Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-07, 02:04 AM   #1
OUTLAW
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Smile Does a BASS PRO,have more fun than me?

Think about it......
If I had to fish tournaments for a living, Would I enjoy this sport. Not at all.Your always away,And its just not fun,I wouldnt be able to drink beer,or smoke, on T.V. And when I bend over to lip BuBBa you would see a half moon.'

I dont need any sponsers, besides,,,(Marlboro Budweiser, Merle Haggard) I dont need to promote any lures,scents,Banjo minnows, ect.

Point said, Id rather be a Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Thankyou , OUTLAW

Old 05-25-07, 11:29 AM   #2
patchino22

Point well taken. I fish because that is what I love to do....not what I have to do. My favorite thing to do is to be on the water with my friends and be able to share those wonderful experiences with them. I have so many stories that my friends and i will look back on unitl we are on our death beds.
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 11:53 AM   #3
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It's got to be a tough life overall. I love to fish tournaments though. If I was a single man or didn't have kids I would TRY to do it though.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 12:02 PM   #4
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

im with you bassaddict kids and wife really hinder it. but yeah i think that bass pros have a great time they travel all over the country with good friends, most of them are good friends. and they are around people who love to fish and know a lot about fishing all the time.(I would love to sit in on some of their conversations) let alone they get paid to fish. i see what you are saying though outlaw. its not as glourious as someone who doesnt know much about fishing would think. if you dont fish well you dont get any money. theres no retirement, no health care, and it is very expensive. let alone the time you spend away from your family. they asked guido hibdon when he is going to retire and he replied, "what am i going to do, retired people fish why not get paid for it." anyways being a pro has its ups and downs. but if you can do it well and make significant money i think its worth it.
Old 05-25-07, 01:06 PM   #5
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

It has to be like any other sport, and have its ups and downs.

I am sure the constant traveling is a pain. And who wants to catch fish every cast like they do on the shows
Old 05-25-07, 02:01 PM   #6
patchino22

My buddy's uncle used to fish on the tour (not a big name at all). I have spoken to him about it several times. He tells me that it really is a tough life. He says the traveling will wear you out and some of the conditions you encounter can get pretty crappy. He also told me that at one tournament in Michigan it was 8 degress out........and KVD was next to him fishing without a shirt and laughing while he was bundled up in layers freezing his a$$ off. KVD is a freak of nature.
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 02:28 PM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I'm interviewing (if you can call it that) to help out on a salmon charter on Lake Michigan tomorrow. No pressure, just netting peoplle's fish and watching them have the time of their lives. A dream job. Salmon aren't as much fun to me, but the oppurtunity to watch kids, chicks, and novice dudes catching huge coho is gonna' be a blast. I've often said that the only thing more fun to me than catching fish is watching others catch fish after showing them where, when, and how.

I couldn't fish the major tourneys, it's like gambling.
Old 05-25-07, 03:56 PM   #8
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Got a fellow in town that went pro. He didn't make it and had to come back home. It's a tough circuit with all the guys who have done it. Notice that all the names that you see are just the top pro's that excel. Think about how many that you don't see.
If you think that you can make it then go for it.
Old 05-25-07, 05:37 PM   #9
bassinbob

I don't know. Fishing pro-meat cutter. Fishing pro-meat cutter. Did you ever spend eight hours cutting chickens? I think spending a few hours signing autographs beats waiting on customers for 9 hours the day before a holiday. If I had the chance, yes I'd try it.

Bob
Old 05-25-07, 10:05 PM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It all depends on your attitude. If you love what you do for a living, it isn't work-it's fun. I've been lucky in that regard. I know exctly what you mean, though. As much as I love to fish I daydream about it-we all do-but spending 8+ hours in a boat battling strong winds for 3-4 days, drive 1000 miles, do it again, plus fulfilling your obligations to sponsors can be tough duty. Plus, if I HAD to fish I don't know that I would enjoy it near as much as I do.
Old 05-25-07, 10:26 PM   #11
Bender

I don't pay too much attention to the pros...in any sport. In fishing I just want to catch fish. It is good to hear of another Michigander doing well, like KVD or Kim Stricker (who reportedly lives about 5 minutes from me, I do see him in town every once in a while with his truck and sponsors names on it).
From what I have heard about the pros is they are either well off to begin with or they are extremely talented. My buddy fished with KVD when he was in his early teens and said he has never seen somebody with with such intensity; and that was years ago!
I prefer fishing for fun, my job is something else completely that I really like, but they stay seperate. How much "FUN" do you have at your daily job?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.