Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-11, 04:24 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tackle Purchase vs Crack Addict

My partner on Saturday caught almost all of his fish on a 4" robo orange crusher. Being that I am fishing the same lake for my next tourney I decided to pick up a couple of packs. So I spent my lunch break running out to the local shop.
Well, the "needed" 2 packs of worms morphed into 4 packs. Additionally, I decided that I "needed" to pick up some drop shot hooks and weights. While glancing through the clearance stuff, I found some 8" worms that I just had to have. Being they were on clearance, I figured that I should go ahead and get 2 of them.

Why did I compare this to a Crack Addiciton?

The original plan was to spend about $7. The final total came to $45. I ended up putting back one pack of hooks because I had $40 cash in my pocket and didn't want another fishing charge to show up on the credit card statement. Additionally, I found myself making sure that the receipt was thrown away when I got back to my office. Furthermore, I found that I could not properly distinguish between a need and a want once I was in the presence of the goods. Lastly, I will leave the stuff in the back of my car until I have an opportunity to put it in the garage undetected.

Yes, my name is tom and I am a Tackle junkie.
Old 03-28-11, 05:05 PM   #2
nobass

HELLO TOM come on in and welcome remember "'one day at a time " WANT YOU TO MEET JOHN AKA BAMABASSMAN HE WILL BE YOU SUPPORT PERSON. you are not alone in this, we have all beEn there. relaspes OCCUR often normlly in spring after long winter. BPS.GANDER MNT. TACKLEWARHOUSE BAB BAD BAD . BASSFORUM WORST OF ALL THEY ARE ALL TACKLE JUKIES WITH FUNNY NAMES, NO FEAR , BASSBOGIE. AND KEITH DOG OK WATCH OUT FOR TRAV THAT BOY WILL SELL YOU ANYTHING. REMEMBER 'ONE DAY AT A TIME' IF IT REALLY GETS BAD WE WILL SEND THE BAIT MONKEY TO HELP YOU THROUGH IT. "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww"

Last edited by nobass; 03-28-11 at 05:11 PM.
nobass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 05:30 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Tom, LOL. I did the same exact thing Friday. I had taken a tray full of cranks with me to work. I knew it was a slow day so I was at my desk changing out old trebles to the new KVD shorts. I ran out of hooks with just a few baits left. At lunch time, I went to GM with the intention of buying one pack of hooks and nothing else. I didn't even make it to the hook section before I was looking for a basket. My next tourney is sponsored by Big Bite Baits. I can only use those baits for any soft bait techniqes. Gm had a bin full of Big Bites on sale. I was almost to the cash register when I rememberd I needed some hooks. The hooks were 4 bucks but the final bill was $50.00 My wife wasn't home when I got there so I didn't have to hide the sack in the truck. Did I mention I already have a 12 in by 12 in cardboard box full of big bite baits.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 05:50 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
My wife wasn't home when I got there so I didn't have to hide the sack in the truck.
God I do that way too often...

I went to Barlows today to pick up some more purple thread (3 bucks a spool)

My receipt says $39.16 and Im still scratching my chest and twitching.
Old 03-28-11, 05:58 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

as your support person, i should tell you that this will be easier for you to recover if oyu were to send ALL the "new" baits and such to me. i will take care them as if they were my own buddy. i will gradually give them to you a little at a time so as to help you kick the habit slowly. you can do this tom, i am here to help.

trust me tom, as an addict myself. i am only trying to help you buddy.
Old 03-28-11, 06:35 PM   #6
bcklash

Try explaining to your wife that this is not alot of baits, but a small boat. It didn't go well. So now the BassinBandit bought 90% of them. Busted again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	baits 001.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	6467
Old 03-28-11, 07:03 PM   #7
cassidyta

John,
I would consider sending you the 4" robo worms. If I send the 8" worms, please give them to Lisa since she is the only one in the Family who will catch a worm bigger than the bait.

