...........as most of ya know the 350series are the best rangers in my mind. They are the fastest and have the best fishing platforms ever made in my opinion and actually rode pretty dang well. Still cant figure out why ranger dont build em like that anymore.

Oh yeah I remeber GENMAR owns em now and we all know what the word Genmar does for a boat.
Ranger introduced the R series boats and they where ok but still not the 350 series by no means. Then along came the 186 and the 196 I beleive the numbers are. Dont get me wrong they are ok boats by cookie cutter standards but you sit ON TOP of them while driving. I aint never liked that. I wanna get IN the boat not on it.

Be very careful buying a boat in that area. Lots of goodones I am sure of but beware of saltwater damage to boats motors and trailers. Look every boat over very well that you are looking at to purchase. The sacrifical anodes will tell ya whether or not they flushed and rinsed the saltwater off of the boats. If they did that most likely they will be ok on the insdide. If ya see sacrifical anodes that are eaten up RON not walk away from a boat/ After the first lookover if your still interested get a compression reading on the engine. That will tell ya what the motor is like. Look in every corner,under everything. Birds nest wiring is another thing to run from.
Old 08-25-08, 07:45 AM   #6
Rlbol
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies
Even though it is fairly premature. I seem to like the oder rangers as well. I am looking at a 335v It needs some work but is very inexpensive. it is an 1981 my concern is the wood transom. Do they have alot of problems? Also how can you check that they are not rotten? the other boat is an 96 ranger 390v it is obviously in better shape due to it's age but is also more expensive.

So what are other good brands and models? as of now the main feature I am looking for is a boat capable of 4 people. not to fish out of but capacity wise. I figured fishing with more then two people or or my self and two kids would be about the limit.
Old 08-25-08, 06:10 PM   #7
bamabassman

yea laser, i am wishing i had the money as well, lmao. i would LOVE to redo her.
Old 08-25-08, 08:09 PM   #8
Rlbol
BassFishin.Com Member

So where is this boat and what is it??
Old 08-25-08, 08:13 PM   #9
bamabassman

where? rainsville, al. what kind? ranger...think it is an 18' with a 150 merc. it is at this ladies brothers auto glass repair shop. her husband died and she won't take less than $3500.00. i can get more info IF you are serious. i go by it everyday to and from work. can take a few pics...but can't promise ya i can load em, lmao. ain't real good at loading pics. oh yea, rainsville is east of huntsville, al.
Old 08-25-08, 09:32 PM   #10
Jackl

RIBOL,
My $.02 is to buy the '96. It has a solid glass transom, so you will not have to worry about rot. If you can't swing the price for a newer boat, you can check the transom on an older one by lifting up on the lower unit and shaking it to see if the transom gives. If it does, there is rot inside the glass on the transom. I would suggest a 91 or later Ranger, as they will all have solid glass transoms.

JackL
Old 08-26-08, 05:30 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Ple jackl nows a thing or 2 om dem rangers yes he does.

Bama ifn ya get the chance and wanna takwe the time post up some pics of the rimger. Who knows.
Old 08-26-08, 05:27 PM   #12
bamabassman

o, pal. will do for you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.