Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-12, 11:41 AM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Rods and Reels

I'm sure this horse has been beat repeatedly on here and I've done some searching, reading, researching and more researching.

Long of the short is I get extremely tired of switching lures all the time. I currently have two baitcaster set up:

7' Kistler M/H with a fast taper and Curado 200E7

7' BPS Tourny Special M/H with a fast taper and 7.1:1 ratio BPS reel

I'm comfortable with throwing just about anything on my curado, the BPS reel needs to be serviced (I believe the drag washer is shot and regardless what type of line I put on it it inevitibly birds nest every cast regardless of how much I adjust it). I love the rod and hate the reel.

I enjoy throwing my crankbaits so I need to slow it down and have been pondering a lower gear ratio Citica and I've been eyeballing Lew's baitcasters as well.

As well I have all the tackle needed to dropshot without the rod and reel so I know that is something I need to invest in as well. Rod and reel combo I haven't decided on.

Do you think that BPS tourny rod with a slower ratio reel (e.g. the Citica) will suffice for crankbaits? Or is there a different rod I should just go ahead and purchase? Eventually I'll upgrade the rod, for starters though?

Do you believe there is a spinning combo that is more versatile over others? I don't want to paint myself into a corner with only a couple of set ups. Eventually and as time and money allows I'll buy more and more towards bait specific combos (need/want a swimbait setup as well which I know will be pretty much a bait specific setup).

I believe 3 is a magic number right now as far as rod and reel setups; anyone recommend anything different? I have read numerous times that 5 ultimately seems to about the number of rods and reels to possess, but that seems to most tourny guys.

A lot of ramblin' there, hopefully you all can see where I'm going with this. Thanks
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.