Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-12, 01:19 AM   #1
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing Lure Sizes...etc...

Newbie question....How do i know what size oz lures to get? Hardbaits, platic baits, spinner baits, etc...I love the line guide thanks kevin! How about an oz buying guide. Is lure size determined by the rod your using, or by the type of fish ur trying to catch?
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 01:28 AM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

All rods have suggested lure weights on them. Too light or too heavy and you realize pretty quickly in lost casting accuracy and feel. The rods also list suggested line weights they are there for a reason. I always follow those. If I am fishing where big fish are available I like using bigger lures to increase the possibility of bigger fish plus the hooks are bigger & stronger usually. Then pond fishing I use mostly 3/8 to 1/2 oz lures. I like 5/8 on topwater baits.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 02:11 AM   #3
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks I have a field and stream 7ft medim action rod i believe the lure weight is 3/8 to 1/2 oz lure and 2lb-14 lb line, the reel is spinning reel field and stream 8lb-12lb test.....right now i am using Berkley mono XL smooth casting 10lb line, so i should be using more then an 1/2 oz lure and no more then a 12lb test? Open for suggestions...
Old 04-19-12, 02:13 AM   #4
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

The reel is 7 bearing reel
Old 04-19-12, 06:39 AM   #5
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mac Until matching rod/reel/line/lure with conditions/goals/target fish becomes second nature to you I'd suggest matching everything up to the rod and reel's stated specs. If a reel says it's designed for 6-8-10 line use 8. If a rod says 10-17 use 12-14 etc.

As time goes by...while you're fishing or even in the backyard try experimenting with different set-ups so you'll know why these guidelines make sense. Put 20lb mono on a 500 class spinning reel and 4'6" UL rod then tie on 3/4 oz jig and then notice what happens. After that spool 4lb Trilene on a Revo Wench and 7' XH flipping stick and throw a #5 original floating Rapala and take notes. Obviously those are extremes but you get the idea....have fun while you're at it and it will all start to fall in place soon enough
Old 04-19-12, 08:34 AM   #6
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the input! With all that being said should I use straight 10lb fluorocarbon line or use braid 40lb line with fluro leader, this is my only rod/reel so I want something that i can use the most variations of lures possible. If i went with the braid and fluro leader what lb test fluro would you recommend getting for leaders? Thanks again for input guys!
Old 04-19-12, 09:25 PM   #7
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Lovin View Post
Thanks for the input! With all that being said should I use straight 10lb fluorocarbon line or use braid 40lb line with fluro leader, this is my only rod/reel so I want something that i can use the most variations of lures possible. If i went with the braid and fluro leader what lb test fluro would you recommend getting for leaders? Thanks again for input guys!
Mac if I only had one combo and it was spooled with braid.......I might just stay home and watch Frazier reruns. But hey that's just me....12 mono would get my vote.
Old 04-19-12, 09:36 PM   #8
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Well i havent bought anything yet I was just going by the line guide because i like spinner baits but going with braid pretty much limits me to only buzz baits, hard bodied topwaters, and frogs. I am considering flourocarb 10lb being that me reel only calls for 8-12lb i have heard its best to select the middle number of 10lb
Old 04-19-12, 10:03 PM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Jigs (when casting them) - as Light as you can get away with, usally 1/4 - 3/8 oz is what's used most. The shallower or colder water the lighter, the deeper and warmer, the heavier. Heavier weights can be used in windier conditions to maintain feel however.

Worms (texas rig) - 1/8 - 3/16 is what I use most often. Same guidelines apply as with jigs.

Spinnerbaits - 1/4 - 1/2 is what I use the most. Windier and murkier = heavier. Clearer and calmer = lighter. I also like to use a smaller spinnerbait earlier in the year because the forage is usually smaller, in the fall when the bait is bigger, the heavier is the one I'll opt toward.

cranks and top water - Buy these based upon length rather than weight, same for crankbaits (IMO)

Finesse (Shaky head, drop shot, etc.) - Lightest you can get away with, 1/16 - 1/8 is what I use most, with 1/8 probably being use the most.

Carolina rig - I personally fish these in shallower water than most, but 1/4 is the norm for me. As long as I'm keeping contract with the bottom I'm happy! I don't need to have a big ol 1oz weight because I rarely fish in water over 10 feet. But when it's windy, I'll tie on a 3/8 oz weight if I can't feel the bottom well.

Swim jigs - 1/4oz is what I use! Listen to the other guys about these though, they're far more experienced with these than I!

One thing to keep in mind is the equipment you're using like Ken pointed out, but as a general rule, use baitcaster when ever possible, and use a spinning reel when you need to use lighter baits!
Old 04-19-12, 10:35 PM   #10
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome! Thanks for that guide! @bassboss What line would you recommend? Flouro, mono, or braid. Pretty much all the water here in NC is colored where i fish is very rocky/wooden bottom. I was using Berkeley 10lb XL casting and was getting like breaks from the bottom over and over but im thinking could be caused by the Drop shot sinker I am using they dont carry Tunksten Tear Drop sinkers down here anywhere local.
Old 04-19-12, 10:42 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Lovin View Post
Awesome! Thanks for that guide! @bassboss What line would you recommend? Flouro, mono, or braid. Pretty much all the water here in NC is colored where i fish is very rocky/wooden bottom. I was using Berkeley 10lb XL casting and was getting like breaks from the bottom over and over but im thinking could be caused by the Drop shot sinker I am using they dont carry Tunksten Tear Drop sinkers down here anywhere local.
I'd recommend a good quality mono/copolymer such as 12lb P-line CXX, or Sun Line Super Natural for you baitcaster (are you using one?). It won't be great for everything, but it will be good for most things. And for spinning, I've really grown fond of braid, although I haven't used fluorocarbon much on one, that would be my 2nd option. 6 - 8lb test is optimal for anything requiring a spinning rod and reel. 20lb for the braid!
Old 04-19-12, 11:16 PM   #12
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'd recommend a good quality mono/copolymer such as 12lb P-line CXX, or Sun Line Super Natural for you baitcaster (are you using one?). It won't be great for everything, but it will be good for most things. And for spinning, I've really grown fond of braid, although I haven't used fluorocarbon much on one, that would be my 2nd option. 6 - 8lb test is optimal for anything requiring a spinning rod and reel. 20lb for the braid!
I only use spinning reels, ive only used a bait caster a couple times and got frustrated with it wouldnt cast right, tangles easy and most of time line hits water and reel keeps spinning off probably just didnt know what i was doing lol... So with an 8lb-12lb reel you would still go with 20lb braid? And also from the guide you gave me are u using straight braid or tying leaders to those?
Old 04-20-12, 07:00 AM   #13
keithdog

Mac, I have only one spinning outfit, and I choose to use braid. Personally, with Flouro being a stiffer line, I don't care for how it casts on spinning gear. Mono twists a lot for me on spinning gear. However, with braid, those issues are history. But I am using only 20 pound braid which has a VERY thin diameter. It's sufficiantly strong yet thin enough to use with even lightweight lures easily. And I don't use any leader with 20 pound braid as it's so thin, I don't believe visability under water to the fish is an issue. Especially if your fishing off colored water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.