Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-09, 12:40 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A year of firsts

Well, only a couple first but here goes. There are two lures that are tried and tested as proven winners when it comes to catching bass. The original full size Heddon Zara Spook and the Arbogast Jitterbug. Oddly in the 40 years I've been fishing primarily for bass, I had never caught a single bass on either lure despite many attempts over the years. Early this summer I decided to again try the Jitterbug out. I don't know why, but but for some reason I started catching bass like crazy on the Jitterbug. It's definately a morning and evening/night lure for me so far. But I bet 40% of my bass this year have come off the Jitterbug. This after 40 years of getting skunked with Jitterbugs. Go figure. So yeasterday, I dusted off the Zara Spooks I had put away for good a few years ago after also catching no fish on a spook ever! I thought, who knows, maybe it will happen with the spook as well. While it was still very dark, between 4AM and 6AM the Zara Spook caught nothing. The Jitterbug again was king, taking several bass in those two hours. Once the sun started to take over the day the Jitterbug bite slowed considerably. So I took off the Jitterbug and tied the Spook back on and began chucking it in water 12 foot deep with sumberged weeds that came near the surface. The water had a slight chop on it. I thought this must be ideal conditions for a spook. On the second cast I had a bass blow up on the spook and about shook my bones to the core. He missed the spook but got my attention fast. Before I went to my spinnerbaits, I landed my first three bass on the Zara Spook, all a nice chunky three pounds or so. I couldn't believe I had caught anything on that chrome/black back Spook. But the smile was ear to ear. Maybe this will rub off on my lipless cranksbaits as well. Ok, I've caught two bass on a Rattle trap type bait in my lifetime, but thats nothing to cause any faith in the lure. But what I hope to achieve with this post is to encourage any of you who have takin any bait you've thought was a good investment, and after years of no success, put the lure into the back of the drawer so to speak, to get it back out and give it a try. I have no idea why after all those years of casting a jitterbug and spook without any success they suddenly started producing. All I can say is I am glad I gave them another try. They are now another set of tools to use when I am back out on the water.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.