Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-02-12, 11:04 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kayak rigging thread.

Figured I start a new thread to update with rigging on this thing.

Saturday morning I went back out...The wind picked up and I quickly realized that an anchor trolley needed to be installed quickly on this thing...I use a brush clip now,but thats only good for so many spots where I was.

So Sunday afternoon I started to install a ''No drill'' anchor trolley using 550 paracord (which I have a ton of)

I got the idea here,but added a few changes:
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...r-trolley.html

Since this kayak came ready for a rudder (which I dont plan on adding one)
I used plastic wire clamps to install into the bolts along the tankwell to keep the top line from riding up...I also put one in the side handle bolt.

Once installed,I use lime green paracord to form a loop..Sewed the ends with heavy duty thread,super glued the knot, then a piece of heat shrink to cover it...This is also done on the bow using the paddle keeper hardware.

Im not using pulleys...For now Im just using carabiner's for the whole system...Probably switch to pulleys later on.

The black cobra weave is just for looks and to take up loop slack....But mainly for looks...Very easy weave to do.

Then I just run my main line through the carabiners...Figure a good tightness on the line (so it doesn't pop over the side)...Sew/heat shrink two more loops around the main carabiner (that the anchor will clip too)

..and thats pretty much it.

You can sorta see the plastic clamps attached to the bolts used as a guides for the top of the anchor trolley...The bottom portion runs free and easy...When not in use Ill just the clip the top and bottom together to keep it out of the way....Should work well for now....Im adding some eva foam spacers to the carabiners to make them silent when slapping the hull.

More to come.

Old 04-02-12, 01:22 PM   #2
bassboogieman

Neat idea, I don't have an anchor trolly on mine. But really dude, with all your attention to detail............................... could you not have burried that "unsightly" splice inside that neat cobra wrap?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 02:20 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Neat idea, I don't have an anchor trolly on mine. But really dude, with all your attention to detail............................... could you not have burried that "unsightly" splice inside that neat cobra wrap?

HAHAHA! Im not gonna lie...It is bugging the sh!t out of me!...Probably redo it this week..Its really a simple weave that takes no time.
Old 04-09-12, 03:42 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Spent Saturday afternoon with my Dad getting my DSI unit and arm set up and mounted on the Ride.Took a couple of hours and several small mods but got it done!..He came up with some sweet little attachment plates for the transducer while I worked on the battery box..Couldnt wait to try it out so I went out Easter morning to Paddle Point to start tweaking it and do a little fishing...And to also adjust the anchor trolley.

Everything worked better than expected...(Although I need to work on a better anchor deployment system) After awhile I paddle straight across from the launch to the back corner by some RR tracks..Stood up and started pitching my Pitboss into the shallow rocks...Third cast got my first fish into the boat!!...Followed by my 2nd shortly after.

After some more tweaking on the FF the thunder came in,and I packed up and called it a day...

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 04-09-12 at 03:48 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 06:09 PM   #5
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Now, you got to get a go pro(or contour), and figure out the mount, so you can give us some c to c video...nice fishing machine.( how do you like that lowrance DSI unit?)
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 08:27 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Great pics and I wouldn't mind reading a critique on the Lowrance as well.
Regarding pic #1.........too bad you have elected to fish with such short rods........
Old 04-10-12, 07:51 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Looking great Walker!

BB
Old 04-10-12, 09:43 AM   #8
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great looking setup!

I like how the yak has those rails along the sides for mounting stuff, so you don't have to drill a bunch of holes. The older model Rides didn't have that, and I've just about turned mine into swiss cheese.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 11:05 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

Thanks guys!..Let me get a little more time on the water with the unit and Ill do my best write up on it...I will say for $199 for a DSI unit is pretty unbeatable right now!
Compared to like a PiranhaMax 180 or similar...Its quit a bit of unit for the price after all the reading and searching I did,and seems very easy to navigate and tweak..But Im still learning it...Its also my first FF so my knowledge may not be the best to follow.

Yea Bryan the slide trax are a great feature! So far the only hole is the FF wiring.
A few more will be made for other things,but not many for sure.
Yak attack has the gear tracks you can add but man they get pricey!

http://www.yakattack.us/
Old 04-10-12, 01:49 PM   #10
lilmule

Great looking knots,been thinking about a small yak a 1 man job for places like this.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 04:00 PM   #11
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great build. Thanks for sharing! Is it me, or is there getting to be more kayak fishing threads around this place?
Old 04-10-12, 06:18 PM   #12
keithdog

Thats looking awsome man! Looking foreward to your report on the FF. I can see where a fisherman could easily get hooked on fishing from a yak. What about your anti goose attack gear???
Old 04-11-12, 09:00 AM   #13
joedog

Wow!
What a great looking fishing machine.
If I ever get a yak, I'm having it sent to your place and I'll drive down and pick it up after you get done customizing it for me.
Wow you really got some artistry in your blood.
Old 04-11-12, 12:53 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Thanks guys...As you can telling I got make a better set up for my anchor and anchor line.I had to untangle it after taking that pic..I have an idea use PVC that Im gonna work on this week.

Keith,...No geese to worry about yet..But if they come near I keep a picture of Bama in here to scare em off
Old 04-11-12, 04:59 PM   #15
Dogmatic

I made a crank and reel out of PVC in conjuction with a "lock-and-release" pulley that I picked up at the hardware store(under $10), that I mounted under my seat on my toon, might be able to adapt for the yak. I just got tired of dealing with all the line and tangles.

..."Anti-Goose Attack"=Paddle
Old 04-11-12, 05:30 PM   #16
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
I made a crank and reel out of PVC in conjuction with a "lock-and-release" pulley that I picked up at the hardware store(under $10), that I mounted under my seat on my toon, might be able to adapt for the yak. I just got tired of dealing with all the line and tangles.

