Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-14-14, 08:01 PM   #76
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zookerfest will be fine.
Old 03-14-14, 08:02 PM   #77
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Cool.

Can't wait!!!!!!
Old 03-20-14, 04:28 PM   #78
woody

Here is the latest Dale Hollow fishing report, posted by Keith Palmiero.

As I am sure most know by now, the bite is on fire! The lake is fishing better right now than it has in two years. There is a fantastic mixed bag of fish to be caught right now. I have never in over 20 plus years on the lake seen a largemouth bite like there is right now. I think is fantastic to but a bait up on a hump and not know what your going to come back with. Makes it a lot of fun.
I caught I don't know how many smallmouth yesterday, but I know it was 20 plus. No giant fish, but anyone who doesn't like going out and catching over 20 smallmouth in the 2 to 4# range on the most beautiful lake in TN needs to take up Golf!!! lol
Water temps on the lower are in the 45 degree range on the main lake and 47 in the backs of the creeks. The upper is in the 47 range on the main with 49 in the creeks. The backs of the creeks on the lower and even some parts of the main in the upper has some good color. Some of this is due to algae blooms that are starting already. Don't be scared of this colored water. Algae blooms mean rebirth of phyto/zoo plankton, the number one food of baitfish. Just change up what you throw in the colored water. Main lake on the lower is gin clear.
This year, as in any year of a sever winter, time is of the essence. Another words here we are in late March and water temps are still in the 40s. The days are longer and the fish are fat and itching to spawn. What I am saying is the fish are not going to wait on typical water temps to get things done this year. Typically the bite we are experiencing right now doesn't happen till the 50s but that's just not going to be the case this year. This is why the fish are feeding VERY shallow right now. Its the warmest water they can find. The same thing will happen around the spawn. They will spawn much shallower then we are used to due to the colder water temps. Also, this will make the pocket/back of the creeks bite stronger. I have been catching a lot of fish in the pockets like we used to when we had winters this year. Very shallow. Look for a good spawn in these areas instead of more on the main lake like the past few years. This concentrates the fish more and makes them more predictable. This, and causing the fish to feed shallow is why I love spring fishing after a sever winter. Also, everything happens slow instead of all at once. I am willing to bet you this is only the first push. There is another one coming behind this one. You will see more smallmouth in the second than the first. The largemouth and spots ALWAYS move up first on Dale Hollow. Not sure why, but they do.
They two baits of choice for me right now have been the Jerkbiat and the Swimbait. Its been simple for me. The jerkbait in the clear water and the Swimbait in the stained water. I prefer lucky craft jerkbaits and Big Hammer Swimbaits. www.swimbait.com.
This is the time of year that I love the wind. I personally don't thing you can have to much, unless it just gets dangerous out there, but I have rarely seen that on Dale Hollow. The wind blows all the plankton around and against the bank and gets the baitfish moving. It also creates current around points and into pockets and cuts which gives the fish ambush points. It will also create my favorite, mudlines on the clay banks. Always fish the mudlines.
Great time to be on the Hollow right now! Good luck to all and hope to see you on the water!! Please be safe out there!!

Keith Palmiero
SmallyChasers Guide Service
USCG Certified
www.smalljaw.com
270-925-8924
Horse Creek Resort
Big Hammer Swimbiats
Punisher Lures
All Pro Rods
Steelshad.com
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 08:33 PM   #79
MallenManson

Thanks Woody!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-14, 10:48 AM   #80
nofearengineer

Three weeks, my friends. That's all there is left to wait.
Old 04-02-14, 11:50 AM   #81
woody

I'm really looking forward to it!

So far what I'm been hearing is that Dale is on fire, with many healthy 19 to 20 inch and some 21+ Smalljaws being taken on Swimbaits and Jerkbaits. It sounds like it's still to early for the topwater bite. I have also heard that the A-rig with three 3 inch swimbaits has been catching fish.

-Mark
Old 04-03-14, 09:14 AM   #82
woody

i'm also hearing reports of many large Black Crappie being caught way up lake back in the creeks that have willows, on crappie jigs and minnows.

-Mark
Old 04-07-14, 06:34 PM   #83
woody

I went ahead and posted a link to Dale Hollow's lake level. The lakes normal pool is 651.

http://www.tva.gov/lakes/dhh_r.htm

-Mark
Old 04-07-14, 06:41 PM   #84
nobass

Just. Checked wheather. Ceilna all week sunny 70 2. 72. A shower on. Sat. 66u
Old 04-07-14, 07:29 PM   #85
woody

I like the looks of that forecast. I just hope it doesn't change that much by then. Next week's forecast shows a daily chance of rain, nearly 1 and 1/2 inches for that entire week, which shouldn't effect us all that much. It might even help us, hafta wait and see. So far it looks like luck was on our side, in choosing a date.

