Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-11, 12:32 AM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Monofilament, What does it mean

Hey guys, I have to admit that for a while now I have been more than a little confused by the term "Monofilament" as it applies to fishing line. It appears to me that this term has been used and become associated with the older nylon type lines that we grew up using. It does by definition cover those older nylon type lines ,but I believe that it also covers by definition allot of the newer style lines also, such as Fluorocarbon and Copolymers. What does monofilament mean, basically it means a single strand, so using that definition it would apply to most fishing lines other than braid and fused type lines, that use more than strand.

So what is the difference between a nylon monofilament line, and a copolymer monofilament line. My understanding is this, nylon line is made from a single polymer, or monomer if you prefer. And if you were to give it a graphical representation it would look like this. A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A . Copolymers on the other hand use multiple monomers and combine them at the molecular level, through a process called copolyimerzation. There are several different flavors or these copolymer blends but they can be reperesented here for sake of arguement to look something like this AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA BBB. By using different monomers, the makers of fishing line can control different aspects of the fishing line such as abrasion resistance, limpness, and to a degree line diameter.
So what about a Fluorocarbon coated copolymer line. My understanding is this, it is still considered a monofilament line. It can be represented here by something that looks like this.
FC FC FC FC FC FC FC FC FC FC FC FC FC
AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA

If is basically a coating applied to the copolymer line in this case.

I would like to discuss Fluorocarbon lines and what makes them different at some point as well, but thought that this was starting to get kinda long winded and had allot of different areas to discuss as is.

I would love some input on this, as I am no chem eng. or anything, this has just been something that has interested me for a while and I have been trying to piece it together.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 12:38 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you've got the gist of it covered, Tav.

The reason monofilament was called that, was because it was introduced as the alternative to the braided lines of the day. Obviously, braided lines were there first...although it was natural fibers, and not the Spectra or Dyneema stuff we have today.

You are correct...fluorocarbon is technically a monofilament line, just of a different material than true "mono."
Old 01-12-11, 12:56 AM   #3
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good explaination thanks.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 01:20 AM   #4
bamabassman

now i am confused guys. are you saying that mono is really just another term for flouro? or are oyu saying that "mono" is a covering? i am sorry, but i don't get it.
Old 01-12-11, 01:59 AM   #5
Jrob78

Very interesting.
Old 01-12-11, 05:00 AM   #6
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
now i am confused guys. are you saying that mono is really just another term for flouro? or are oyu saying that "mono" is a covering? i am sorry, but i don't get it.
No, it simply means the line in question is made up of one material. What we normally call mono-filament has traditionally been nylon, but the term is not limited to nylon. Braid, because it's usually made with multiple strands (4 or 8 or whatever) cannot be called mono-filament, unless it was made with only one strand.

There is one line in the PLine family that is made with 3 nylons. Well, you guess it. It would technically be a tri-filament.
Old 01-12-11, 07:20 AM   #7
walkeraviator

My wife would hate you. She hates when i bring up technicalities in the definition of objects. BUt you are right. By definition Monofilament is anything that is a single strand of a homogeneous material. But fishing is complicated enough without having a different name for each type of monofilament.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 01:24 PM   #8
bamabassman

ok, i got cha now guys. thanks!
Old 01-12-11, 01:30 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Tav, you are correct in the fact that the term monofilament does cover most all fishing lines (with the exception of braids). This is just one of the rare cases where fishermen have actually over simplified something. We use the term mono to refer to nylon monofilament line, and just plain fluorocarbon to refer to fluoro monofilament lines.

Copolymers are still monofilament lines, just made of one or more polymers like nylon, fluorocarbons, etc. Even lines made of a couple different types of nylon polymers would be considered copolymers, but we normally reserve the term for lines that contain different types of polymers.

As for fluorocarbon coated lines... I'm not really sure about this one.

BB
Old 01-12-11, 01:33 PM   #10
nofearengineer

A coated line would still be a "mono" line, imho, as I think it's more important to make the distinction between braided and non-braided.
Old 01-12-11, 01:45 PM   #11
bamabassman

bryce....that just made me think of another question. are ALL braided lines coated with something? andif so, what? just wondering.
Old 01-12-11, 02:02 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
bryce....that just made me think of another question. are ALL braided lines coated with something? andif so, what? just wondering.
John, most braided lines are coated with some kind of wax like substance. This is mostly to make it smoother, but it usually wears off after fishing it a little while. This is when you notice your braid become limper.

BB
Old 01-12-11, 02:59 PM   #13
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
John, most braided lines are coated with some kind of wax like substance. This is mostly to make it smoother, but it usually wears off after fishing it a little while. This is when you notice your braid become limper.

BB
Not to mention the increased buzzing sound when you cast it on most rod and reel combos.
Old 01-12-11, 06:24 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
No, it simply means the line in question is made up of one material. What we normally call mono-filament has traditionally been nylon, but the term is not limited to nylon. Braid, because it's usually made with multiple strands (4 or 8 or whatever) cannot be called mono-filament, unless it was made with only one strand.

There is one line in the PLine family that is made with 3 nylons. Well, you guess it. It would technically be a tri-filament.
The line that you are refering to is P-Line evolution I believe. It is still a monofilament, as it is a single stranded line. It is a Copolymer monofilament, the fact that they are using 3 nylons to create the single strand is what makes it a copolymer.
Old 01-12-11, 06:53 PM   #15
bamabassman

thanks anthony, tha tis what i thought anyway. but i was wanting to make sure.
Old 01-12-11, 07:41 PM   #16
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
So what about a Fluorocarbon coated copolymer line. My understanding is this, it is still considered a monofilament line. It can be represented here by something that looks like this.
AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA BBB AAA

If is basically a coating applied to the copolymer line in this case.