..."Anti-Goose Attack"=Paddle
Yea Im probably gonna rig some kind of crank for now...Plus a holster for the anchor.

But Im also thinking about getting this 26' big dog retractable leash
http://www.amazon.com/Flexi-Large-Re.../dp/B0002APY0Y
Old 04-11-12, 09:42 PM   #17
lilmule

Ok I wanna know how you keep the cottonmouths from wanting a resting spot,and dont say it dont happen difference is mostly rattlers bathing down your way,fellow yaker and another texican.I wouldnt do with it what he did as they can muscle react even dead.

I have to shoo them off every now an then small ones 2-3 ft like to climb in the spashwell,so other than self defence with a paddle what?That is how that one met its end.
Its a nice read on the mods keep it up.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 10:31 PM   #18
WTL

Instead of a crank, I use a large retractible dog leash. Works perfectly.
Old 04-12-12, 10:10 AM   #19
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Ok I wanna know how you keep the cottonmouths from wanting a resting spot,and dont say it dont happen difference is mostly rattlers bathing down your way,fellow yaker and another texican.I wouldnt do with it what he did as they can muscle react even dead.

I have to shoo them off every now an then small ones 2-3 ft like to climb in the spashwell,so other than self defence with a paddle what?That is how that one met its end.
Its a nice read on the mods keep it up.
Thanks!...haha,Yea thats Shane Davies..I met him last summer at a kayak gtg on Grapevine Lake...Very cool laid back dude..He runs a kayak guided trip on the Brazos for bass/smallies.

I did have a banded watersnake swim by which is what I mostly see...Cottonmouths I rarely see..But I always keep watch..I dont have a snake defense yet but I saw a long time ago a short, survival type paddle thats like part machete or something?lol
Old 04-12-12, 11:14 AM   #20
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Instead of a crank, I use a large retractible dog leash. Works perfectly.
Now thats thinking! Might lighten the load too...but I would need much more than 26' of "cord".

SNAKES! Get a pet mongoose(that knows how to swim)!

Last edited by Dogmatic; 04-12-12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 11:58 AM   #21
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I did have a banded watersnake swim by which is what I mostly see...Cottonmouths I rarely see..But I always keep watch..I dont have a snake defense yet but I saw a long time ago a short, survival type paddle thats like part machete or something?lol
I've seen some scabbards for machetes that strap to your back. With that and a snakeskin Outback-style hat, you'd make Crocodile Dundee jealous.
Old 04-12-12, 12:58 PM   #22
bassboogieman

This is my repelling tool. It will handle snakes with or without legs and every varmit in between. Takes up very little room and works just fine.

Old 04-24-12, 11:05 PM   #23
WaffleJaw

Moving on....
Well I finally got to the handle end....Took me awhile to figure out something semi simple and movable with the seat...Im still wanna add some cushion but here's what I came up with.

I went back to my green fabreware cutting board and after some quick measurement ,cut out an ''L'' shape which you can see the pencil outline here

Using a vice,heat gun and hammer..I folded the short arm down and tried my best to curl a ''J'' to catch the hanlde....Harder than I thought!

After more heating and sanding to clean it up...I started to drill out and the holes and mount the hardware...A small bungee I took apart and retied, a small SS bolt and nut mounting a aluminum spacer to catch the bungee.

Now the idea of this was to mount this directly to the seat...I took out the original strap bolt,found a longer one that I spaced with a washer and locking washer.....And bolted the handle holder directly to the seat!!

I think this is gonna work very nicely!...And Im glad to have the rod holder slide me for when I change positions.

After Lake Fork...I had to figure out a better way to store my anchor and a better system for the line.

The original reason I wanted to add those feeder scoops to the side was to holster the anchor...It works,but I wanted to center the weight better and store the line in the scoop.
My Dad actually had the brilliant idea to wrap the anchor line around around an extra buoy he had which fits perfect!

So for the anchor...I cut and painted a piece of 3'' PVC and zip tied it to the inside of the crate....Makes for a great holder,and hopefully now I can keep my anchor system nice organized.Well test it out soon.

So I went to Cabelas and bought a 2nd hawg trough ruler (another $20) to replace the one I lost....Im working on a floatation device but Ill finish that tomorrow.

However I did find that I can bungee it right behind the seat and slide it right out....Now I need to work on sliding it back into place...And also finding more green bungee!

Almost there

Old 04-25-12, 08:55 AM   #24
bassboogieman

I'm beginning to think you are a '70's type of dude...................... with your apparent infatuation with LIME GREEN. Now if you add some orange shag carpet. Nice job, pal but a lot of work. You really enjoy the "fabrication" part of the experience, that much is obvious!
Old 04-25-12, 10:30 AM   #25
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I'm beginning to think you are a '70's type of dude...................... with your apparent infatuation with LIME GREEN. Now if you add some orange shag carpet. Nice job, pal but a lot of work. You really enjoy the "fabrication" part of the experience, that much is obvious!

C'mon Bruce,you know that lime green is hawt!

Plus other than white...I could not think of any other color to go with the camo yak......

Now I just need to find lime green bungee

The fabrication work hasnt been too tough...Molding the holder was the hardest part so far and that took maybe an hour total time.

I forgot to picture it,But we made some little tabs to go into the bottom of those scoop handles...Drilled a hole through the bottom of them for the tabs to come out....So when you put the scoop handle in the PVC you can go underneath and bungee them to the crate.....So you cant knock them out.

Still got some securing to do...But yea man,Im having too much fun rigging this thing...Still a lot of ideas brewing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.