-Mark
Old 04-07-14, 08:09 PM   #86
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
Just. Checked wheather. Ceilna all week sunny 70 2. 72. A shower on. Sat. 66u
My kind of weather!!!!!!!

Sunny and 75........
Old 04-08-14, 01:42 PM   #87
woody

I'm just hoping that we can stay ahead of what appears to be a late week cold front. Keeping my fingers crossed!

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 04-09-14 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-08-14, 05:50 PM   #88
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I'm just hoping that we can stay on the ahead of what appears to be a late week cold front. Keeping my fingers crossed!

-Mark
Yeah...coming in after a cold front at Dale Hollow can be ROUGH.
Old 04-09-14, 11:51 AM   #89
woody

Here's the long range forecast for Celina TN.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cel...weather/335623

-Mark
Old 04-10-14, 03:59 PM   #90
nofearengineer

I know I probably feel this way every year....but this year, I really, really need this vacation. I am so burned out and stressed out...only the tug of a brown fish will cure it.
Old 04-11-14, 11:58 AM   #91
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I know I probably feel this way every year....but this year, I really, really need this vacation. I am so burned out and stressed out...only the tug of a brown fish will cure it.
I know you don't throw the 3 inch Bighammer swimbaits that much, but from what I am hearing, it's the Smalljawer's go to bait.

I hope you get that brown fish tug of a lifetime!

-Mark
Old 04-11-14, 12:33 PM   #92
nofearengineer

Quote:
I know you don't throw the 3 inch Bighammer swimbaits that much, but from what I am hearing, it's the Smalljawer's go to bait.

I hope you get that brown fish tug of a lifetime!

-Mark
I don't have any BigHammers, but I've got other swimbaits like it.

My problem is, I've already caught a 6lb Smallie...how do I top it? (or even equal it?)

I want a 7 or 8 lber!
Old 04-11-14, 01:43 PM   #93
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I don't have any BigHammers, but I've got other swimbaits like it.

My problem is, I've already caught a 6lb Smallie...how do I top it? (or even equal it?)

I want a 7 or 8 lber!
Well, this is the time of year to catch Big Momma!

I appologize for changing the subject, but have you guys seen the latest weather forcast... it's trending in our favor, boys.

-Mark
Old 04-11-14, 02:08 PM   #94
nofearengineer

Quote:

I appologize for changing the subject, but have you guys seen the latest weather forcast... it's trending in our favor, boys.

-Mark
Still too far out for me to get my hopes up, but I'm crossing my fingers!
Old 04-11-14, 05:36 PM   #95
MallenManson

Quote:

-Mark
Checked it out this morning.

Love it!!!!
Old 04-11-14, 06:47 PM   #96
woody

Here's the latest Dale reported, written by Keith Palmiero.

Spring is finally here after this long cold winter. The dogwoods are blooming as well as the redbuds. Its time for everything to wake up!! Its by far my favorite time of year to be on the water. One thing we need at this point is to get these cold nights out of here. I don't care if the daytime temps are in the 70s or not, if it gets into the 30s at night, we loose all we gain during the day. I am looking for lows in the mid 50s and highs in the mid 70s to really fire things off.
Dale Hollow conditions right now are pretty typical for the weather we have been having. Lots of rain! The main lake on the lower is clear, with the pockets off the main lake and in the creeks stained to muddy. Same goes for the back of the creeks. Mid lake up the main lake is stained with the pockets to the backs of the creeks stained to muddy. Water temps on the lower are around 54 degrees at first light ending the day at around 58. The middle to upper portions of the lake are in the 53 degree range at first light ending the day in the 57 to 58 degree range. I have seen some 57 to 60 degree water in the backs of the creeks and way up the rivers.
The largemouth bite has started to taper off a little bit from my last report. They have moved off a lot off the main lake grass beds and humps and are staged up in the creeks. I have caught some great fish all the way in the backs of the creeks in the muddy water on Big Hammer Swimbaits www.swimbait.com as well as crankbaits. These fish are very shallow, and full of eggs. I look for these fish to bed up and spawn with this next full moon.
As for the smallmouth, not even close. They are really just starting to move up good. The big fat females are not ready to spawn yet. The water temps have just been to cold and they have just remained to deep to long for the gestation period to take place. I don't look for these fish to spawn till the next New moon and take my word for it when I tell you, you will catch fish with bloody tails from these fish on the full moon in May. I have seen it to many times on a severe winter. My best bite for these fish right now has been main lake point leading to the creeks and pockets in the creeks. These fish are not on their typical areas for this time of year. They are still very much in pre spawn mode. They are staged up on the steep rocky banks leading to spawning areas. They have not moved up on the flats and spawning banks good yet at all. They still will not let go of that deeper water. There are a few males in the spawning areas but no bigger fish. My baits of choice have been the crank bait, Big Hammer Swimbait www.swimbait.com and jerkbait. I have also caught some fish on the jig which really tells me that pre spawn mode is still in full swing. All the fish are not looking up yet. When they go in to feed heavy for the spawn, the jig bite will completely die. That's when the fish tend to consistently look up.
The Walleye and Crappie are moving up well also. I have caught both while bass fishing the past couple weeks and man were they tasty!
I am looking for an amazing post spawn bite this May and June. I cant wait! More to come on that in my next report.
All baits, lake maps and anything else you need can be found at Dale Hollow One Stop in Celina www.punisherlures.com
I fish all baits for all species of fish on All Pro Rods www.allprorods.com and Okuma Reels. Please check out their line!!
Fishing out of the best fishing resort on Dale Hollow, Horse Creek Resort. www.horsecreek-resort.com
Please be safe out there and tight lines!

