Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-11, 10:50 AM   #1
SMLadk
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Back to fishing...

I want to start fishing again (years ago in a different state I used to fish almost every day for trout). I live on a bass fishing lake (no trout). I have seen the pros catch fish in the water right off my dock. I guess everyone uses lures and live bait fish. Is it possible to just use earth worms? I'm about to buy a pole. It's funny I live on this lake and haven't really fished yet. I like watching the bass boats go racing by--especially in the fog. I've painted a few. And ridden in a few. They are fast! I'm kind of embarrassed to ask my fishing friends if I can just use worms. Thanks!!!
SMLadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 10:57 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

SMLad,

First off, welcome to the site.
As far as your question, yes, earthworms will catch fish. They may not be the best if you want to target a specific species, but when just starting out species shouldn't be a big concern. I fished Smith Mountain as a kid and caught more fish with nightcrawlers than any other bait I ever used.
Old 04-18-11, 02:13 PM   #3
SMLadk
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you! I've seen people catch catfish here too. I'm looking forward to getting out there.
Old 04-18-11, 06:01 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the site SM! Glad to have ya here. Nite crawlers will catch bass just fine. The exciting thing is they catch pretty much everything. You never know whats going to take your bait. A lot of guys I know use spinning tackle and no weight, but rather simply hook the crawler through the collar and toss it out near good looking cover and let it settle slowly towards the bottom, with an occation twitch of the rod tip.
Old 04-18-11, 07:13 PM   #5
SMLadk
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks! I'll try it. I can see the fish under my dock sometimes. Usually on hot days. I see other people catching fish nearby pretty often. Now it is getting warmer so...
Old 04-18-11, 08:15 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the best site on the web sml. just ask and oyu will recieve answers to ALL your questions. but beware of some jokes ok? give what oyu recieve on everything. jokes included,lol.

now, what are you wanting to know? specifically i mean. no such thang as a dumb question here, just stupid answers. ask whatever you want and we'll try to help you out.
Old 04-19-11, 07:49 AM   #7
SMLadk
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you! I'm sure I'll be having more questions after I buy the rod and get it wet. This week I'm sure!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.