Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 04-18-12, 08:53 PM   #1
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Roanoke Rapids Lake and River

Just relocated near the area. Also new to freshwater fishing, Have been going to the lake off 5th st and the river just as you get into Gaston just under the bridge, I am a boatless angler which limits a lot of my fishing the great lake and river have to offer. So far I have tried white buzz bait, green tiger rattler, and 5 inch gulp green pumpkin worms at both the river and lake without even a bite. I drop shot just like the DYNAMITE shows in his videos and at the lake I just get snag after snag drop shotting. Today was really windy and i dropped shotted and snagged a turtle had to be atleast 10-15 lb i dragged him in all the way unto shore before we snapped my line and i was using a 10lb test with an 8 bearing reel. I know there has to be someone on here that was fished this lake and river that could give me some advice on what is used to catch bass from shore in this lake and river, seems to me with the extemly rocky bottom drop shotting or bottom bouncing is not an option. Not sure what to buy or use like I said I am new to freshwater fishing.
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 01:22 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lake is a challenge to fish. The water level changes daily to control Gastons level. You have humps out on the main lake that are grass covered and the grass will grow up 8-10' in the summer. Topwater is the best way to go with the lake in the summer time. I like the feeder creek on the south side with the old bridge. Nice area to fish. Plenty of perch on this lake too. Watch out for the stumps if you ever take a boat out on the lake. They'll ruin your day!!!!

Oh by the way there are some huge bass in that lake........
Old 04-21-12, 01:43 PM   #3
lilmule

Default uh wading or shore angling

Rocky bottom dont use things that hit bottom,topwater your buzzbait,horny toads they are a rubber frog with same action as a buzzbait,spinnerbaits crankbaits that dont hit bottom.Crankbaits try shallow runners,spinnerbaits keep it off the bottom,worms try a speed worm and reel it back,flukes work in sight,senkos unweighted with hook buried.Spoons work great (all species)keep them high up,anything you toss keep it up to where you dont lose them in the current,snags and or rocks.
Drop shoting is something one can better do from a boat.If you feel you must ,then place hook much higher will lose only the spit shot or weight.
Myself kinda like it around danville(think thats the name,just below Kerr) below the dam,easy access and other anglers to compare notes with.
Not every taped show you see is realistic they sometimes take several weeks to do a 1/2 hr show.

Last edited by lilmule; 04-21-12 at 01:49 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 12:58 PM   #4
3dkicker

Mac - Check out the small boat club that fishes on Roanoke Rapids. I've seen them weigh in and they know how to catch them on that lake. I also know that there's a good striper run in the spring time on the river and they should be up around the dam now with the herring and shad making their run.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.