Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-11, 11:30 PM   #1
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default cold water pond bassin'

A friend and I decided to brave the 30mph winds and rains today to try to get one last afternoon of fishing in at his uncle's ponds before they freeze up. Both of us were saying we'd be surprised if we catch anything on the way there but thankfully we were wrong I was fishing a new color Erratic shad while my friend was fishing a spinnerbait and redeye shad. I started catching dinks almost right away on my jerkbait and never really slowed down. There is 6 ponds all connected so were were just walking between all of them. My friend was telling me the south pond has the biggest fish so we made the short walk and I quickly caught a healthy 14 incher.

One of my first cast into the big, south pond I felt like my jerkbait was hanging on a branch. I leaned into it a little bit to try to pull the "branch" in when it started swimming slowly. I thought I'd hooked a monster bass when it streaked off and broke surface. After a 10 minute tug of war I managed to see the big grass carp I'd snagged in the fin. Right as it was getting tired and looking like I might actually land it she made a last lunge after a big branch and my hooks caught and pulled out. We each started walking opposite directions around the pond, fancasting and not catching much. Then I got a good "tick" on my jerkbait and set into a solid fish. After a pretty good fight I managed to get ahold of my biggest of the day. Didn't have a scale but I'm guessing around 19-20 inches and 4-4.5 pounds. Had to try to take my own picture so it didn't turn out great.

A couple minutes after I turned my fish loose my buddy hooked a good fish on the jerkbait I finally talked him into using since his spinnerbait and trap weren't doing it.

I ended with 19 and my friend got 3 and we each got a solid fish. Turned out to be a great day despite the weather and a great way to spend a few hours before work
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.