The BassFishin.Com Fishing Line Guide

lowrider

BassFishin.Com Veteran Member
best photoshop ever, jb. you should add a Bassfishin.com reference in roland's quote though, he's worse than a nascar driver with the name dropping.

rrw4258

BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
very nice touch on the photoshop JB... and kevin i love the line guide on here... it actually cleared up a few questions for me. I also love the HD Pics and Videos... Keep it up.

Ryan

HarryT

BassFishin.Com Member
Line Test

I am new to fresh water fishing. I just purchased some rods and they specify 6 to 12 lb line. do I disregard this?

If fishing the Hudson for Stripped Bass is there a line type you recomend for fishing bunker chunks?

Kevin

Administrator
I am new to fresh water fishing. I just purchased some rods and they specify 6 to 12 lb line. do I disregard this?
Yea... I never even look at the line size recommendations on rods. They are there as general guidelines, dependent on the action of the rod. What is more important to look at is the action-rating. It will either say, Medium, Medium Heavy, Heavy, etc. Most likely, a 6-12 lb line recommendation is a Medium Rod. But just know you can use whatever line you like. :)

If fishing the Hudson for Stripped Bass is there a line type you recomend for fishing bunker chunks?
If you're fishing bunker chunks, then I'd use 20 lb fluorocarbon or monofilament. You can get away with as light as 14 lb though. 12 lb test would be risking it in my opinion.

And if the fish are big and the water has some color to it, you can certainly go to 25 lb test to get those big fish in no problem.

I fish a lot of fluorocarbon for rockfish (stripers) because it is much more abrasion-resistant and will take abuse from the fish's teeth better than mono because it's a harder (more dense) line. Fluoro excels with things like that... bluefish teeth, etc.

Hope this helps some!

bamabassman

BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
i have mixed emotions on flourcarbon after reading some posts here kevin. i saw where wally world is now stocking 100% flourcarbon. forget the brand though. is this a better flour?

Kevin

Administrator
i have mixed emotions on flourcarbon after reading some posts here kevin. i saw where wally world is now stocking 100% flourcarbon. forget the brand though. is this a better flour?
If you're refering to "Berkley Trilene's 100% Fluorocarbon", then I'll give you my honest opinion... it's sub par. I really like Bass Pro Shop's XPS Fluorocarbon. It's reliable and much more manageable than Trilene's 100% Fluorocarbon.

As to my opinion on fluorocarbon lines in general... I think fluorocarbon is the best thing since sliced bread. I throw fluorocarbon more than any other type of fishing line, and only use mono for baits where I need buoyancy, like topwaters and spinnerbaits, and any other "specialty" presentations that require a lot of stretch or bouyancy.

The first generations of fluorocarbons left a lot to be desired, but good fluoro's like BPS's XPS have come a long way, and if treated right, don't give you much problem.

Fluorocarbon gives you a lot of advantages over mono... less stretch, less visible to fish, more abraision-resistant, line sinks, lasts longer, doesn't weaken overnight, and more. I'll put up with a slightly less pliable line to gain these advantages.

bamabassman

ok, thanks kevin. and yes it is the berkly line. wally world just started to stock it.
haven't ever tried flour, but reading all the comments on here. i am willling to give it a go.
so as long as i "treat" it with the line conditioner, i should be fine, right?

HarryT

BassFishin.Com Member
Thanks for the imput

Thanks, Just started getting back into fishing and the amount of different equipment is mind boggling after the 20 year gap.
All of my past fishing has been salt water. I am looking to do some fresh water also. the line guide was pretty informative.

MallenManson

Way to go Kevin! Very informative guide!
After 9 years away from fishing, it was like waking up from a 9 year coma lol. I missed out on a lot!
The line guide really helped me out. For what I use, the 8# mono I already have along with some 10-12# fluoro and I should be good to go!

TnTom

BassFishin.Com Active Member
Excell Spread Sheet

Kevin,
Great piece. I have made an excel spreadsheet and a data base using your guide lines. I added columns for the rods, I use regularly (8). 4 BC, 4 Spn.

http://www.tackletour.com/menulines.html This site gives a review of many different lines mono,flour,braid helps narrow it down even more.

Tom

Last edited: