Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-08, 06:09 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default College Football Bowl Games

I enjoyed watching Notre Dame win the other day, kinda makes me wonder why they couldnt play like that during there regular season. ND's quarterback was on FIRE!
I'm watching Wisconsin and Florida St now, looks like its gonna be a good game too.
Lots of Good Football to enjoy.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 07:12 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You talk of football so here I am butting in!

ND might win a few more games next year, which will make the whole deal with Charlie Weiss very interesting. I am one of those who believe Urban Meyer is waiting on Tebow to leave to accept his dream job up there and that ND knows it - which is why Weiss was retained 1 more year.

UNC - WVU was the best game of the bowl year so far.

I think its possible that Wisc gets back in this game, they are moving the ball after all.
Old 12-27-08, 07:31 PM   #3
woody

That UNC vs. WVU was a great game, I'm a Mountaineer fan and it was exciting to watch those two teams slug it out there on the field, plenty of big plays made for some great football.

Wisconsin had better get it going if they want to win...
Old 01-01-09, 02:57 AM   #4
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I saw where Urban Meyer's Daughter signed at Georga Tech to play Volly ball I think it was today . You Think Meyers is going ND after the big game.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 03:28 AM   #5
cassidyta

I got to go to the holiday bowl this year. Not much defense, but it was fun anyways. Going to the Chargers Colts game on Saturday. I good football week for me
Old 01-01-09, 07:53 PM   #6
woody

Will the REAL Penn. State Nittany Lions please step forward!
Old 01-01-09, 08:29 PM   #7
bamabassman

woody....that is the real penn state. hahahahaha. hope we win tomorrow night. shame we lost our all- american left tackle. would really like to know the details of what happened. did an agent take advantage of him or is he truly that dumb. i am guessing BOTH.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 10:45 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

i knew better but i was really wanting penn state to throttle usc.

now i am wanting cincinatti to beat virginia tech.
Old 01-01-09, 10:56 PM   #9
bamabassman

c-rig, i hate BOTH teams. jo pa needs to retire. as well as bobby bowden. and what i really hate is that the commentaters (yes TATERS) ARE TALKING ABOUT HOW USC COULD BE IN THE RUN FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP, ha. LIKE THEY WERETHAT GOOD OF A TEAM. GRANTED THEY ARE GOOD, BUT NOT THAT GOOD. BAMA SURPRISED EVERYONE, INCLUDING MYSELF. but to say that usc is a title team? come on...ENOUGH of this crap.
Old 01-01-09, 11:02 PM   #10
WTL

Bama, I'll let you know if I hear anything definitie about Andre Smith. Right now I've heard tons of speculation, but I know the truth will come out.

I love Penn State. My second favorite team. But they dont have the speed in the secondary to match up with USC. They are better that all the other Big10 teams, but they had a mismatch which doomed them.

I'm worried about Utah. Very good team.
Old 01-01-09, 11:23 PM   #11
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Bama, I'll let you know if I hear anything definitie about Andre Smith. Right now I've heard tons of speculation, but I know the truth will come out.
The speculation that I heard from a die hard Bama friend seems to point toward the worst. He thinks that Saban knew that this was probably going on the whole year or a least the last half of it and the only reason Saban acknowledges it now and "acts" as though this just happened is because they are not playing for the national championship. My friend has been waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under him since Saban was hired. He thinks this may be it.

I am curious as to what the penalty would be if Smith was consulting with an agent throughout the year? What have been some similar penalties that the NCAA has given out to similar situations? Of course these questions are following the speculation that Smith was consulting an agent throughout the year, but I am just curious as to what is "typically" done by the NCAA.

Whatever the truth is, it will be interesting to see.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 11:53 PM   #12
WTL

I thought I was on ignore.

Anyways, there is no way we would have played him had Saban knew all year. So your friend is full of it. Our compliance department is the most anal in america after what happened in 01. This I state without reservation.
Old 01-02-09, 12:10 AM   #13
WTL

I want to add a little to my previous statement.

You said that your friend was concerned about the rug being pulled from under Bama. That is a valid concern given how we have constantly been our own worst enemy through the dark years. I can understand that.

There is a reason why it is not realistically what is at play here. Everyone around Alabama football now realizes that we were our own worst enemy. The only way our program can be stopped now is from within, by foolish dealings with the NCAA, and because of that we are now hyperactive compliance wise.

I know enough about the Smith situation to be of the opinion that he probably would have played at most other schools, I just dont want to go on the record yet. It seems the rule he broke was a team rule, not an NCAA rule. For the record, a player can chat with an agent, he just cannot make a deal with one. Oh, and the fact that Saban has said that Smith might return next year also should give you a pretty good hint that this is not of concern to the NCAA. Hell, if it were, Saban would not have said that the NCAA basically gave us the green light about the matter - he wouldnt lie to the media about the NCAA with the Nazis watching, that would just tee them off more.
Old 01-02-09, 09:28 AM   #14
bamabassman

we will probably know after the game tonight. saturday or monday.
Old 01-02-09, 12:00 PM   #15
bcklash

c-rig, there are some happy HOKIE fans on here today. I live about 5 miles from the stadium but it takes me 20 miles to get there.
Old 01-02-09, 07:10 PM   #16
WTL

Been telling everyone since I saw them in like the second week of the season, Ole Miss is a terrific football team. Proved it today. The Florida game was no fluke.
Old 01-05-09, 03:52 PM   #17
Fishnngolfn

This morning, I asked two of my coworkers what they thought about the Smith thing since they follow every move of the Tide. Btw, they were unbearable during the season. Anyway, they told me that it was Andre's cousin who took money from an agent. They said his cousin stated that he was acting on Andre's behalf (for whatever that is worth). It hasn't been stated as to when the cousin took the money and Andre Smith has refused to turn over his phone records without a warrant (things that make you go hmmmmm). I am not sure where they got this information but that is what they told me this morning. Interesting as to what comes of this. Smith is going pro anyway so much of this is just talk but it will be interesting to find out if and when the money changed hands with the agent.
Old 01-05-09, 05:16 PM   #18
WTL

That has been one of the rumors, that it was a cousin or uncle doing all the crap and not Smith.

Nothing comes of this unless UA knew about the money and played him anyway. See the USC Reggie Bush fiasco for a good example. Given the way he was abruptly suspended right before the bowl game, I think that would indicate who knew what when.

Of course I suspect you are hoping UA to be hit by NCAA sanctions. Lots of people are worried about Bama taking the SEC West back over. Lots of Auburn fans are hoping that Andre's cousin's dogcatcher accepted money from an agent before the Iron Bowl so that jackasses from lee county can claim that we should forfeit the iron bowl. Pretty lame.
Old 01-05-09, 05:32 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
That has been one of the rumors, that it was a cousin or uncle doing all the crap and not Smith. I figured as much from my coworkers. They are pretty knowledgable about these types of things. They think rather than act on knee jerk reactions.

Nothing comes of this unless UA knew about the money and played him anyway. See the USC Reggie Bush fiasco for a good example. Given the way he was abruptly suspended right before the bowl game, I think that would indicate who knew what when. I thought the same but who knows since Saban has been known to lie directly to the media.

Of course I suspect you are hoping UA to be hit by NCAA sanctions. Lots of people are worried about Bama taking the SEC West back over. Lots of Auburn fans are hoping that Andre's cousin's dogcatcher accepted money from an agent before the Iron Bowl so that jackasses from lee county can claim that we should forfeit the iron bowl. Pretty lame.
I honestly don't care whether they are hit with NCAA sanctions or not. The only reason I smile when they lose or they are hit with sanctions is because of the some of the ignorant jerks that call themselves Bama fans that I see regularly. These do not include my close friend or two coworkers. They are pretty cool about Bama (win or lose). I actually like watching Bama play since they play better and play better teams than my crappy Blazers do. My Blazers are hopefully going to get better.
Old 01-05-09, 06:44 PM   #20
WTL

Yea but Saban lied when he needed to before. He couldnt say he was thinking about leaving the Dolphins and everyone knew that. You just dont say something like that.

But I accept what you are saying.
Old 01-05-09, 06:54 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Yea but Saban lied when he needed to before. He couldnt say he was thinking about leaving the Dolphins and everyone knew that. You just dont say something like that.

But I accept what you are saying.
I honestly used to pull for Alabama many years ago and for several years because my best friend since 6th grade graduated from Bama. Heck, the first college football game I ever attended was Alabama vs. Houston at Legion Field. Alabama killed them and I loved it. Over the years, I have had to deal with too many of the ignorant Bama "fans" on a daily basis that has caused me to become very cynical towards Bama. I know each team has them but I have to deal with some real "doosies" if you know what I mean. Since I have no real allegiance to Bama, it is easier to just smile at the fools when Bama is down. Maybe I should just try to ignore them more instead of wishing ill on their team.
Old 01-05-09, 07:03 PM   #22
Fishing Fanatic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Too bad about the Andre Smith ordeal. I think it had a MAJOR effect on the outcome of the bowl game. I was hoping Bama would represent the SEC well. Felt kinda bad for Parker Wilson too. I've always liked him for his toughness. Hard to perform well when you are running for your life on every play. Eight sacks will kill you. And, I was shocked at how fast Utah was.
Fishing Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 08:54 PM   #23
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I honestly used to pull for Alabama many years ago and for several years because my best friend since 6th grade graduated from Bama. Heck, the first college football game I ever attended was Alabama vs. Houston at Legion Field. Alabama killed them and I loved it. Over the years, I have had to deal with too many of the ignorant Bama "fans" on a daily basis that has caused me to become very cynical towards Bama. I know each team has them but I have to deal with some real "doosies" if you know what I mean. Since I have no real allegiance to Bama, it is easier to just smile at the fools when Bama is down. Maybe I should just try to ignore them more instead of wishing ill on their team.
Maybe you should ignore them. We know we have them, theres not much that can be done about them. It comes with being the name school in state. I think a lot of Auburn fans are scared of them coming out of the woodwork - what they dont realize is we arent crazy about them either.

FF, its no coincidence that our other bad game this year - Tulane, where we had 175 yds of offense - was also without Andre. After the first two possesions in the Sugar bowl we had to become a pass-first team. With the exception of Julio, neither our schemes or personnel were conducive to that.
Old 01-05-09, 11:45 PM   #24
cassidyta

Well, the 3rd Qtr of the Fiesta bowl is winding down. I had told several people that I did not think Ohio State was in the same class as Texas. With a 10-6 score, I guess I was wrong.
Old 01-06-09, 12:04 AM   #25
bamabassman

cassidtya....they ain't gonna beat texas. they are a good team mind you...but not as good as texas. texas, texas tech, oklahoma and oklahoma state are all good teams and any of them could have been playing for the title besides oklahoma. bama played beyond their talent for the year. we probably won't win 12 games next year, but then again, we might. as of now i am thinking that florida, oklahoma, usc,ohio state will be the front runners next year. bama will be ranked high for awhile, then after the first lose...drop out of the top ten. next year now.
who will win between fla and oklahoma? toss up in my opion. either could win. both are that good. gonna be or SHOULD be a great game.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.