Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-12, 08:35 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tear Jerker

While tossing a jig around this afternoon I happened to catch this fish. Didn't have a tape in the boat but based on length in relation to my arm and my tackle box, this fish was every bit of 27". I knew as soon as I saw her there was something terribly wrong. Weighed only 5.8 a 27" fish in these parts is ALWAYS 10-11 lbs or more. These pics don't really show what an emaciated old girl this actually was. I've always sorta wondered what happens to old fish that manage to live to the end of their lifespan. After 40 years on the water I've never seen a "floater" that I felt must have died of old age....but I swear this one can't last much longer

Anyway notice the size of her mouth and head, then how skinny she was. I've seen unhealthy fish before but this was just heartbreaking, and not because I wished I had caught her at the weight her length would have allowed. The saddest thing was as I unhooked her I looked down in her throat and the ends of two plastic lizrds were sticking out. When I pulled them out they were all swollen up like they had been in the water for months (yall know what i mean?) And not that they were lodged in there and could have stopped her from eating, no they were just loose. I'm convinced she had grown so weak that she had resorted to just sucking up anything that looked remotely edible from the bottom. When I pulled them out her throat didn't close back up like it's supposed to, it just gapped open like she had no muscle tone (or will to live) left. I of course turned her loose but the the thought crossed my mind to take her to shore and bury her with some dignity rather than know she'd soon be pecked to death by the turtles, but alas no shovel in the truck.

Included a pic of a BIG crappie bycatch on a KVD 1.5

Old 11-14-12, 09:17 PM   #2
bassinbob

She seems to have good color. I wonder if she has more plastic in her? I did read how a lot of injested plastic could do this to a fish. Sort of sad either way. Beaut of a crappie.
Old 11-14-12, 10:30 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

interesting for sure keneth. maybe by removing the plastics oyu saved her? let's hope so pal. and that IS a nice crappie.
Old 11-14-12, 11:29 PM   #4
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

KDS- I ran into a similar situation here a while back. Once I find the pic I'll post it up (not to hijack your thread, but to show emaciated this fish was). I couldn't get over how "ugly" it was. I never carry a tape or have a scale. When I seen the bucket coming up I got super excited as I thought I had a hog on there and just didn't want to fight. WRONG...this fish was super long and extremely skinny.

That crappie is a nice slab!

EDIT: Found it...even though I thought she was ugly, I felt bad for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emaciated Bass.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	8348  

Last edited by USMCbassman; 11-15-12 at 12:21 AM.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:44 PM   #5
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My guess is those swollen plastic lizards in her throat were exactly why she was so emaciated, that's actually fairly common. They get stuck inside fish and prevent proper digestion and eventually the fish starves to death. You may have saved her by pulling them out, assuming there were no more in her stomach.

Nice catch regardless.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-12, 03:24 AM   #6
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Fish will eat plastics off the bottom of the lake that in turn swell up and will not pass through their intestines. So basically they starve to death because they can't digest their food properly. I'm sure removing those lizards will help but chances are she has more in her stomach already. I read a really good article awhile back about fish eating plastics, since then I do what I can to make sure all my plastics make it to the trash by the end of the day instead of ending up in the lake.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 06:00 PM   #7
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the crappie looks a nice but unusual, i'd usually expect to fine somthing like that out in exotic places.......

its a shame about the bass though, we tend to have similar fates with some pike that goes belly up over here, usually it'd be terminal deadbait traces left by incompetient anglers with gear that is not suitable for deadbaiting.
Old 11-18-12, 10:46 PM   #8
flfireman

They claim most bass over 5 pounds have almost a quarter of their stomach filled with discarded soft plastics. Imagine how big they would get if we would stop discarding used plastics off the side of our boats. I will yell at you if I catch you tossing plastics off my boat. Have a wally world bag tied to console for used plastics.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.