Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Poll: Do you recycle your line?
Poll Options
Do you recycle your line?

Old 05-26-10, 10:06 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Who recycles their line?

How many of you recylce your line?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 10:50 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sigh....recycling fishing line is a ridiculous idea. It costs more in time, trouble, and money to recycle it than to make new.

I know they do this to promote people not discarding their line in the water, which is a great thing. Personally, I have probably collected miles and miles of fishing line I find floating around in lakes. I have been horrified to find several pelicans and gulls dead, wrapped up in big tangles of fishing line. I can't think of many worse ways to die. On the selfish side, I also figure the line I clean up could be the line that was destined to get wrapped around my prop.

Don't bother recycling it...just throw it away! When you strip it of your reel, wrap it around something, and cut the "loop" into many pieces, so nothing can get trapped in it. That is what I do.
Old 05-26-10, 11:45 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Really, how economical can that be? My used/damaged line gets stored in a baggie until I get home then it's in the trash. When changing line at home, I put it in a plastic bag and in the trash.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 12:13 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

How else they gonna make toothbrush bristles and fake moustaches....magic?...I think not.
Old 05-26-10, 12:31 PM   #5
66KingFisher

Honestly, I had no idea it was a recyclable commodity....hmmmmm. I've never once in my life changed my line on the water,so thats not an issue for me, and any line changes I do at home the line gets disposed of in the garbage or burn pile.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 02:47 PM   #6
WTL

I sometimes use old braid to stitch buttons on work pants. Thats about all the recycling Im going to do with line.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 03:28 PM   #7
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I sometimes use old braid to stitch buttons on work pants. Thats about all the recycling Im going to do with line.
Ha! I have done that...
Old 05-26-10, 07:22 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Don't bother recycling it...just throw it away! When you strip it of your reel, wrap it around something, and cut the "loop" into many pieces, so nothing can get trapped in it. That is what I do.
That's what I do too.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:25 PM   #9
rrw4258

Nope, don't recycle fishing line here.... burn baby burn!

Ryan
Old 05-27-10, 02:44 PM   #10
Raul

Hmmm, letīs see, no, I donīt "recycle" my line, nobody here recycles their line because we are not recyclers, dispose of it for recycling, nope, Iīm in Mexico and we donīt have line recycling bins like you guys in the States have, so it goes to the trash but cut into teeny tiny weeny pieces for the reasons Nofear stated, I donīt want any animal to get tangled, trapped and die a horrible death by fishing line. Burn it ? uhhh, nope, I donīt think thatīs a good idea, I think that with the fumes produced by vehicles and factories we have more than enough air pollution and I wonīt contribute with it more than I already do.

If you have the opportunity of dumping your old fishing line in a bin, why not do so ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 09:22 PM   #11
shawn
BassFishin.Com Member

If I'm at a lake that has a line recycling bin, I will sometimes. Otherwise, I just cut it up and throw it out as others have said they do.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:49 PM   #12
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

When I do swap my line out, I usually keep a big pair of scissors handy... so just before I toss it, above the trash can I cut it up tangles and all so they end up in 6-18" lengths. Less chance of looping and hurting animals and also easier to spread out and break down once it reaches its final destination.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 02:14 PM   #13
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I wad it up & store it in a plastic bag. At any one of my trips to the local Bass Pro Shop, I turn it in to the reel counter for recycling. Berkley sponsors the program, & it's probably available through stores handling their products everywhere. It's just too easy to do.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 02:42 PM   #14
BluWyoming
BassFishin.Com Member

Please do not let my wife read this... Do not get me wrong, if there is a center or bin near I will comply right away. My neighborhood does not have any recycling program but my wife saves everything, often times scoring me many trips to the nearest center 20+ miles away. It is not the distance it is the fact that people in Hampton Roads area can not drive.
BluWyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 12:57 AM   #15
Rebbasser

My answer is sometimes. We have city recycling bins here so when I respool it goes in the recycle bin. On the water line, whether it is mine or line some inconsiderate sphincter muscle left laying around, I usually put it in a trash can. I do make it a point to pick up ALL line I find at the lake and at least put it in a trash can or haul it home and then throw it away.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.