I would like to discuss Fluorocarbon lines and what makes them different at some point as well, but thought that this was starting to get kinda long winded and had allot of different areas to discuss as is.

I would love some input on this, as I am no chem eng. or anything, this has just been something that has interested me for a while and I have been trying to piece it together.
Tav, you may not be a chem engineer, but you probably could have been, for you seem to have a clear fundamental understanding of all this. Back when I still worked, I was a chemist and I would say that everybody who has commented here is pretty much on track.

I don't want to muddy the waters here, but your mention of flourocarbon lines made me think of the relatively new line which is a copoly core with flourocarbon coating. This is apparently a coextrusion product. If we could look at the end of this line under great magnification, it might look like two concentric circles. The inner circle would be the core polymer and the outer layer would be the flourocarbon. Apparently this provides the low visibility of flouro line along with some of the other properties of whatever line is imbedded in the core.

I will look forward to additional discussion of flouro line properties whenever everyone else is ready.

/
Old 01-12-11, 09:19 PM   #17
Tavery5

Thanks Harv, this is something that has interested me for a long time, I still only have a basic understanding of differences in the lines and polymerization process. I am still putting information together for my follow up post on fluorocarbon lines. I look forward to your input. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-11, 09:56 PM   #18
G-Man

Im the new guy soaking up everything like a sponge and readng everythign I can get my hands on or find on the internet.

I found this interesting reading:
http://www.stripers247.com/Monofilam...uorocarbon.php

I also found this intersting to read:
http://www.alamoflyfishers.org/node/178

Then there is the BLOGon Bassfishin.com that I reallly enjoyed
http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/

For what I can gather Fluorcarbon is better most of the time because
It stretches less
Sinks better
Has better action
Is more sensative to the bottom and BITE
Does not reflect light
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:06 PM   #19
bamabassman

g-man....that all depends on what bait oyu are using i think pal.
Old 01-12-11, 10:08 PM   #20
G-Man

Im a new bee to all this ...your right!
Old 01-12-11, 10:10 PM   #21
bamabassman

it's ok g-man. you are opn the right track. keep soaking it up man. you'll be catching hawgs before ya know it. lol. it IS addictive ain't it? hahaha.
Old 01-12-11, 10:13 PM   #22
G-Man

Addictive. Thats an understatement.
The other night my wife wanted to know if I had a girlfriend and if I was chatting with her on the internet because I stayed up all hours of the night reading fishing stuff on the internet.
Old 01-12-11, 10:35 PM   #23
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Im the new guy soaking up everything like a sponge and readng everythign I can get my hands on or find on the internet.

I found this interesting reading:
http://www.stripers247.com/Monofilam...uorocarbon.php

I also found this intersting to read:
http://www.alamoflyfishers.org/node/178

Then there is the BLOGon Bassfishin.com that I reallly enjoyed
http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/

For what I can gather Fluorcarbon is better most of the time because
It stretches less
Sinks better
Has better action
Is more sensative to the bottom and BITE
Does not reflect light

G-Man, these articles are some good reads, and looks like you are on the right track.
I would caution you about buying into the marketing and advertising for fluorocarbon lines. They all will boast of things like, abrasion resistance, knot strength, a refractive index that makes it nearly invisible in water, low stretch.
My opinion of Fluorocarbon line is that some of these statements simply are not true.
Do some good research, talk to allot of people who fish this type line and you will get a good feel for which ones are better than others. Most of all, try it yourself and form your own opinion.

Starting out, I would recommend looking at a Fluorocarbon coated copolymer line. My opinion is that this line offers some of the same benefits at a much cheaper price. I would take a look at P-line Floroclear, and CX, seems to be excellent line and will not break the bank.

Good Luck
Old 01-13-11, 08:54 AM   #24
BigBassin144

G-Man, I completely agree with Tavery on the fact that some of the things they say about fluoro are just not true.

SOME fluoros have less stretch than mono, others don't. Usually, the ones with less stretch are stiffer, have more memory, and worse knot strength. A good example of a FC with stretch is my personal favorite, Seaguar InvisX. This line does stretch like mono, there's not doubting that. But it's one of the limpest FCs I've used and has great knot strength for FC (a line notorious for not very good knot strength).

The no stretch factor is how the industry explain FCs increased sensitivity over a nylon mono. But because most do stretch, some even as much or more than nylon mono, why is it more sensitive. I attribute the sensitivity to the fact that it is denser than nylon mono. Similar to how tungsten weights transmit vibration better than lead because they're denser.

I do believe FC is more abrasion resistant than a nylon mono. But again, this varies with the FC line. Like I said early, Generally, the more abrasion resistant the line, the stiffer it will be and the more memory it will have. One of the stiffest FCs I've used was Stren 100% FC. It was also one of the most abrasion resistant. While InvisX isn't as abrasion resistant, it is much more manageable.

I'm sure I believe that it is completely invisible in water, but I think it is harder to see (to humans at least, who knows what the bass see) than mono. I guess its more about personal preference. I prefer to use FC in super clear water conditions because I have confidence in it.

BB
Old 01-13-11, 12:31 PM   #25
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is some line being made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3njA...layer_embedded
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.