Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-07, 03:28 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Almost forgotten yet effective lures for bass

I went fishing with my wife's uncle and he outfished me (we weren't competing) 2.5 fish to 1. When I set up my drop shot rig and realized I missed a guide (arrrrgh!!), he had already nailed three decent bass with live earthworms (weightless) in the span it took me to set up the rig. It took me that long because the line slipped through all of the guides as I was watched him in awe!!! He nailed his first 15 bass this way and then when that bite slowed, he switched to a yellow rooster tail. How long has it been (if ever) since any of us tossed a rooster tail with the intent to catch a bass? Well, he proceeded to nail another 15 bass with that inline spinner.

It wasn’t that I was not catching bass. I was just catching them at a slower rate!!! I caught on after that and tied on a homemade inline spinner and started nailing them myself just as quickly and on the first cast to boot. Yee hah!!!!! Practically every cast was a hit and it inspired me to make more inline spinners when I got home.

I guess my point or what I realized is that sometimes we get caught up in the latest and greatest baits and we discount or forget the effectiveness and simplicity of some baits we probably started fishing with like night crawlers and inline spinners.

I will be sending these homemade inlines to a Iraq for our troops who go fishing there. I know it is not much but it is the least I think that I can do.

Inline spinners - Big bass class for sure and they should work on other species too.

This is one of my "Patriot" inline spinners. Red and blue bucktail on top of White feathers. May it find our troops some fish over there!

If I told you the number of bass he caught, no one here would believe me. And he did it all with two ugly sticks, one of which was an ultra-light, and two abu g spinning reels. It was the best fishing day ever in my life.

Thanks!

-ib

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.