Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-10, 11:31 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default J.Jones rod build-10-25-10 (pic hvy)

A rod built in memorial to his Mom that passed...Very happy to do this for him.
He wanted the same purple and green I used on my last build.
MHX MB783 blank ,Amtak Nanolite micro guides,Shaved Minima reel seat,Eva grips.With a memorial decal on top and rod specs on bottom.
The tiger wrap is two different shades of purple on top to help blend better with the purple winding checks.Keep the guide wraps simple with locking wraps.He using a Revo S with the rod and the balance is dead on the threads of the reel seat.Ive been using masking tape to pre-balance the rods as a mock weight to get the balance pre-epoxy..Seems to work really well.
Overall,I think it came out very nice and he gets to see it tomorrow.
It'll be nice to present this rod in person.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 10-26-10 at 02:18 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 04:39 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

"Overall,I think it came out very nice" Ya Tink?!? Sweet looking build for the man Waff. How do you like the butt cap inserts? I was thinking about trying them on my next one.
Old 10-26-10, 06:12 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Too damn pretty to use. That's some of the cleanest work I've seen from anyone doing custom rods. Attention to the details, the color coordination all come together in a work of art - that MAY be going a bit far, but it is my opinion. A scratch on that would ruin my day.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 06:56 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats beautiful Waffle. I bet you can't wait to see the look in his face when he sees it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 08:27 AM   #5
Jrob78

It turned out great! I agree with Keith, the look on his face will be priceless, might bring a tear to his eye!

You managed to make it stand out but still keep it elegant and classy. That's a hard thing to do with those wild colors. I love the Batson checks and Minima seat. I wish I thought those seats were comfortable because they look awesome!

Really great work for a worthy cause. I can't think of a better way for him to honor his mother.
Old 10-26-10, 09:52 AM   #6
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Waffle, that sure is a GREAT looking rod. I'd have to put it on the wall though. That's too pretty to risk scratching up. Good job!
Old 10-26-10, 01:52 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
Are the pics all running sideways instead of down?..They are on my screen?
Stupid Photobucket!

Bubba just about every build I do I use those buttcaps! Man I like em.
Really easy to install you just have to form a tenon at the end the grip on the lathe for the cap to slip over..I keep the tenon flush with the blank when I install the grip so its a solid mount when I epoxy on the cap...Make sense?...Mudhole offer the butt grips with pre-formed tenons for these caps as well.

Bassboogieman-thanks man that truely means alot!..Theres alot of opinions about what a custom rod should be..Obvisously high performance and components,but I strongly believe the artwork is a big part of a custom rod.

Joe whats funny man..After test casting this rod and palming it...It didnt feel near as bad as I remember??...I think I might build me one this year and put it to the test..Maybe Im missing out on something

I still need to work on my light source for pictures..
Old 10-26-10, 02:14 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Walker, that rod really look great! If I ever get around to rebuilding my crankbait rod, I'll check out those butt caps. What's the end look like? is it just rubber?

As for the pictures, they ran sideways for me on the standard IE browser, but not on Chrome. Try editing the post and hitting "enter" between each picture's link.

BB
Old 10-26-10, 02:24 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Walker, that rod really look great! If I ever get around to rebuilding my crankbait rod, I'll check out those butt caps. What's the end look like? is it just rubber?

As for the pictures, they ran sideways for me on the standard IE browser, but not on Chrome. Try editing the post and hitting "enter" between each picture's link.

BB
Genius Anthony,thanks!
Yea man the caps are just a heavy duty rubber on Mudhole ,under ''handle kits'' then under ''CRB handle system parts''
The aluminum trim for it is on that page as well...They also sell them together now for about 3-4 bucks

I also install them flush with the grip and without the trim ring...They still look really good.
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...-Handle-System
Old 10-26-10, 03:27 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Thanks Walker! Too bad they don't have a yellow trim ring. I'm planning on doing it to match my SKT Revo, so the brighter the yellow the better!

BB
Old 10-26-10, 03:58 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Thanks Walker! Too bad they don't have a yellow trim ring. I'm planning on doing it to match my SKT Revo, so the brighter the yellow the better!

BB

Yea I know..The dont have gunmetal either,but they have the winding checks?.Makes no sense.
You can always buy the silver and try to powder coat it yellow yourself.

Other options Ive seen is casting polyurathane resins in different colors,but that can be expensive,or maybe turning Yellow plexiglass on a lathe to size,than polishing it and reaming it to fit the butt cap.

Awhile back I wanting to turn down poker chips,but that didnt work out to well...Not enough plastic before I hit the metal core.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 10-26-10 at 04:12 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 04:35 PM   #12
CMorg

My goodness , your doing fantastic work. Your work just gets better and better. Its amazing.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 09:15 PM   #13
bamabassman

sorry man, no mere words can truly say anything to really tell what i think of this work.
Old 10-27-10, 07:22 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Yea I know..The dont have gunmetal either,but they have the winding checks?.Makes no sense.
You can always buy the silver and try to powder coat it yellow yourself.

Other options Ive seen is casting polyurathane resins in different colors,but that can be expensive,or maybe turning Yellow plexiglass on a lathe to size,than polishing it and reaming it to fit the butt cap.

Awhile back I wanting to turn down poker chips,but that didnt work out to well...Not enough plastic before I hit the metal core.
Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that! Powder Coating them just might work, I'll check out the yellow paint the next time at Net Craft. Now I'm getting excited to rebuilt this rod, lol.

BB
Old 11-04-10, 12:39 PM   #15
islandbass

Waffle, that is a mighty fine job you did, and I do like purple. It is such a piece of art that dare I say, if I had it, it might not see the water but be placed in a display case. It looks too nice to fish with.
Old 11-04-10, 01:52 PM   #16
WaffleJaw

Thanks IB!
You know I like my purple too!.
This rod look super clean with just the purple winding checks on it and no thread...It looked slick!
Old 11-04-10, 04:53 PM   #17
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice job WaffleJaw!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.