Lash,
I am sure that didn't go over too well. My wife once asked why I had so many of the same colored lures. I told her it was in case I lost one. Her response, don't lose them.
Old 03-28-11, 07:29 PM   #8
Jrob78

I'm in the exact same boat my friend. It is very much an addiction. I've found myself worked up to a near frenzied state in the tackle store, more than once, it's euphoric. When I think of all the money I've spent on tackle that I really didn't need, I cringe....drug addicts say the same thing.
Old 03-28-11, 08:03 PM   #9
keithdog

OMG, I am laughing so hard here!!! This is halarious. Maybe because it strikes so close to home, haha Seriously though Tom, I think you should send all your new stuff to John and let him give it back to you a little at a time. It would be so much cheeper than paying for therapy or living in a halfway house. Just not MY house because we'd be in trouble if we ever hooked up! hahahaha
Old 03-28-11, 08:07 PM   #10
nofearengineer

I think you guys need to mount a midnight black ops mission to steal your balls back out of your wives' purses.

Tell 'em to STFU and go make you a sandwich.
Old 03-28-11, 08:09 PM   #11
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I think you guys need to mount a midnight black ops mission to steal your balls back out of your wives' purses.

Tell 'em to STFU and go make you a sandwich.
Well, there is that approach. Based on my own experiences though, I can tell you that the child support and alimony monekys are far worse than the bait monkey
Old 03-28-11, 09:10 PM   #12
bassinbob

I have an idea. Let's send about a hundred things to each other and then we won't have to spend money on new things. After a week just send a hundred things to somebody else. Every week you get a hundred new to you things. That way you can slip in almost anything you want without the ladies knowing anything.
Old 03-28-11, 09:17 PM   #13
Bass Assault
BassFishin.Com Member

Atleast you can't go to jail for this addiction...... and your teeth/overall health shouldn't suffer either....
Bass Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 09:21 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4i9QFh7zKg
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 09:42 PM   #15
bamabassman

hahahahha, this is so true gang. and bass assault....you CAN go to jail....if oyu don't pay the bait Monkey bill, BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 03-29-11, 07:41 PM   #16
islandbass

Fortunately I no longer fall victim to that. I purposely walk into the shop with zero cash. Credit cards are out of the question. I consider walking out without buying anything a moral victory.

Still there does seem to be a correlation to buying gear and drug addiction.

I have also wondered out of all the stuff we buy, what percentage actually gets used. I have some things around still unopened since I started fishing about 7 seasons ago.
Old 03-30-11, 05:53 PM   #17
Bass Assault
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahahahha, this is so true gang. and bass assault....you CAN go to jail....if oyu don't pay the bait Monkey bill, BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This is true.

I think it's more, impulsive behavior rather than an addiction. I don't necessarily feel compelled uncontrollably to go do it over and over. But, if the opportunity presents itself, I fall victim...if that makes sense. Example: I go to Academy to get some baseball cleats for my boy and the opportunity is there. We all know what happens next... All that.
Bass Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:52 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok,ok,ok........ya'll have talked me into it. i will volunteer to be ALL of ya'lls support person. so jsut send me ALL THE STUFF YOU BUY. and i will let you have some as i see oyu NEED it. ok? if oyu are in favor, jsut let me know and i will pm oyu my HOME ADDRESS.

better eyt, just send me the MONEY oyu would spend on the items and i will purchase said items FOR YOU. and send them as i see fit. (charlie sheen) WINNING!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 03-30-11, 09:45 PM   #19
flukefreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Man all this is so true for me too,I'm just glad that i'm not alone.I went to Academy last Sat. for 2 boat seats for my jon boat(a 40 dollar purchase)and left there 150 dollars poorer.I too am an addict ,my buddy tells me the lures i buy catch my eye more than they catch fish lol.
flukefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 01:58 AM   #20
islandbass

Sounds like it's time to for a Bass-anon group! Hi, my name is islandbass... And I'm a baitmonkey-holic.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.