Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-28-12, 09:26 AM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Anyone use waders??

Got a coupon from dicks sporting goods and always wanted to get chest wading boots. Anyone use them? Any advice on materials? What's more comfortable neoprene, vinyl, sewn on boots vs socks type? Brands? And sizing is confusing to me. Are supposed to get them extra bigger so u use a sneaker inside the boots or just use wear sox and the boots it comes in? This would be my first time wading though I've done it bare foot and shorts of course
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 10:32 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a couple pair, but not for wade fishing, I wear them when kayaking. Neoprene chest waders are hot, I have a pair and fiind them uncomfortable in anything other than cold temps (air or water when on the kayak). I also have a pair of waist high waders that are of a breathable material. These are much more comfortable, agian when on the kayak. Waders with incorporated boots are nice for wading streams, but they are heavier, so for my purposes I have sock style, and wear a pair of crocs. If you choose chest waders - be sure to get a belt, if you fall in they will fill with water if they are not a fairly tight fit. Neoprene tend to fit snug, so the issue isn't as critical. Chest waders are more difficult to remove if you fall in and need to get out of them in a hurry. Chest high waders may lead you to try deeper water, which may be hazzardous to your health. Waist high will keep you in water shallower than hips, so you won't be tempted to go too deep.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 11:29 AM   #3
OkobojiEagle

Stocking footed breathable... sized slightly larger to accommodate layering underneath for warmth when needed. Purchase the wading boots at the same time and don't buy unless you try them on together... buy the wading boots plenty roomy to accommodate both the wader's stocking and a couple of pairs of warm socks.

Chest waders provide a convenient place to store a plastic Plano box or landing net while wading. You can roll the top down to your waist if it becomes too warm. As mentioned above, wear them with a snug belt (and PFD if the situation warrants it).

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 01:01 PM   #4
Dave63

This ^^^^ is good advice.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 01:51 PM   #5
boloson

Thanks guys. Will probably stay away from the neoprene since I'll be using it mainly in the summer. Nice little reservoir I go to that has lots of sandbars surrounding Lilly pads that I can't teach by shore so wading or a boat is my only option.
Old 04-29-12, 04:15 PM   #6
joedog

I use and wade frequently.
Neoprenes are the best fit and if you fish moving water are ok year round and not bad while 'in' the water. Breathable are best for warmer areas. But remember, breathables also don't retain heat...very well, so if your planning early spring or late fall outings you may need to bundle up under waders. Another thing to consider is, will you only have them on when in water or put them on once and keep them on all day, again neoprene won't let out the heat.
Bootfeet are a must if your going to step or walk on anything that your foot will sink deeper than a sneaker top. There are gravel gaurds and such for stocking foot but they really don't do a great job with sand and muck plus the shoes will pull off if your in muck or even deep sand.
Size...usually go strickly by shoe or foot size. Most brands have a site that also tells inseam and such. But unless you have some larger feet and smaller frame, the fits are usually pretty good. Bootfeet, wear socks, be sure to get them so they will cover your calf or at least as high as the top of the boot. Heavy socks are easy to find but thinner are much, much better for your use. Tops of boots will chaf the calfs sometimes with newbies because that part of your body usually see's little wear and tear conditions. Boot size, you can step up size from your norm but if you don't have a snug shoe fit everytime you pull your foot out of the bottom your foot WILL want to pull out of the boot due to once you step in bottom it actually creates a vacum holding the boot...sometimes very tightly.

Next, call Dick's and see what brands they carry and models...ya they got different models or item numbers anyway. Google the wader and check out what people say. Waders are one area where unless your using them daily, all day, highest price doesn't equate to better. My opinion only. But extreme low price will definitly make you unhappy. They will develope leaks really soon if not first time using. You can try on waders also and I highly recomend it! You probably don't buy shoes before trying them on, trust me, if fit is important to you, TRY THEM ON FIRST.
If you go neoprene go 3mm or less thickness.

Storage, the most important and most frequently neglected wader topic. Get a wader hanger to keep them on when not in use, even neoprene!!!! This alone will increase longevity and decrease leaks!
These are only my opinions but give you an idea of what to consider, hope it helps.
Old 04-29-12, 10:22 PM   #7
boloson

thanks joe. i ended up buying from dicks & the brand is proline. not sure how good this brand is but i tried it and liked it. good reviews and cheap. it fit great & the sales guy knew what he was talking about. he also got into the cleaning part of wading and just told me to hose it down after every outing. i'll look into the wader hanger since these things arent the lightest things. any specific place sells these hangers? not worried about the cold since i'll mainly use it in the summer though knowing me i'll probably fish from early spring to late fall. looking forward to trying these on my next days off and upgrading my reel's drag & bearings. thanks guys
Old 04-29-12, 11:06 PM   #8
joedog

Dicks, I think.
There all over. Any hunting shop has them. most outdoor shops do also.
Proline's good and you made a good choice. Said were heavy so I know you got bootfeet.
You'll love wading!
Really helps to enable to fish along the shoreline as well as different angles at spots you've fished already.
Have fun and keep us informed.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.