Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-10, 10:09 AM   #1
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tough guys paying it forward

Wow , what a hard 2010 for a lot of folks.Time for a tale of goodwill and people stepping up and paying it forward
I have been in a program of recovery for over 18 years now, and have stayed clean with the help of many. I had a great experience when i first got clean. as a group of older guys, took me fishing daily, in between meetings to keep me with them in a safe and learning enviorment
It was a big part of me getting my feet on the ground, so to honor them I started to give a rod and reel each year I stayed clean and took these new fellas out fishing.
A few more stayed clean and they started to do the same. We grew in numbers, formed a Clean Bass Club and then I was on another forum ,it was suggested I ask for donations. I did just that and we were able to take 12 guys a year out and it actually proved detrimental to what we were trying to accomplish, and in the end this was the wrong way to go as I had lost site of it's not about a pat on the back for me but to serve others. We became totally self sufficient and accepted no outside help, from then on.
We scaled way back, started to buy and test equipment until we found things we were able to afford and would be good for newcomers. The Club now has a name SERENITY BASSERS
, We have a giveaway camping trip, the Saturday before Bass Season Opens, and mainly try to help 6 fellas a yea, and it has become more successful this way. We were able to fish with them on a regular basis and helped them as we were helped, one on one!

Now for the TOUGH GUY PAYING IT FORWARD PART
This year saw someone close to me, in danger of loosing their house. I sold a lot of my equipment and then had to sell my boat. The boat was purchased, by a recipient of our club give away, and this guy has come from homelessness and jails to owning his own licensed business, a home and a new wife. Thats because of the program we all belong to, not the fishing club. Well The weekend of Thanksgiving he called me with the news he may be moving to Florida and he needed to return the boat to me, BUT FOR ME TO KEEP THE MONEY AND THE BOAT!
I explained I could not do this, he wasn't having any of it. He said he knew I was stubborn,and it was time for me to accept help from the fellas. So now my friend is somewhat safe with their house, I have the boat back, and have been overwhelmed with how much passing it forward actually works! I am grateful to this guy in particular and we are all busy now looking for stuff and the six guys we target for this year. So all of 2010 was not bad, and I am looking to the coming year with feelings of hope and gratitude
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.