Keith Palmiero
USCG Certified
www.smalljaw.com
270-925-8924
Horse Creek Resort
Big Hammer Swimbiats
Punisher Lures
All Pro Rods
Steelshad.com
Old 04-11-14, 07:00 PM   #97
MallenManson

Quote:
Here's the latest Dale reported, written by Keith Palmiero.

Spring is finally here after this long cold winter. The dogwoods are blooming as well as the redbuds. Its time for everything to wake up!! Its by far my favorite time of year to be on the water. One thing we need at this point is to get these cold nights out of here. I don't care if the daytime temps are in the 70s or not, if it gets into the 30s at night, we loose all we gain during the day. I am looking for lows in the mid 50s and highs in the mid 70s to really fire things off.
Dale Hollow conditions right now are pretty typical for the weather we have been having. Lots of rain! The main lake on the lower is clear, with the pockets off the main lake and in the creeks stained to muddy. Same goes for the back of the creeks. Mid lake up the main lake is stained with the pockets to the backs of the creeks stained to muddy. Water temps on the lower are around 54 degrees at first light ending the day at around 58. The middle to upper portions of the lake are in the 53 degree range at first light ending the day in the 57 to 58 degree range. I have seen some 57 to 60 degree water in the backs of the creeks and way up the rivers.
The largemouth bite has started to taper off a little bit from my last report. They have moved off a lot off the main lake grass beds and humps and are staged up in the creeks. I have caught some great fish all the way in the backs of the creeks in the muddy water on Big Hammer Swimbaits www.swimbait.com as well as crankbaits. These fish are very shallow, and full of eggs. I look for these fish to bed up and spawn with this next full moon.
As for the smallmouth, not even close. They are really just starting to move up good. The big fat females are not ready to spawn yet. The water temps have just been to cold and they have just remained to deep to long for the gestation period to take place. I don't look for these fish to spawn till the next New moon and take my word for it when I tell you, you will catch fish with bloody tails from these fish on the full moon in May. I have seen it to many times on a severe winter. My best bite for these fish right now has been main lake point leading to the creeks and pockets in the creeks. These fish are not on their typical areas for this time of year. They are still very much in pre spawn mode. They are staged up on the steep rocky banks leading to spawning areas. They have not moved up on the flats and spawning banks good yet at all. They still will not let go of that deeper water. There are a few males in the spawning areas but no bigger fish. My baits of choice have been the crank bait, Big Hammer Swimbait www.swimbait.com and jerkbait. I have also caught some fish on the jig which really tells me that pre spawn mode is still in full swing. All the fish are not looking up yet. When they go in to feed heavy for the spawn, the jig bite will completely die. That's when the fish tend to consistently look up.
The Walleye and Crappie are moving up well also. I have caught both while bass fishing the past couple weeks and man were they tasty!
I am looking for an amazing post spawn bite this May and June. I cant wait! More to come on that in my next report.
All baits, lake maps and anything else you need can be found at Dale Hollow One Stop in Celina www.punisherlures.com
I fish all baits for all species of fish on All Pro Rods www.allprorods.com and Okuma Reels. Please check out their line!!
Fishing out of the best fishing resort on Dale Hollow, Horse Creek Resort. www.horsecreek-resort.com
Please be safe out there and tight lines!

Keith Palmiero
USCG Certified
www.smalljaw.com
270-925-8924
Horse Creek Resort
Big Hammer Swimbiats
Punisher Lures
All Pro Rods
Steelshad.com
Hmmm.....
Seems like someone told me about these a week or so ago
Old 04-12-14, 04:04 PM   #98
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Hmmm.....
Seems like someone told me about these a week or so ago
Well lookie there... someone was listening.

-Mark
Old 04-12-14, 07:18 PM   #99
nobass

well bryce the bait shop on way in AS A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT BAITMONKEY TOLD ME:
Old 04-13-14, 09:38 AM   #100
MallenManson

Quote:
Well lookie there... someone was listening.

-Mark
Ordered 5 different colors, even

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.